“Not bad at all- very clean”

Sunset Valley Motel
Sunset Valley Motel
Ranked #39 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I could not stomach spending much money this weekend so stayed in the cheapest closest place I could to my Lancaster destination- despite the reviews. So when you expect bad- there is no place to go but up! The room I was given, #24 was very clean and in very good condition. other than a little burn stain by the sink in this non smoking room, I noticed nothing that was dirty or needed replacing. The tub surround appeared to be brand new, as did the shower curtain. The sheets were not 400 count, but at least they covered the matteress to the end of the bed, unlike another higher rated hotel I stayed in recently. And not a spot on the carpet anywhere. No smells either. So I was quite pleasantly surprised.
I only stayed a night, so did not try the fridge, microwave or TV, or even try to boot my computer.

Room Tip: Maybe its not as good during high tourist time, as it was on an October weekend.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank CSSnowshoer
There are newer reviews for Sunset Valley Motel

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We have been staying at this hotel for over 10 years. Annually we travel as a group to Lancaster PA and had always liked the hotel, the owners and the location -- up until this year anyway. The cleanliness of the room is not what it used to be. And there is NO maid service. Each day we were brought clean towels and the bathroom and sink were wiped down, but I am not sure the rooms are ever vacuumed and the beds we made ourselves (after we found out they wouldn't be made). The linens on the bed are dated, the blankets have holes in them and the mattress protector/pad is the thinnest I have ever seen. In the past there had always been fresh coffee available in the office. Coffee was only available on Saturday. We were never offered an apology or any accommodation when we brought the issues to the attention of the management. The management advised that the maid was on vacation, and the coffee maker was broken. They seemed to have a lot of excuses. When we checked out, there wasn't anyone available in the office. We won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pamela W
Reviewed 11 June 2011

The room smelled the moment we opened the door but we figured we would give it a chance. When we got back to the room to go to bed, I pulled down the comforter and found hair all on the sheets, they had obviously never been washed from the previous customer. Also found toenail clippings in the bathroom. We called the office and the manager said he would be right over, but he sent someone else to check. They offered to switch our room. I went to check the next room and the air conditioner didn't work. I finally demanded to see the manager. He explained that they rarely use the room we were staying in and admitted that he wasn't sure if they were clean or not!!!! I was out of there! Got a refund and went down the street to the Comfort Inn. A littleore money but it came with free breakfast. Please listen to me and font take your family to this dirty dirty motel!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011
5  Thank Mer61977
Reviewed 31 May 2011

After reading the horrible reviews from most of the budget motels in the Lancaster area, I was afraid I'd find a dead hooker on the mattress in this place. For me, it was exactly what we paid for. It was neither lavish nor filthy. I felt the room was about $10 over priced from the Expedia price that we booked online but otherwise it was fine. The decor was bland and out of date but there was a mini fridge and microwave. The bathroom, linens and carpet where clean. The front desk person wasn't superb but wasn't rude either. It was good enough to crash for the evening and certainly cheaper than many of the surrounding overnight possibilities.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank blackbeerben
Reviewed 24 May 2011

This place is bad. Made reservations online. When I arrived at the motel to check in, they didn't have my reservation and said I needed to contact the place where I had made the reservation. I could not get a real person, so I was stuck with their walk in rate of $99. My online rate was $69. The room was VERY outdated, dead bugs in the tub and bathroom floor, no alarm clock, no remote control for the TV, no one in the office to answer any questions or resolve any issues, no coffee pot in the room and the office was locked in the morning, so no coffee there. The owners were rude and would not budge on the cost. We had a block of 3 rooms, if I wasn't with family I would have gone some where else.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank pmd85vette
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone! The rooms are dingy, dirty and half the stuff in them do not work! There was trash all over the grass and in the bushes, trash in front of doors like they haven't been cleaned. The girl at the desk was rude and of no help with directions, not to mention something wrong with the boy they have working there. He could barely stay awake to check me in. The wallpaper was falling off the wall, the alarm clock didn't work, and the microwave was filthy. I didn't even stay the night due to bed bugs I saw crawling on the pillow. I would never recommend this place to anyone! For the money, you can stay somewhere a whole lot nicer!!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends