“Nice view but lacking” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
New York City, New York
“Nice view but lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

If you like conventions and families and lots of amateur dancers and people talking about religion at you in the elevator - hurry on over. Come pay 18.00 to self park only about two city blocks from the entrance or pay 31.00 per night for valet service and then you'll have a nice spot near the hotel bridge. The room is beautiful. The view is spectacular. But there are not fans or heat lamps in the bathroom where the hot and cold labels are worn off. WiFi is only a mere extra couple of dollars 14.95 per night - for your convenience. Everything is additional. How nice. The staff seem more concerned about their conferences and families travel for dance competitions and folks there to see whatever speaker is in the theater. I liked my room. I just wish I didn't have to hear children running up and down the hallways at all hours of the day and night - or riding the elevators with no parental chaperones. I've stayed here now and Lancaster Arts and Hilton Garden. The Hilton was the nicest but requires driving -taxi service is deplorable in Lancaster. Lancaster Arts has thin walls and a little bit of a walk from the town center - and pretentious in its way - but it has Free WiFI, Free Parking, Free Buffet and heat lamps/fans in the bathroom. I didn't hear any children running anywhere or conventioners or whatever you'd like to call them. So I think next trip I know where I'll be staying. If you like noise and to be charged for every last blip, then stay at the Marriott. Although the view - spectacular. So sad. It has such potential.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from any groups that might be staying in the hotel. Guests are very friend...
Green Features: They have many little signs asking you to re-use towels. I don't re-use towels. I'm sorry if I cost them the extra money to wash clean towels for the two nights I stayed, but they can just take it off my parking bill.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Richard S
Michelle R, Manager at Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for choosing the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square during your recent trip to our historic city. We sincerely appreciate your business and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay.

We are indeed fortunate to be able to offer our guests some of the most spectacular views of Lancaster City and are happy to hear you enjoyed them!

Our entire team is constantly striving to improve our guests’ experience and we welcome the opportunity to address any concerns directly. I can be reached at 717-239-1600.

Kind Regards,

Michelle Reynolds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Korean first
Wilmington, DE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

The Marriott is in a great location in Downtown Lancaster, within easy walking distance to shops & restaurants. I've stayed twice and both times the rooms have been spotless and well-appointed. The staff members are all very friendly and eager to please. This time, there were a couple of minor things in the room that need attention: a loose phalange on the shower curtain rod and the back of the desk was wobbly. I'd be willing to bet the average person wouldn't notice it over the course of a one-night stay. The fitness center is OK - a few treadmills and ellipticals, benches & free weights, plus a small room with a couple of mats & balls for stretching or core work. The restaurant is nice, but pricey. The menu is very limited; happy hour seems good, though. As others have mentioned, parking and wi-fi are pretty pricey. Since I wasn't spending a lot of time in my room, I was OK with the free wi-fi in the lobby (which is large, with lots of space to lounge). The only other thing worth noting is that there is a church nearby which has bells that toll on the hour (one ring for each hour, so 11 tolls at 11 am or pm). If you're a light sleeper like I am, be sure to bring ear plugs. All in all, I would definitely stay here again.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed here for a conference so I couldn't tell you if it is convenient to other things in the area. It is a very attractive, spacious and comfortable hotel. The front desk, restaurant and front door staff are all very helpful and considerate. The bedroom and bathroom are a nice size. Blackout curtains kept the room dark at night. They accommodated my request for a room away from the elevator and ice machine. The food at the on site restaurant was good but expensive - as are the drinks. The fitness room is small but was never crowded and the one time I used the pool (also very nice) I was the only one there. I enjoyed my stay and felt like I was on vacation though I was there for business. Other people have mentioned restaurants within walking distance so I will warn you not to go to the Red Rose Restaurant. The service is unbelievably slow.

Prince George's County, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Location: a central as it gets
Parking: Skip valet and park in the garage. I was fortunate to have the fee in my hotel price for my conference but it's still cheaper than valet. It's literally around the corner to park and a walk way that will bring you right into the hotel.
Check in: outstanding staff greet you and want to ensure a pleasant stay.
Restaurant: Amazing happy hour specials nighty from 5-7 pm. Delicious margarita!!!!! And the crab cake and fries weren't bad at all. I'm from Maryland so I know crab cakes.
Room: beautiful appointed. Comfy enough beds. Okay views.
Convention services: excellent staff again, beautiful conference spaces, and decent food.

I would definitely stay here again. I hope you find this review helpful.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jknecole
Montreal, QC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Overall, this is a very good hotel: clean, friendly, efficient, well laid out. The size of the rooms is good. The main down side, as others have noted, is the extra charges for everything, esp. the internet, which didn't even work very well in the rooms (it was slightly buggy in the lobby too). The restaurant is overpriced, and there are better food options within walking distance of the hotel. A plus is the location, with several decent restaurants and cafes nearby, as well as an excellent farmer's market.

1 Thank ferdtelvin
Amherst, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Here for business conference....was really concerned that after the price per night that they wanted to charge $12.95 per day for wireless internet access....we went to the front desk and they waived the charge but you have to ask of someone who has the authority to make the change. Rooms were good but the maid service was not consistent....sometimes it was great and other days the maid only did the very least minimum. didn't clean everything on the same day

1 Thank Russ P
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

This hotel was great. The beds were wonderful with clean and fluffy linens and the room was clean. The bathroom wasn't superb but it was fine. The shower curtain was a little dingy. We thought the pool/fitness area was top notch. Our front desk check in guy, Hugh, was fantastic. We did order room service and despite the hotel being quite busy we got our food pretty quick.
I would definately stay here again. We got a great rate and everything met or exceeded my expectations. The only small issue was that some of the elevators were broken so there was only one functioning and we had to wait about 20 minutes for it.

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor and it was nice having a view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple