“Fulton Steamboat Inn-Customer Service at its Best!”

Fulton Steamboat Inn
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Gaithersburg, MD
“Fulton Steamboat Inn-Customer Service at its Best!”
Reviewed 20 May 2009

The Steamboat Inn does not rest simply on being a “one trick pony” with its only feature being the appealing exterior. No, the interior was comfortable and beautiful and clean, and the beds, oh so comfortable. The pools were clean, open all hours, and fun. The playground was safe and wonderful for children. And it was impressive to have the wonderful pond to walk around, and see families gathered in the gazebos playing cards or sitting outside and talking. My children loved the ducks, and the baby ones in particular. In the morning, my husband and son woke up early to see the horses next door and visit the bunnies. Oh and that is not to even mention the great fish they could feed while we sat in rocking chairs eating our chocolate chip cookies and punch!
As nice as all that is, the truly spectacular part of our stay was the staff. I called about 3 times before our stay and the front desk staff was helpful and courteous. We have a 20 month old baby, who needs a nap, so the staff arranged for an early check-in so early that our room was ready at 12:30! Unheard of! It was my son Jack’s birthday, and when he checked in the staff already had a stuffed bear behind the desk waiting for him. Later, the gift shop woman heard it was his birthday and treated him like royalty, showing him toys and giving him fish and duck food. Every time we passed the front desk, which was often, they said hi to us and tolerated the questions and monologues of our 4 year old. We had a wonderful dinner in the bar, where again the customer service was spectacular. I do not know what they do to foster such wonderful customer service in the staff, but can honestly say I have never seen it done so well.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank campbellfam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
New York
Reviewed 20 May 2009

We stayed for just one night, we have stayed there before. I is a great place. We wanted to borrow the dvd player and it was missing, so they sent someone to the store to buy a new one and then delivered it to our room. In this life it is hard to find someone that will go out of thier way for someone else. We get so used to hearing "you are just out of luck." This experience set it in stone that we will not stay anywhere else when we go visiting Lancaster, PA.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pearlcross
New York
Reviewed 7 May 2009

The room was large and most importantly very clean. Loved our stay here. The food was amazing and the service was great. We would definitely stay here again.

Vic and Louise

1 Thank ambernson412
Wheeling, WV
Reviewed 5 May 2009

My husband and I spent three nights at the Fulton Steamboat Inn the last week in April and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I've never sailed on a Steamboat, but have taken cruises, and the ambience and layout reminded me very much of a cruise ship (the smaller, more intimate kind, not today's megaships). The young lady at the check-in desk was professional, friendly, and very helpful. We arrived, having some car trouble involving our tires, and she looked up the number for a couple of nearby service centers. We were able to get the problem taken care of quickly, so that it didn't interfere with our travel and sightseeing plans.

We had a room on the third "deck," which is the child-free deck, with private balconies. While it was too chilly to sit out there, it was nice to be able to step out and look at the beautiful scenery whenever we wanted. Thought the Inn is just off a very busy intersection, our room overlooked several beautiful farms. We could see buggies traveling down the roads, and watched an Amish farmer plow his land, just on the other side of the parking lot, using a team of 5 horses. We commented that we hardly needed to travel further into Amish country since our view was almost all we could want. The room itself was outstanding, very large, with an extremely comfortable king bed. The large flat screen TV was great for relaxing in the evening. And, as others have commented, there is wireless internet connectivity in the room, though the Inn doesn't advertise it. It was also nice to have a small refrigerator and microwave in the room.

Someone commented about the attention to detail in the stairwell. This may sound silly, but I loved the stairwell. Given a choice, we prefer to take the stairs, but most stairwells in hotels are dark, smelly, concrete passages that you really don't want to spend much time in. The stairwell at the Inn was carpeted, with wallpaper, pictures on the walls, and mirrors...just like a cruise ship.

We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant two mornings and the food and service were excellent. The grounds were lovely, and the playground looked like a wonderful place for children. It was also extremely convenient for sightseeing, just down the road from Strasburg and its' railroad, and close to the other towns we visited. We would highly recommend the Fulton Steamboat Inn.

1 Thank Libralady
New Jersey
Reviewed 4 May 2009

This was our 6th trip to this beautiful hotel. Each time we have taken different friends with us for a long weekend and each time the hotel and it's restaurant have exceeded our expectations. The rooms are large, beautiful and very very clean. The staff is extremely professional yet warm and friendly. We always come away feeling like we've visited our family! The hotel is appointed like an actual Steamboat from the lovely furniture, carpets and lighting. They offer a "childfree" floor for adults only which is quiet and peaceful. We highly recommend this lovely hotel and their wonderful restaurant, Huckleberry's. The food is delicious and nicely priced. An excellent value! It is very close to the American Music Theater which always has a wonderful show. The hotel is also extremely close to some wonderful outlet shopping. It just can't be beat!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skynstar05
Western NY
Reviewed 30 April 2009

Briefly, we have been coming to the Steamboat for many years, but this was our first visit to the property since the new management took over in 2007-8. We were pleasantly surprised.....most areas improved and nothing got worse. They have installed many new upgrades and improvements, but have nicely maintained their Victorian decor. The property is ideally located near most of the tourist attractions in the area. Its restaurant is worth visiting, and there is a large variety of other restaurants in the surrounding area. We find that Lancaster is VERY crowded during the summer season (especially the weekends) but the area is beautiful in the spring and fall....and the rates are lower! Sign up for their Captain's Club and they'll keep you up to date on discounts and other offers. One tip: If you are traveling with just a partner, the 3rd floor is "no children," so it is considerably quieter than the other floors.

1 Thank JimH341
New Jersey
Reviewed 28 April 2009

I come to Amish country several
times a year and always passed by the hotel almost missing it. This time we
decided to try it out and I am very glad I did. All the people were very
pleasant and helpful. I was especially impressed with the decor and the
attention to the stairway puts the hotel above the rest. It invites you to
use the stairs which I did my whole stay and got exercise as well. Hotels
are usually very plain and antiseptic looking if you know what I mean. I
always wondered why hotels don't decorate in themes. They don't have to buy
antiques or expensive items . As long as it looks like you did.

I also noticed people walking around pointing out what needed to be worked
on which gave me the impression that they really cared about the hotels
appearance. I also liked the little playground for my children. I especially
liked the idea that there are places for the adults to sit and relax while
still being able to watch the kids.

Well, I could go on and on but will save that for the next time. I really
enjoyed the stay, loved the decor and will stay there when we return.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family