“Nice Hotel, but everything is extra!”

Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Nice Hotel, but everything is extra!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The hotel was nice, it's clean and close to lots of restaurants and shopping. What I didn't like is that they up charge for everything - Who charges per day for internet service anymore? This hotel does. Parking was also ridiculous. Parking was a per day charge, which I expect in a city location where parking is mostly garages, BUT, I was told that parking is one daily fee if you don't move it. If you plan to move your car it's a higher daily price - WHAT? That to me is crazy. The staff was nice but not very helpful.

2 Thank Daina C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Korean first
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Lancaster is my home town, and I always wanted to stay in this hotel after they built over the historic department store , Watt & Shand. Preserving the history of downtown Lancater while adding the 19 story hotel impressed me. I guess my expectations were too high, because my stay was very frustrating.

When I went to check in, the Bell Captain had allowed two buses to enter the turn in, and traffic was backed up down Queen Street. Then, the bellman had the buses back out, almost causing a few collisions on Queen street. Time from arrival until check-in- 35 minutes.

When we got to the room, we found a double with two small beds instead of a king( when we booked, it did say King or two doubles, but these double beds were very small).

On the way to the room, we passed a room service cart that was then allowed to stay in the hallway for several hours. That is gross and shows an inattentiveness on the part of the staff.

I was turned off by the $ 12.95 charge for WiFi. If I am paying almost $ 200 per night for a room, don't nickel and dime me for wifi.

Our bath tub was was clogged and drained very slowly. How does the housekeeping staff not notify maintenance about a clogged tub?

The Front Desk staff was very nice and seemed concerned about our complaints. They promised to fix the things they could, but by then, it is too late.

In short, this is a nice property that has poor staff execution. It is a shame, because, with the right attention to detail, this could be an awesome experience.

There are nicer hotels in town with the same price point, stay at those hotels until this place gets its act together.

Room Tip: Overnight Parking is $ 15.00- if you shop at sotres downtown, ask them to validate some hours off of...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank LVWanderer
col
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and other family members. My younger brother went to YTI institute and we were in town to pick him up for break. My mother and her husband enjoyed the full night club atmosphere on the first level while I enjoyed the comfy bed and great shower. This hotel is kind of pricey but it is in a great location it is literally right in the middle of everything. My brother bragged about this hotel and told me they often have NFL meetings and conventions at this hotel and I believe because it is a top of the line Marriott. The staff were some what nice and friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank wendy h
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 September 2013

There aren't many affordable places in Lancaster City Center. This hotel is certainly convenient (the tourist Central Market is across the street).
The place is very clean, the staff friendly (although NONE of the housekeeping folks I found could speak ANY English at ALL - some signs worked to get towels and coffee), the whoopie pies at registration (in a variety of flavors) welcome -but

IT is freaking expensive - and even if you have a room you are paying for parking.
So - if you are used to NYC prices - this is fine. If you were hoping for middle America costs (heck! Reno Sands is sometimes $25) you will have some sticker shock.

Advice to the hotel - include parking with the room- come on! Also - invest in some simple language classes for your staff - coffee, towels, clean, check out, etc - and simple responses....

REALLY nice staff, though!

3 Thank tressed
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I know Lancaster quite well as I grew up in this area and was quite pleased with the caliber of this Marriott. It is centrally located so guests can enjoy historical sites such as the oldest known city market (Central Market, which is a short walk from the hotel), There is also the Amish country, and many quaint towns within a days drive such Strausburg, Lititz and Hershey, which are steeped in history and charm to explore. I stayed at the hotel while attending a wedding reception held there. The ballroom was quite lovely, and I'd give high marks for the array of appetizers which were served. The only complaint with the food is that I had pre ordered steak for dinner and no one asked me how I liked it cooked prior to serving it so I ended up with a well done, dry steak when I would have preferred medium rare. I have eaten in their restaurant previously and enjoy the food but feel most of it is overpriced for the location. The customer service was also very good as all the staff were friendly, helpful and had pleasing personalities verses just the nice smile and meet and greet scenerio. I enjoyed the room as it was quite comfortable, very clean and extremely quiet. I had a room with two double beds and had a very restrful night. (I didn't find the beds too firm as some other guests mentioned. ( if I had a soft mattrress I would likely think it was of inferior quality or just plain old.). Overall, I would give the hotel a rating of nine and witll definately stay there again on return trips to Lancaster.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank OPTraveler100
Galloway, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We only stayed here one night, but this hotel was clean, modern, and well maintained. The hotel rooms were spotless. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The one and only draw back of this hotel is the parking. You have to park in the city owned lot which costs $15 a night. The lot is connected to the hotel by a bridge so that it is convenient for hotel guests, but the cost is the issue. Other than that I have to say it was definitely an excellent stay.

1 Thank Erin M
melbourne
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

This is the best hotel in town and perfectly located. The spacious rooms appointed to a high standard and represented good value if you better the rack rate. Parking costs an extra $15 per day or more for valet. Unfortunately wifi is not free either, a shame in this day and age. The restaurant serves excellent meals, again not at economy rates. We were the only diners there at 7pm on a Friday.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple