“Not to be Missed”
Review of Cork Factory Hotel

Cork Factory Hotel
Ranked #16 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We have been visiting the Lancaster (Amish) area for many years. Recently, we found the "City of Lancaster". With that we found the Cork Factory Hotel. From the minute we entered this beautiful renovated Cork Factory we knew we were staying some place special. We were warmly greeted and told of the complimentary continental breakfast and the other amenities of the hotel. Once in our room we were thrilled we had chosen this hotel for a quick get away. A beautifully decorated room with brick walls, high ceilings, king bed and a beautiful bathroom. On our second stay we stayed in one of their suites. Wow, what a treat!. One full room with a huge desk, table and chairs for four, a comfortable sofa and an entertainment armoire. a second room was our king size bedroom with a second tv, and then there was that beautiful bathroom. Both times the room was quiet, clean, and spacious. Then there was the complimentary continental breakfast. Coffee, juice, cereals, fresh fruit, bagels and an assortment of homemade buns, cakes, and pastries. What more could you ask for? both visits we tried drinks at the bar when we returned to the hotel. Another beautiful room...brick walls surround the bar area. We felt right at home when greeted by Jasmine, a very outspoken, friendly bartender....who made a great drink and will also serve you a light meal at the bar or you can have a full dinner in the dining room. There is so much to see and do in the Amish Country, but once you try downtown Lancaster, with the shops, restaurants, and arts you will realize there is so much more to Lancaster. Staying at the Cork Factory was a wonderful experience I will recommend to friends. Not to be missed is First Friday in Lancaster. This is a great value for mid week for us seniors looking for something neat to do....

Room Tip: If you are not interested in a suite, request one of the rooms with the brick walls and high ceiling...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank weege49

Reviewed 25 April 2012

THis was our first time with the kids to come here because our other hotel was already booked. However what a pleasant surprise. Easy parking and a nice place to stay with our two young children. In fact I got to slip out to the bar with my friend as our hubbys watch the kids and we both were made some YUMMY cocktails by a wonderful bartender! The next day was raining so we popped into the Science Factory Museum next door and my hubby and kids had a blast!! Literally blasted some parachute game guy into the air. This really is a gem of a place! Thanks so much!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Rundis
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This resort is a renovated factory. At first glance, its location in an office/industrial park seems a little downscale, but it's very convenient and there's a lot to do near the hotel. The building has tremendous character and the rooms are comfortable, spacious, well-furnished and fairly quiet.

We were there for a wedding, and there is a lot of that -- it is an OUTSTANDING wedding venue. This only adds to the romance and charm.

The customer service from everyone displayed not merely high-level professionalism but real personal interest in the guests' comfort and well-being. And the food at the hotel was so good, we didn't really think about eating anywhere else, except for one function scheduled offsite at the nearby Lancaster Brewing Co.

Overall, this was a terrific experience and I would highly recommend staying here if you're in Lancaster. The city is fairly easy to navigate and you're only a mile from Route 30, which will take you anywhere you need to go in about 10 minutes. The Harrisburg Airport is only a half hour away and the Amtrak serves the nearby downtown Lancaster station -- and can get you to New York for about $50.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank tsunamidad
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I recently attended a conference in Lancaster. I was going to book the Marriott Convention Center, but to my dismay, it was, of course, full. That was the best thing that could've happened. Checking out some reviews on this site, I decided to take a chance and book the Cork factory.  Please use this review to help you decide if the Cork Factory is right for you.

Customer Service: the day that I was traveling, I sent an email to cork factory reservations and requested a room on the 4th floor. I have read that the 4th floor is the quietest floor. They were not able to grant this request, but they upgraded me to a jacuzzi suite! I certainly lucked out. I booked through hotels.com, so I wasn't charged extra for this as it was already paid for.  I felt as if this was outstanding customer service. I didn't really need any special requests or need of any additional service while I was staying, so I can't comment on that.

Decor: this is the Cork Factory's strength. Hands down. This is the most unique hotel I have ever been to. From the moment you drive up and see the brick exterior and smokestack, you know this is a different experience. Then, you set foot in the lobby and notice the rustic tiled floor with brick walls and plenty of odd but appropriate decorations. It's dark, but classy, stylish dark. The stairwells have all brick walls as well, with hardwood steps. Completely clean. I could've lived in the stairwell; you actually enjoy being there.

