“Low rating - lacking Marriott standards”

Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
wvtravelbug
“Low rating - lacking Marriott standards”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2010

I have to give this hotel a low rating due to its staff and standards. It is a pretty hotel (despite the construction going on while we were there, forcing us to take an alternate, further entrance if we had our stroller), but the staff seemed inexperienced and unwilling to help. I understand that crib reservations are not guaranteed, but it was Memorial Day weekend and we had no alternative solutions but to keep our reservation and stay there with our young baby. The manager Judy pretty much had a "What do you want me to do about it" attitude...she didn't even go so far as to give us directions to a store to buy one. Thank goodness for navigation to the local Babies R Us. She also basically made the comment (paraphrasing here) that if we wanted good service we shouldn't have booked our reservation through hotels.com. Our room keys didn't work...I had to use my cell phone to call the lobby and then stood outside our room for 15 minutes with a baby and 3 year old waiting for someone to come let us in. We had paid upfront for parking ($14/day) but were given the wrong passes not once but twice, resulting in sitting at the exit gate waiting for my husband to run back to the lobby so we could get out of the garage. We went into the business center for a quick second and were charged $3 to Google something. I took our 3 year old to the pool and a maintenance man and manager were in the process of removing people who had come in through the back door to swim and weren't hotel guests. Oddly enough a man on the elevator made a comment that he didn't know if we were locals or not but that he is, and he's constantly surprised at what this hotel DOESN'T do. Definitely not up to Marriott standards. I wish we had been able to get a reservation at one of the nicer hotels in the area but they were full due to the holiday. Will never go back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank wvtravelbug
JennSchram, General Manager at Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, responded to this review, 7 June 2010
On behalf of the staff and management of the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, I want to express sincere appreciation for all constructive feedback offered by our guests on this forum. I also want to apologize for any inconvenience that has been experienced at our hotel. We take the opinions of our guests very seriously and work very hard to continuously refine our guests’ experience by assessing our own performance and learning from such valuable feedback.

Our number one priority every single day is to provide all guests with Marriott’s highest level of service and comfort. We always appreciate the opportunity to address any concerns brought to our attention directly. Our management team can be reached at 717-207-4000. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at any time.
Thank you again for taking the time to communicate your feedback. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Mark Moosic, General Manager, Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
Virginia, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

I'm a big Marriott fan and this is my first stay in this hotel. It's new and very impressive. It is connected with the convention center and incorporates historic structures into the building. Super-friendly staff, excellent design and ambiance, and spotlessly clean.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donnmein
Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2010

Stayed at the Marriott Penn Square on 3/26/2010 for one night while traveling for business. This hotel was spotless and the staff was wonderful. The rooms were perfect & they upgraded me to a higher floor becasue I was a rewards member. I would absolutely recommend this hotel for both business & pleasure and I will stay here again when traveling to Lancaster.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank nfahey
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2010

valet parking was not a problem at all.
staff were friendly,
great location

Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank wolala
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2010

We stayed one night during the American Quilters Society extravaganza. A lovely, clean, hospitable hotel. Their employes were helpful, friendly and readily available. We're making plans for next year!

Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank suesboys
FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2010

Hello convention thank you Jeff so much, I stayed at this hotel for a Quilt Convention and I just want to say the staff was great to us, a security guard name Jeff Leed was went out of his way to help me load up my van after the show I am handicap I just want to say he went above and beyond his duties of being a security officer and I am looking for seeing him and the other staff next year at the next convention

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank kow22
Brooklyn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2010

I've stayed at this hotel three times in the last year, with mixed results. The location is perfect, directly opposite the Central Market and easy walking distance to number of interesting local restaurants (Annie Bailey's, Fractured Prune, etc). The beds are incredibly comfortable, as was the room itself. The bathroom, however, had dust on the shelf, and there were few toiletries on one occasion. The breakfast in the restaurant was overpriced and disappointing.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family