“One of my favorite Marriotts”

Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Detroit, Michigan
“One of my favorite Marriotts”
Reviewed 2 July 2010

I have stayed at many Marriotts and this is one of my favorites. I have stayed here several times over the past year. The hotel staff is quite helpful particularly the parking attendants. The rooms have always been clean and comfortable. The workout room is excellent. The restaurant and staff are first rate.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gola42139

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We stayed at the Marriott for a wedding. A large group of us reserved rooms on the block reserved by the Bride and Groom. Check in time was 4pm for a 4pm wedding. I don't know who at the Marriott organization thought this was realistically possible.

The hotel staff planned incredibly poorly for the arrival of dozens of hotel guests. Many people had to get ready in the small spa locker rooms. There were 10+ women in a two sink bathroom that all needed to do hair, makeup, and change into dresses. I heard some guests were unable to check in even at 5:30pm.

Two big thumbs down for the front desk staff. They were not even apologetic for the major inconvenience. They acted like it was par for the course. I will never return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
8 Thank Senor_Bogart
JennSchram, Manager at Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, responded to this review, 9 July 2010
On behalf of our entire team here at the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, I want to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while staying with us. Providing Marriott’s high level of service and comfort to all of our guests is our number one priority. We thrive on feedback and take opportunities such as this one to learn better ways of serving our guests.

It is true that there is an inherent conflict with a 4 p.m. wedding and a 4 p.m. check in time. If wedding guests cannot arrive the day before the event, our preference always would be to extend the courtesy of early check in whenever humanly possible. Unfortunately, during higher occupancy times, it becomes more unlikely that we are able to extend that courtesy. If this is the case, we can provide an alternate space for our guests to use to prepare for their event in a sincere effort to assist them in managing the schedule conflict.

We are grateful for the opportunity to host you here at the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square. We hope the rest of your experience was memorable and enjoyable.

Michelle Reynolds
Rooms Director
Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed 24 June 2010

This has everything typical of the modern Marriott hotels. They have a beautiful indoor pool next to their spa, and a fitness center that is okay for a quick workout. The concierge is very friendly and helpful, especially in suggesting things to do in Lancaster. The only complaint that I have is that when I checked in, the girl at the front desk hassled me about giving me the government rate because I am not a PA state employee, but an employee of another state there for work purposes. It bothered me even more because she said nothing about it to my coworker, and the hotel was almost empty (I was the only person on my entire floor the first night, and very few people checked in the rest of the time I was there). I stayed here because I was working at a company that was in the absolute middle of nowhere, and there were no other decent hotels nearby. I would stay here before I stayed in any other hotels in Lancaster.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank keb1234
Boston, MA
Reviewed 12 June 2010

Pros: Clean and modern facility, friendly and helpful staff
Cons: Neighborhood dicey at night, self parking fee confusion

My young son and I stayed here over a weekend visiting the Strasburg Railroad. I reserved this hotel via Priceline and was very pleased with the results. Upon check in, they did not have any rooms with two double beds, but the very kind woman at the desk upgraded us to an executive room free of charge (which hotels NEVER do when you book via Priceline). The room was very nice – granite surfaces, huge windows, very comfy beds, HDTV.

We arrived late at night and as we neared the hotel, I noticed that the neighborhood was not the greatest. I made sure I took ALL of my valuables and double checked my car was locked when I left the self parking.

One note about the self parking – make sure you get your parking ticket validated at the front desk. I paid my self parking fees at the kiosk in the garage because that’s what I was told to do by the garage. When I checked out, I noticed that a self parking fee had been billed to my room. I pointed this out when I saw this to the front desk and they immediately removed the charge on my bill.

Despite these small issues, I would stay at this hotel again if I am in the area.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank embraer
wvtravelbug
Reviewed 6 June 2010

I have to give this hotel a low rating due to its staff and standards. It is a pretty hotel (despite the construction going on while we were there, forcing us to take an alternate, further entrance if we had our stroller), but the staff seemed inexperienced and unwilling to help. I understand that crib reservations are not guaranteed, but it was Memorial Day weekend and we had no alternative solutions but to keep our reservation and stay there with our young baby. The manager Judy pretty much had a "What do you want me to do about it" attitude...she didn't even go so far as to give us directions to a store to buy one. Thank goodness for navigation to the local Babies R Us. She also basically made the comment (paraphrasing here) that if we wanted good service we shouldn't have booked our reservation through hotels.com. Our room keys didn't work...I had to use my cell phone to call the lobby and then stood outside our room for 15 minutes with a baby and 3 year old waiting for someone to come let us in. We had paid upfront for parking ($14/day) but were given the wrong passes not once but twice, resulting in sitting at the exit gate waiting for my husband to run back to the lobby so we could get out of the garage. We went into the business center for a quick second and were charged $3 to Google something. I took our 3 year old to the pool and a maintenance man and manager were in the process of removing people who had come in through the back door to swim and weren't hotel guests. Oddly enough a man on the elevator made a comment that he didn't know if we were locals or not but that he is, and he's constantly surprised at what this hotel DOESN'T do. Definitely not up to Marriott standards. I wish we had been able to get a reservation at one of the nicer hotels in the area but they were full due to the holiday. Will never go back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank wvtravelbug
JennSchram, General Manager at Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, responded to this review, 7 June 2010
On behalf of the staff and management of the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, I want to express sincere appreciation for all constructive feedback offered by our guests on this forum. I also want to apologize for any inconvenience that has been experienced at our hotel. We take the opinions of our guests very seriously and work very hard to continuously refine our guests’ experience by assessing our own performance and learning from such valuable feedback.

Our number one priority every single day is to provide all guests with Marriott’s highest level of service and comfort. We always appreciate the opportunity to address any concerns brought to our attention directly. Our management team can be reached at 717-207-4000. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at any time.
Thank you again for taking the time to communicate your feedback. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Mark Moosic, General Manager, Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square
Virginia, USA
Reviewed 16 May 2010

I'm a big Marriott fan and this is my first stay in this hotel. It's new and very impressive. It is connected with the convention center and incorporates historic structures into the building. Super-friendly staff, excellent design and ambiance, and spotlessly clean.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donnmein
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Stayed at the Marriott Penn Square on 3/26/2010 for one night while traveling for business. This hotel was spotless and the staff was wonderful. The rooms were perfect & they upgraded me to a higher floor becasue I was a rewards member. I would absolutely recommend this hotel for both business & pleasure and I will stay here again when traveling to Lancaster.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business