“Great, fun hotel with terrible beds”

Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I found this hotel on Trip Advisor and gave it a shot based on the past reviews. I was visiting the area with my two sons (3 and 6) and thought it would be more fun than the other options. We booked a king room with bunk beds. Although I was told when booking that I would probably be able to check in early (check-in = 3pm) the room wasn't ready until 2:58. Oh well. The hotel was generally great: immaculate rooms, fun pool area, beautiful lobby. I really did like the place -- until it was time to go to sleep. We had room 132 and the king bed was, hands down, the worst mattress I have ever slept on. Ever. It sloped off to the side and felt like a brick in the center. I gave up at 2:30am and just stayed awake. When my older son awoke, he complained about the top bunk being hard as a rock. Unfortunately, when I provided the feedback to the gentleman at check-out his only response was 'oh, ok.' Frankly I would have expected more. I really (really) DO want to return, but not at the expense of a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid room 132
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Westchestertravel
JosephChiccarine, General Manager at Fulton Steamboat Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Steamboat Passenger,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay aboard the Fulton Steamboat Inn. We aim to provide all of our passengers with a memorable experience, and I apologize that we uncharacteristically fell short on this occasion.

Our crew takes a great deal of pride in the facility and maintaining high standards for our passenger comfort. All of our mattresses have been replaced within the past three years to ensure our passengers get a good night’s sleep. Furthermore we rotate our mattress quarterly to make sure they break in evenly. We understand there are differences in each mattress, and what our passengers may prefer. We selected a top grade mattress that we felt would suit our passenger’s needs.

We would love to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future, as your recent experience is not indicative of our superior focus to guests, and our crews’ dedication to creating memorable experiences. I would like to suggest joining our Captain’s Club, which entitles our frequent passengers to a 15% discount in Huckleberry’s Restaurant & Tavern, a 10% discount on guest room rates, and 50% off room rates on Sunday nights throughout the year. We have implemented this, and other programs, to support our philosophy of providing our guests with an exceptional value, and memorable experience aboard Lancaster County’s Most Unique Full Service Inn. To take advantage of the Captain’s Club, visit our website, to which a link is provided above.

Kind Regards,

Joseph A. Chiccarine

There are newer reviews for Fulton Steamboat Inn

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Don't let its touristy, tacky theme tuen you away. I chose it based on great Travelocity rating and so glad I did. Living just 25 miles from Fulton, I never thought I would stay there. Then the ice storm happened and we had no heat. The hotel gave a room discount due to our emergency and breakfast (from menu) complimentary. That really surprised me as hotel rooms were selling out due to so many without power in neighboring counties. We had no children with us, so were upgraded to a suite on the no-children floor. Extremely clean, friendly staff and very nice room with a seriously comfy mattress. I would definitely recommend this place to visiting friends and relatives. Only thing not high end was the restaurant - it was far understaffed, but I don't think they anticipated so many winter guests. Food was good PA Dutch fare. I wasn't interested in swimming, but they have an indoor pool and the hours 10 pm to midnight are kid free.

Room Tip: If no kids traveling with you, ask for the no kid floor. Incredibly quiet!
1  Thank TravelBeWare
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed on the Sun deck, adult's only. VERY clean room with a fireplace. Service was first class. Hot tube was great. Indoor pool was a little cold for my taste. If you want a GREAT place to get away and relax this is it. They do not have room service. So I ordered take out and brought it up to the room. Only drawback I could fine.. And had a pleasant surprise, We meet the builder. Super guy...

2  Thank GRAYWHISKERS
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

After booking another place down the road for our romantic weekend together, my girlfriend convinced me to cancel it and book this place instead, because she liked the way it looked and the reviews it got online. This was one of the best calls she's ever made. Everything about this place was top notch, and if you're a history lover like me, you'll love the ambience of being on a 19th century steamboat with Victorian furnishings (I felt at times like we were on the Titanic!) The restaurant and tavern were both awesome for breakfast and dinner. (Sign up for the Captain's Club on the website ahead of time to receive 10% off your stay and 15% off food!) The staff was very accommodating, especially Marsey at the front desk. Pool and hot tub were nice, too. I highly recommend this place, and I know for a fact that we will be back in the future. (On a side note, take any "terrible" review of this place and any other place with a grain of salt. Most of the people writing them don't even know how to spell or use proper English.)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mjenisch
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I came here with my boyfriend for a weekend getaway in lancaster. We are SO happy we stayed here, and we absolutely love it!!! It's impeccably clean, ornately decorated (they take the steamboat theme very seriously - it's wonderful and unique), and the food is exquisite!!! Furthermore, ALL the staff members were so friendly and went out of their ways to ensure we were comfortable and taken care of. Shout outs Marsey at the front desk, who went above and beyond to help us get a dinner reservation and meet our needs, Marie at the restaurant, and Matt at the tavern. We also had time to check out the pool and hot tub - both great!!! We will absolutely 100% be returning here on our next trip - we can't wait!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shelleybelly103
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My wife and I were attending a Foreigner concert over at the American Music Theatre. We had passed this hotel many times and always wondered if it was any good, so I booked a night there. We were both pleasantly surprised, as you really kind of feel like you are on a steamboat. The rooms are nicely done and we both enjoyed a drink at the bar before the concert. The pool apparently stays open until midnight with adult swim from 10-midnight. We wanted to try it, but didn't get a chance.

I would definitely stay here again, but there were a few minor downsides. The door to the hall must be paper-thin, as we kept getting awakened by just about anyone who walked down the hall. The mattresses were also a bit too hard for my wife's taste, but I was fine.

Room Tip: Maybe find a room that doesn't open up to a main hallway to the front desk or is otherwise less...
1  Thank DECruiser
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I look forward to stay here every time we travel. Can't wait to go back down for another weekend of unforgettable fun and entertainment. I actually got engaged in one of there suites on New Years and I thought it was the best place to do it and she said yes!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Cshaw12
JosephChiccarine, General Manager at Fulton Steamboat Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experiences Aboard Lancaster County’s Most Unique Full Service Hotel! We are delighted that you enjoyed your accommodations with us, and look forward to welcoming you and your future wife aboard again in the near future!

On behalf of the crew here at the Fulton Steamboat Inn, we would like to congratulate you on your recent engagement! We are thrilled that we were your choice destination for such a special occasion!

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you aboard again in the near future and best wishes!

Kind Regards,