“New Hotel Needs Tweeking”
Review of Cork Factory Hotel

Cork Factory Hotel
Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We were very interested in staying at this hotel. We love the fact that it's in a gorgeously refurbished turn of the centry factory complex. They have respectufly and lovingly restored and saved where possible. The public areas of the hotel are carefully decorated with regionally historic details: farming implements, antique lamps, prints of regional plants and flowers. The rooms are also delightfully simple - the exposed brick wall the most important decorative detail in the room. No horrible beadspreads or tacky "artwork" on the walls. Beautiful color combinations in the bathrooms/carpeting/doors. All in all, visually very satisfying. However, there are details that need work.

We arrived during a weekend in July. Really hot. So the airconditioning was essential. The first night, the airconditioner made a turn-on noise that sounded like the start of an alarm clock so it woke us each time it came on. We were changed to another room the second day. Both airconditioners were loud although the second one didn't whistle before it started.

Also, I suggest that they have summer and winter duvets. Apparently they have only winter duvets which meant that given the temperature, you either cranked the air down to 60 if you kept the duvet (it had a sheet on top and another underneath) or you kept the room rather warm and slept with only a sheet. Everything else OFF the bed!

And as another person has mentioned, the noise insulation leaves a lot to be desired. We could hear the phone in the reception desk (constant until quite late) and any group larger than four, talking, laughing and generally being sociable. And yes, you can hear the water flowing down from upstairs toilets. And if you had a person in the room next to you talking loudly on the phone...

Unfortunately, this last problem should have been taken care of during the building process. Which is too bad. Maybe they could add some of the cork in the lobby to the walls?

I found the staff to be pleasant overall. I think they need seasoning more than anything. The weekends must be especially stressful. Overall however, I think it's a good value for the price, especially if you throw in the complimentary breakfast which was copious and varied right up until 10am - at least on the weekend we stayed. And they were jammed.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ciscogirl20
There are newer reviews for Cork Factory Hotel

Reviewed 12 July 2010

Beautiful rennovation, spacious and distinctitive rooms. Location near downtown area. Breakfast included includes fresh fruit and baked goods made on site.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank BloomfieldHills
Reviewed 8 July 2010

My husband and I stayed here with our two children, ages 6months and 7 years, for one night on our drive east to visit family. The drive would have been too long for our daughter so we decided to get a hotel. After finding the Cork Factory Hotel we decided to stay there because it looked interesting. Once we arrived we were not dissappointed. The lobby was decorated like a page from Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware. Our room was ready for us with the pack-n-play for our daughter. The room was spacious and the bathroom was spotless and stylish. The beds were comfortable with the exception of the pillows. Luckily I brought my own as well as the kids but my husband did have a bit of a time finding a comfortable position but I guess that's being picky. And the sheets were not very soft but again not so much that I would say they were uncomfortable. In the morning we had a quick bite of fruit and coffee and were on our way. I would stay there again and we are thinking of going to Lancaster in the Fall. However this time we'll all bring our own pillows. (However if you like really thick pillows then no worries!) One more note: Our GPS took us through some of the nearby neighborhoods rather than a main road and I thought some of it was a bit sketchy. Do yourself a favor and use the main roads.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank twoteachers2008
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We just returned from a 3 night trip to Lancaster and stayed at the Cork Hotel based on the reviews here. I was delighted with my room on the fourth floor. It was very quiet and roomy and I loved the exposed brick, large windows, exposed piping, high ceilings, huge beams running across the ceiling...the bathroom had a large shower and it was smartly decorated with large stone tiles. My only disappointment was with the staff. Having made my living providing excellent customer service, I was quite surprised when I stepped off the elevator my first morning, nearly bumped into two staff who both looked at us yet did not greet us with a friendly "Good morning!" or "have a nice day" or anything at all! We enjoyed our waiter very much on two of our evenings. The bar and dining room are comfortable and there is a courtyard that provides outdoor seating if the weather conditions are favorable. (It was 100 degrees on July 4th!) Overall, I recommend this hotel and will definately book here in the future.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CTShutterbug
Reviewed 28 June 2010

I have stayed at this hotel for one night on a Friday. It looks nice, clean and unique. But that's about all it has going for it. First of all, we were booked to a room on a second floor, right next to their restaurant. We literally could hear the conversations the guests at the restaurant were having at 9PM. Its not that terrible after all, as they quieted down by 10PM. In addition, there is no room service for food. If you want a dinner in your room, you have to go down to the restaurant yourself, place your order, and come back to pick it up.

The worst of the story happens in the morning. The sound isolation is so poor, that we could hear guests in the room above us walking at 7am, as the floors squeak. Same goes for them flushing the toilet. We could also hear the tv working in the neighboring room on our floor. So needless to say, we didn't get a good night's sleep.
On to the "free breakfast". The breakfast is served until 10AM. We got down there at 9:20. And what's for breakfast? The selection was: a bagel, with no butter anywhere to be found, and cereal. That's all! Everything else was already eaten before we came, and the words of a server were "you should have come earlier, we had more food then". Nobody bothered to replenish the food. In addition, the tables weren't cleaned, so we had to move everything ourselves to get a table to sit.
Overall, I feel that the price I paid did not reflect the quality of service and accommodations provided. Choose a different place for your stay in Lancaster.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank shibikot
Reviewed 26 June 2010

We stayed at the Cork Factory Hotel for 3 nights and loved it. It is a new hotel made in a renovated cork factory. The rooms are large and have exposed brick walls and large wood beams. The onsight bar and restaurant and very nice. It is located in a place where you can access easily all the great attractions of Lancaster County. I would recommend this hotel to everyone

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cpbass
Reviewed 2 June 2010

The building and complex is so beautiful. The common areas and restaurant are lovely. The continental breakfast was perfect. The staff was friendly. The room was HUGE but cozy The mini fridge a great extra. Lots of windows that opened wide. The price was great.
The only negative were the sheets. We love good hotel sheets and there were like 60/40. It didnt fit in with the quality of the hotel. We have already recommended the hotel to friends. Location is great and peaceful (have to drive to anything though). Would be a 5 if not for the sheets :-)

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple