“Disappointing”

Hampton Inn Lancaster
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I’m a writer/photographer (mostly travel and nature) which means I travel a lot. In recent weeks I’ve been trying to figure out if I’m becoming too critical or perhaps too demanding. I often rely upon reviews on Trip Advisor and similar sites to select accommodations. Lately, I find myself in strong disagreement with what others write about these places. The Hampton Inn, Lancaster, is a good example of this slightly unsettling failure in expectation.

Upon checking into the Inn, I was surprised at the rather perfunctory and unfriendly attitude of the two desk clerks. I had the distinct feeling that my presence was interrupting the more important activity of talking with one another about non-work subjects. The room initially appeared reasonably clean and orderly and in this area, I have no serious complaint. I set up my laptop and attempted to sit down at the desk to check my e-mail. This is when I discovered that the desk chair was broken and could not be adjusted. Wondering if I was simply overlooking something obvious (which I’ve been known to do) I called the front desk. The clerk answered with “yeah” and immediately corrected herself and followed with the more appropriate “front desk”. I explained about the inoperable chair and the clerk said nothing could be done since there were no other chairs. I’m of average height – 5’ 7” – but sitting in the chair was similar to sitting on the floor while attempting to reach the desktop. Although frustrating, I suspect my attitude toward this Inn might have improved had anyone shown even a modicum of concern about this unacceptable issue.

When making my reservation and again upon checking into the Inn, I specifically requested a quiet room so that I might work. Therefore, I am puzzled as to why I placed on a floor where several young families were also placed. For much of the evening and well into late night, children were running up and down the hallways, pounding on each other’s doors and engaging in the normal play of children. I don’t dislike children and do not expect children, even in public environments, to be aware of the needs of working adults or to contain their often-high energy. I do not consider the children in this situation to be “brats” or abnormal in any fashion, they were simply kids being kids. Because the motel was clearly not full, I must question the decision to assign a room to a single working adult amidst families traveling with younger children.

The following morning, I visited the breakfast room and encountered yet another indifferent, even rude worker. The person who apparently was in charge, stood with arms folded, near the breakfast bar, unsmiling and when asked a simple question (where a guest might find milk) merely scowled while pointing. I offered a good morning, but the worker kept scowling and didn’t bother responding. I had booked two nights; however, since I clearly could not work (the desk chair and the noise level) and was clearly unwelcome, I decided to check out early. I was not surprised when the desk clerk merely shrugged when told of the noise and lack of working chair.

Perhaps I was previously spoiled by having spent the three previous nights at the Hampton Inn in Ephrata Pennsylvania, where the staff is universally extremely welcoming, friendly and who cannot do enough for their guests. However, despite the high marks given by other reviewers, I found this particular Hampton Inn extremely disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
12  Thank Shoya
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Lancaster

Reviewed 7 April 2012

Tucked in a quiet area with a nice restaurant and small shop in walking distance

Room Tip: Smoking rooms available
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark F
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This is the first review of anything I've written online. As soon as we checked in, the front desk was extremely unfriendly and not helpful. We felt as if asking any question was a huge burden to them and the two young girls helping us snickered to each other and spoke behind our backs. We also saw them ridicule an elderly man who was asking if the hotel had any aspirin. Their attitude ruined our good spirits upon having just started our trip. Award winning, I think NOT.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Dexter134524
Reviewed 2 April 2012

After reading many reviews, I chose to stay here on a 2 day business trip which I traveled alone. It was a great choice. The hotel that held the conference did not get great reviews so I chose Hampton Inn which was only five minutes away. The location was great because it was only a mile off the main road which had most of the other hotels, restaurants, stores, etc. so it was quiet but easily accessible. All the staff were always pleasant; rooms very clean and comfortable; breakfast quick and good; coffee and cookies in the evening; and the microwave/refridge in your room was perfect for leftover dinners if staying more than 1 night. The bed was one of the most comfortable and as good as more expensive hotels in which I have stayed. With all the choices you have in Lancaster, Hampton Inn is worth the stay. I may even have to come back with my lady friends for a shopping trip rather than a business trip!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank PasadenaWoman
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I really like this Hampton Inn - I'm a Diamond member with Hilton and stay at dozens of properties every year and would rate this one as one of the best Hamptons they have.
I really like having some dining choices within walking distance as well.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank hiflya
Lancaster_Hampton_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Lancaster, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

hiflya,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review of the Hampton Inn Lancaster. We certainly appreciate your feedback and we really like to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay with us. It is clear, with your Diamond membership in Hilton Honors, that you do travel to many Hilton brand hotels and we certainly appreciate your business and loyalty.

As you mentioned we do have a couple of restaurants within walking distance that all our guests can enjoy and many more within a short drive from our hotel.

We certainly hope to see you again at the Hampton Inn Lancaster.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel while visiting family during the holidays. There are so many good things about this hotel that I don't know where to start. The amenities are great and they have one of the best free breakfasts I have ever experienced. The staff is wonderful and they go out of their way to make you feel at home. The hotel and grounds are kept immaculate and the housekeeping staff does a wonderful job with the rooms. The only downside of my stay was that it was too short. I will definitely be revisting this wonderful hotel soon.

Room Tip: My room was on the 4th floor and it was super quite. There is a fantasic outdoor pool so try and boo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank blonblu1
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My family vistited this hotel again in Dec. 2011. It was just as pleasant as when we visited in July 2011. The hotel still provided the same excellent quality of service, ambience, and food. The free breakfast bar still had many options and the food was very tasty. We went during Christmas time and the lobby was nicely decorated and even had a beautifully decorated Christmas tree. We will definitely return again!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank eringobragh08
Lancaster_Hampton_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Lancaster, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

eringobragh08,

First of all, I wanted to thank you for posting your feedback of our hotel here in Lancaster, PA. I was thrilled to read that you and your family had a wonderful experience, yet again, here at the Hampton Inn Lancaster. By the sounds of it you really enjoyed our breakfast and the decorations we had around our lobby. Our staff was completely responsible for the decorating and I am glad you enjoyed what they did.
We look forward to seeing you again in 2012 if your plans bring your to Lancaster.

Hope all is going well for you in 2012.

Ben Larsen