The hallway ceilings are high and wooden, and all air conditioning vents and pipes are black and visible: but it's contemporary and adds additional charm. If it were a typical rusty lead pipe, I wouldn't want it to be there, but it totally adds to the rustic charm of the place.  This was also the same in my room.

The walls in the room that happened to be exterior walls of the hotel were completely brick. Not fake backsplash tiled brick, real thick bricks and mortar. Again, rustic and charming. I love brick and was thrilled that the walls were real brick. The bed was very comfortable.

The bathroom was stunning. Perhaps it was because I had a suite, but it was the best part of the room. Gorgeous grey and multicolor tile lined the floor and walls around the shower and jacuzzi. Brick exterior walls, and an Asian-inspired (I think) copper mirror frame. It was just stunning.  It was tough leaving this bathroom behind.

The restaurant had the same sort of a rustic feel to it, with grey stone walls. I was only here once for a continental breakfast, but it was relaxing, cozy, charming.

Breakfast: speaking of breakfast...they offer a free continental breakfast. I tried it on my last day. It is your typical fare: fruit, pastries, donut holes, bagels, juice, etc. The bagels were fresh, large and very tasty.  The donut holes were obviously frozen or refrigerated, as they were a little cold and not fresh. I did enjoy the bagel very much, but the rest was standard continental fare. I recommend a toasted bagel and some fruit.

I read some comments about hearing through the walls. It's true that the walls are thin and I could hear people walking above me a bit, and louder noises through the walls. It was not a gamechanger, and certainly didn't detract from my stay. If I had a very noisy neighbor, then I might be upset. But, the hotel was very quiet most of the time.

Location: I walked to the convention center in about 15 minutes or so. I would walk southwest until I hit queen street, then took that south to the convention center. If you are driving downtown, you'll be there in a few minutes. The hotel has a great pub (Quib's) across the street. Great beer and fish & chips.

I am so glad that I was unable to book the convention center hotel. The Cork Factory is simply charming (have I said that before?). I really enjoyed the brick and tile and ceilings. It's just so unique. It doesn't have any normal hotel feel at all. I can't imagine ever staying anywhere else in Lancaster. I would very much recommend the Cork Factory.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Italianblends
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed here with a friend last weekend on a Girl's Weekend to an Amish Mud Sale. Wonderful hotel, I loved how they kept so much of the old cork factory, very unique and very charming. The rooms were huge and very comfortable, even had a small fridge. The bathrooms I would like to recreate in my own home! Very quiet, and a great location.
At breakfast in the morning we met Sandy, who was the waitress - she was one of the most helpful and nicest people I've ever met. She explained to us how the mud sale would work, how to get there, what else to see and do in the area, and even drew us a little map so we could maximize our short time in the area. We spent the day doing everything she recommended and had a wonderful time. Thanks Sandy!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank LivinL1fe
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Cork Factory Hotel is a member of Historic Hotels of America (http://www.historichotels.org). As the name suggested, it is a converted cork Factory. It is sure quite different from a typical hotel in both the ambiance and location.

It is not at downtown, but a short drive to the nearby Amish town and Lancaster. It's about 10-min drive to Franklin & Marshall University. There are plenty of parking spaces on site.

There is ample space for room and bathroom, high ceiling. The shower water pressure can be a bit stronger. I like the hole-in-the-middle soap. The size is about the normal soap (versus typical tiny hotel soap), yet with the hole in the middle, it is easy to handle and doesn't waste as much. It is small item like this that you can sense the attention from the property management.

The TV is bit small (~ 23") and a bit high in the cabin to view from bed. The curtain does not block the light completely, but it is not bad. I wish it has better sound insulation which I am very sensitive with. We get free internet access in our room. I am not sure whether it is because our room is not far from the lobby or there is free internet for the entire property.

The continental breakfast is good. I wish there is a hot pot of water there, so I don't need to bother the waitress. However, she is very friendly to bring 2 large cups of hot waters upon request.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Family_from_NJ
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Hotel had been booked through a group contract securing rooms and rates one year prior to reservation. Two weeks after reservations were 'secured' advised there was NO ROOM AT THE INN. Hotel informed us that they had secured alternate arrangement at the Hampton Inn. Replied "No Thank-you" we will go elsewhere. Unbeknownst to me, Cork felt it was in their rights to hand-over to alternate hotel not just our name but the credit card details pertaining to our reservation. When we didn't show we received charges for the three nights stay that we didn't show up for. Hampton Inn helped us out but would strongly discourage folks from dealing with the Cork which obviously is a schlocky organization that has ZERO ethics.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family