“Loved this place!!! Great for families”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Long Island, New York
“Loved this place!!! Great for families”
Reviewed 10 August 2011

My wife and our 3 young childen stayed here from 7/27- 7/31. We had an amazing time. The hotel is clean and well kept The staff is very friendly and helpful. Having 3 small children, we needed some extra towels and mattresses. The housekeeping manager, Holli, came to us the first day and said, "What can I get you to make things easier for you" What a great welcome.
Another time our 4 year old was running at the pool and scraped his knee. Two lifeguards Olivia and Taylor came over right away and were very kind and gentle with him. Staff in general were great
The rooms were large and clean and well kept. Our particular housekeeper did an o.k. job with the room, but could have been more attentive in cleaning up.
The resort itself is in a beautiful part of Lancaster, The grounds are beautiful and very well kept. The indoor pools are amazing, The children's pool is clean and our little guys loved every second. They definitely cater to families. The Saturday night we were there they had a bonfire and all the kids at the hotel were able to roast marshmallows and hotdogs.
We'll definitley be back there next year!

2 Thank DGrainson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I cannot possibly give this Hotel the rating I want to since it exceeded every expectation. The suite was roomy and comfortable. The 24 Hundred restaurant staff added to the highlights. We also enjoyed breakfast at Willow Valley. The BEST part about the Hotel, and what we will look back on with very fond memories, was the care we were shown by the Hotel personnel. One in particular (Anna) treated us with great curtesy and consideration. I felt like we were dealing with a close relative. We have family in the Lancaster area and this is now our official 'home-away-from-home'. Thank you, Double Tree...and thank you, Anna. :-)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bill B
Washington, DC
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We were thrilled with our stay. My husband and I had our three year old with us. We stopped at Hershey on our way. The hotel was an easy 40 minutes from the park. Our main purpose was for Dutch Wonderland which was only 10 minutes away. From the moment we walked in the front door, we were impressed with how friendly everyone was and with the charm of the hotel. We were pleased that it was updated and clean yet had the "old school" feel of a family resort...activities for children, indoor pool/play area, duck pond, playground area... We tried the family restaurant buffet for breakfast and dinner during our three day stay. We ate out for our other meals as the food wasn't particularly good and mostly fried/heavy. If you were going to do any meal here, I would suggest breakfast because they do make fresh eggs for you. Overall, we were pleased with the value and plan to return again!

Room Tip: Eat at the cafe in the hotel and not the buffet or eat off grounds
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MarylandTerps
Albany, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2011

At the last minute we decided to leave 1 day early for our preplanned 6 day road trip which encompassed a family wedding at Bedford Springs and a stop in Lancaster on the way there and another stop in Lancaster on the way home. I hit one of the online bidding sites to book lodging and lo and behold was awarded with a one night stay at Willow Valley Resorts. On our annual trips to Lancaster, I never stayed there before. I was thrilled with our deal. We spend all of our time in the Intercourse/Bird in Hand area and I thought this location would be inconvenient. However, it was less than a 10 minute ride to that area and well worth it. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly and given delicious cookies. We were not treated any differently by the front desk staff as sometimes can happen when booking through a bidding website. Our room was wonderful. We were booked into a room one level down from right off the main lobby. The bedding was sumptous, the full size sofa was great to relax on, the flat screen TV was awesome. We got some outdoor pool time in and the pool was fabulous. The bathroom was spacious and clean and I loved the granite tops everywhere and the separate fridge/coffee area. I also LOVED the Wolfgang Puck pod coffee maker in the room! I want to thank you for participating with the online bidding websites because I have now discovered you, and I intend to only stay here on our future Lancaster visits!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This is the second time I have been to what is collectively referred to as the Willow Valley Resort. It is a beautiful area and centrally located to not only Pennsylvania Dutch country and Hershey, but also Baltimore and Philadelphia.

When I last visited, ten years ago, I stayed next door at the other hotel, but visited this one and found it to be quite nice. We returned for a little family reunion and it was the perfect place for our group. Although we had snafus with two of the rooms, they were remedied quickly. Overall, we found the rooms to be quite spacious, well appointed and very clean. The indoor "water park" area was a great place for our three-year-old nephew to spend every minute that we were at the resort! We were impressed by the calendar of activities each day, although we were unable to take advantage of them because we were trying to cram so many other things into a four-day weekend. We did have time to take a tour of the Amish country, which I believe was coordinated by the hotel, and it was fantastic. Other members of the group were also able to take a wagon ride offered one evening. Although there is a small charge for the ride, it is apparently very enjoyable, particularly for children.

We did not partake of the meal plan that is available, but did eat at the smorgasboard frequently throughout our stay. The food, while not five-star, is very good and the price was extremely reasonable (even without the meal plan). We also ate at the Cafe 2400 and found the food to be eclectic, but very good. The prices in the lounge were also surprisingly reasonable considering it was within the hotel.

Overall, we had a wonderful stay and would recommend this resort to both families and couples who might be traveling to the Lancaster/Hershey area.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room one one of the
2 Thank MVThomas
Haverstraw, New York
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The hotel was very nice and the employees were very friendly and helpful. I was not a fan of the food served in Cafe 24 Hundred however.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dayzy77
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My family and I stayed 3 nights at the Doubltree Resort in Lancaster. The hotel was very attractive inside, and the rooms looked like they had recently been updated. Everything was clean and the staff was friendly. They also have a golf course on site (I think it's 9 holes), but I didn't get a chance to play. It looked like it was in good shape, though.

The hotel is located a few minutes away from downtown Lancaster, and it's also just a few minutes away from several of the local attractions like the Strasburg Train Museum, several small towns, Amish country, etc. It was a bit confusing trying to get on the freeway westbound to Hershey, but we eventually got there. We thought the hotel was in a great location, and worth the few minutes' drive. The surrounding countryside is beautiful, by the way.

There are two pools on the property - one large "normal" pool, and a mini-water park with some slides and stuff in the area next to it.

We ate breakfast each morning in the hotel restaurant. The staff there were very friendly. Not only was there standard breakfast food on the buffet, there were cooked to order eggs as well. Very similar to an Embassy Suites Breakfast. My only complaint - and it wasn't the hotel's fault - was the number of screaming, unruly kids in the restaurant each morning. I was amazed that the parents made no effort to stop their kids from screaming at the top of their lungs, banging dishes and silverware on the table, etc., but like I said, it wasn't the hotel's fault.

I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it for others. Maybe bring some ear plugs to breakfast:)

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the golf course.
1 Thank golferperry