“Surprise at the reviews”

Lancaster Family Resort
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
New York City, New York
“Surprise at the reviews”
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This was my first trip to lancaster pa and not being sure after reading so many reviews pick the budget host inn wrong move. when we arrived there where no guest at this hotel. We where told by a local not to stay there so myself, daughter, and 2 grandson went looking for a new hotel to stay at. We decided we would stay at a hotel that had alot of cars park outside how bad could it be. While looking we saw alot of cars park outside of the Ramanda (funny i was going to pick that hotel but didn't because of the reviews and that it was under construction) Funny how things work out i read the reviews on this hotel before i went and after i came back home. First let me say this someone said that Bibi was nasty, im surprise she was so nice to myself and family told us about where to go eat, shop and things to do while there. We saw our room before we check in. We where very worried about bedbugs and was assured there where none there. Even though the hotel is going thur a make-over I am so glad we decided to stay there. Our room was large, clean, plenty of towels, washclothes, we had a refrige, coffemaker, toiletree, icebucket, new papercups. Do to what we had and what we would have if the hotel was finished with the makeover we where just fine. I didn't go there to live in the hotel i was please that it was clean and bug free. The staff was very helpful and i have stayed in plenty of high price hotels so i do know the difference. The hotel had a indoor and outdoor pool, steamroom , meeting room where they serve breakfast. For breakfast they had plenty of cereal, oatmeal, muffins, bagles, danish, coffee, tea, milk, juices. and it was free. They also had a nice bar which serve food with plenty of wide screen tv to watch the game. Outside of the hotel they had plenty of places for u to sit and relax, even had a swing by the lake where u could see the ducks and fishes in the water. you could play shuffleboard and pool indoor if u like that. So all in all i read reviews all the time when i shop or travel and if with all they have now and with all the new stuff they will have by next summer i just hope they keep the price of the hotel low. Oh i forgot to mention they where working on the lobby while we where there its going to have a waterfall and they had almost finish the white marble floor before we left. I hope in some way my review will help someone who is undecided as to where to stay. I read the reviews on the holiday inn, marriott, wingate and the higher price hotels also and guess what someone had something bad to say about them as well as the lower price hotels too. I won't be unfair and rate the hotel because of the construction but i will gladly stay there again right now if i had the time off and the money to shop and eat again.

4 Thank candyg888

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Woodbine, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We were at this hotel last weekend due to hurricane evacuation. Hotel was overwhelmed by the reservations they got, most were not in their system and those that were in the system were not always correct. We worked with what we were given but upon returning home we found we had been charged for our room twice as well as a night we were not there. I called and so far have not gotten anyone to even tell me they did in fact owe me a refund. Called the corporate number and had them open a case. In addition to the reservation and payment problems this hotel is remodeling their lobby and the rest of the hotel is in major need to updates/repairs. Several rooms flooded during the rain storm from faulty windows. The lighting was bad to non-existant. Holes, pealing paint/wallpaper, dust, door to balcony was nailed shut, and wifi couldn't be picked up on the fith floor but if you carried your computer down to the lobby it could. This hotel has a great location but needs a lot of money put into it.

2 Thank leeleetof
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We are staying at this hotel to escape Hurricane Irene. I booked becasue it was a "Ramada" and I thought that was a reputible hotel name. Well, we get here and there's a Ramada banner over the old hotel sign. We got here early to check in and I figured our room wouldn't be ready, we were really early. Since they are in transition, if you book through a travel website or even the Ramada website, they get a fax of your reservation and then have to enter it manually??? When I came back to check in, they had fixed my reservation and my room was ready. However, there was a LONG line of people trying to check in and all had the same problem, only ONE girl and ONE computer and everyone's reservation was messed up. What a disaster. Plus, the entire hotel is filled with people evacuating from Cape May County. It was a really bad check in situation and I felt really bad for the girl at the desk, she was doing her best, but it was just way too much for one person to handle.
We get to our room. It's HUGE!!!!! But really run down. If I had of booked this hotel as a true vacation and not an evacuation, I would be really disappointed. Notice the picture of the hotel is just the Ramada sign and not a picture of the actual hotel??? They are under construction and the lobby looks like it's going to be beautiful, but they have a looooong way to go. I know that every hotel isn't going to be modern and five star and will show some wear and tear, but this place is a DUMP! However, the one redeeming quality is the bed. It was soooooooooooo comfortable!!!!! Which made my bad feelings for this hotel go away :-)
Make sure Ramada has completed the transition/renovation before booking. Also, it is in a GREAT location. Directly across the street from Dutch Wonderland, lots of shopping and retaurants close by.

1 Thank brigitte08
Pemberton, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Booked hotel for trip to Dutch Wonderland. Hotel is literally right across the street. We walked to the park entrance in about 5 minutes. Hotel has indoor and outdoor pool open late on the weekend. Both pools are huge, outdoor pool is very nice. Hotel in the middle of rennovations - you could tell this hotel is old but has a lot of potential. Rooms decent size and clean.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back face outdoor pool, some with balcony
2 Thank AllMySun
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Stayed at this hotel across from Dutch Wonderland. Front desk Bibi took my reservation on the phone 2 days before and gave us our Room # that we will be staying but upon arriving found out that our adjoining rooms were taken by someone else. They gave us another adjoining room on the bottom level. The sheets had yellow stains on it, found a strand of long curly hair on the pillow, found hair on the tub, ceiling paint was cracked and paint falling off in the bathroom. Water was hot and cold during the shower. Found a huge spider in the shower and after I told Bibi about this she said, it is common to find spiders and insects in the rooms due to the location. She made it feel like I was another guest complaining about a known problem in the hotel and I shouldn't expect anything more from this hotel. I told her of additional problems to my room and she said there is nothing that she can do about it and left it at that. I told another front desk Samantha and she was shocked of Bibi's reaction "its only a spider". She took my complaints down and promised to leave a note for her managers attention since she was leaving on maternity leave. Jeannie who I spoke with during arrival was so much more customer friendly and helpful when I first complained about the dirty rooms. It is obvious that Bibi needs to be reprimanded in some way b/c the way she handles customers is poor and will frighten future guests away. I hope future guests do not have to deal with this poor customer service and attitude from her. Overall, the pool was ok but the rooms and hallways are dirty. Faucets are old, rugs are dirty and have brown visible stains near the windows. Spiders hang outside your window and shows up in your bathroom. Sheets feel dirty but bed was comfortable. Room size is big and the lighting is poor. Paint is peeling and door lock bolt screws were half way protruding from the door (all 4 screws were half way off). They told me the hotel is under a ownership transition and that is one of the reasons of the poor housekeeping that doesnt clean the room cleanly and with more attention. Stay away from this hotel until a full renovation is done by the new owners (Ramada Inn).

3 Thank hyattreg