“Very nice hotel; just be aware of a few problems”

Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Cranford
“Very nice hotel; just be aware of a few problems”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a very nice hotel. Rooms are nice and clean. Its centrally located, just across the street from the great Central Market. The staff is very nice, very helpful. But I guarantee you that you will have trouble getting breakfast here. I stay at this hotel all the time and I cannot remember a time when I got good service for breakfast. Never enough servers/wait staff. Not sure why they can't crack the code on how to run this restaurant. The food is very good if you can get it. So, there are some nice coffee shops and breakfast places in the neighborhood, Commonwealth on Queen, etc. The bell captains will help you. Also, they charge a ridiculous fee for parking. Drop off your bags and park around the corner in a garage for half the price.

Room Tip: The higher up, the further away you are from the loud bar
Green Features: They try: they have recycling bins in the room. I like that. They do the towel thing. Have controls for the thermostat
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lydia W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were so excited to try a new place in Lancaster. We have stayed elsewhere with our five year old and have been happy at our other hotel, but we saw a great deal on travel zoo and figured we'd give it a try...wish we hadn't. Not kid friendly...not warm and inviting. Cold, impersonal, irritating...no one seemed to have the same story about anything. We are told we can use the pool before check in but get up there to find we need a room key to enter. We are told we can park in the garage and get in and out but never informed to use the same punch card, so we were stuck unable to get out for 15 minutes while we tried to resolve this. The pool was cold one day and sweltering the next. The hot tub was freezing one day and boiling the next . The floor was so slippery around the pool...they used the kind of tiles that one would never use at a pool because it created an ice skating rink. My daughter slipped and fell and smacked her head on our first night and the ice machine outside wasn't working for me to put ice on her head, so I called the front desk (in my panic, I rushed to the ice machine outside the pool area and got locked out because my stupid room key was in with my stuff...thankfully, someone was there to let me back in). It took 15 minutes for someone to get to me with the ice...ridiculous. Thankfully, my daughter seemed to be ok. The next day when we went to the pool, she almost slipped again because like I said, those tiles are like an ice skating rink. I'm sure others have fallen because there were wet floor signs and cones everywhere (ummm...yes, it's a pool, of course the floor is wet). Terrible. Irresponsible. What else...one of our room keys didnt work at all. No microwave in room or on floor or in hotel to use (we wanted to heat up our daughter's milk). Ridiculous. Everything felt like a big deal. Even getting our luggage from the car to the hotel involved a luggage cart with a valet...we couldn 't just use a cart. And downtown lancaster is not much to write home about. Wouldn't stay there again and wouldn't recommend...especially if upu have kids. Not a kid friendly place...not really a friendly place. And stay away from the pool unless you want to break something.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Imduf
Michelle R, Manager at Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for choosing the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square during your recent trip to our city. We sincerely appreciate your business and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay.

We are constantly striving to improve our guests’ experience and we welcome the opportunity to address any of our guests' concerns directly. I can be reached at 717-239-1600.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Was in Hershey Park for the weekend and decided to stay in Lancaster over a town adjacent to Hershey. Decided on the Marriott and very glad I did. I'm generally not a big chain kind of guy but this place was solid. The rooms aren't cutting edge or anything but they are very nice and the staff is super friendly. They recommended several restaurants in the area that really hit the spot. Wouldn't hesitate to come back when I'm in the area again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This hotel is a fantastic place to stay with excellent customer service . The front desk is so helpful and even the room service is awesome . I had misplaced my cell phone and the front desk staff were extremely helpful in finding my cell. The concierge is veru friendly and helpful .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed here one night during a college trip in PA. Nice location within walking distance to restaurants. Close to F&M. We stayed on the club level so we had a nice breakfast included in our rate.
I would recommend this if you are looking for an easy place to stay for one night.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Methuen
Reviewed 16 May 2014

As with our visit to this hotel for Zenkaikon 2013, we found the hotel to be absolutely fantastic. The front desk and lobby personnel were extremely helpful, the hotel was spotless, and the breakfast buffet was delicious, and plentiful (there even was an omelet station where they made omelets to order).

Green Features: They provided lots of recycling drop stations both in the guest rooms and in the public areas.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
South Bound Brook, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I'm torn between a poor review or a positive one here. I believe the gentleman at the front desk's name was Huegh or something along those lines and I apologize for not remembering his name. He was an AMAZING front desk agent who was polite and really trying to help me.

that's about all the positive experience I had with most of the staff. I don't normally like to do this, but I have NEVER had so much of a hassle with the most simple of things.

the hotel itself was clean, and the room was great.

I get it, I checked in on a weekend of a large convention, and the hotel was busy, and I'm certainly not guaranteed an early check in, but instead of just telling me they couldn't check me in due to high occupancy the night before I got a 5 minute speech that was ridiculous and never answered my questions from the lady at the desk. I just don't understand the "policy" of being unable to check someone in early unless 50% of the rooms are ready, I had traveled fora while was tired and was working the con and needed to get my table set up and showered. The desk agent sounded like she was reading off a piece of paper in front of her and did not care. Again this is not about trying to check in early, this is about the service I received, I have never at any other hotel property had that much of an issue just be honest with the person at the desk, I finally got that from Huegh who simply said they were very busy and rooms were not ready as early as they wanted but he'd inform as soon as he could to get me into my room. Which is all I was asking for.

Then the whole weekend the room next to use was smoking and I told the desk twice and both times I got a "we have to wait till everyone checks out to do anything." It was the worst thing to deal with when trying to sleep.

Now 2 days after I check out I check my bank account and there is the pending charges I expected to see as well as a full credited amount for my entire stay. I called the hotel to tell them and ask why I was being refunded completely, and I can't get an answer and have been transferred to accounting, the desk, and at least one other person who are all telling me the same run around speech.

It just seems no one at this hotel actually wants to fix any issues. Now my bank account is messed up and I have to go and try to straighten this out. I have never had such an issue. No other hotel has ever been an issue financially, except this one, and its a huge inconvenience.

The housekeeping staff was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING polite and I couldn't have asked for anything better from them.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Amber S
Adam S, Manager at Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your experience and I would like to follow up with you via phone. Please call the hotel at 717-239-1600 and ask for Adam. Thank you for your time and I look forward to speaking with you.