“Delightfully Wonderful Trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
Schellsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
“Delightfully Wonderful Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Just spent one night and could not have asked for a more clean and hospitable hotel and staff!! The entire staff was amazing, each and every person, showed such genuine consideration. I felt completely at ease and relaxed, something I have not achieved for a while! Jen, at the Front Desk, had a smile that could light up a room and made us all feel so welcome! Thank you all for a fabulous night! Would definitely come again, actually are planning to come and stay very soon! They also have a children's swimming area, mini water park!! Family oriented, coffee pot and blow drier, clean sheets and clean bathroom all make it a trip worth making again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kamala S
Kristin O, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
What a wonderfully, glowing review! Thank you! We look forward to serving you again soon, Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, (717) 464-7503

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Ocean City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my family for 2 nights and everything was perfect. The only negative thing I can say is that the carpet in the room needed to be cleaned. All the staff that we came in contact with were extremely nice, heplful, and polite. we would definitely stay here again on our next trip to the Lancaster, Pa area.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Oceancityed
Glad to read you had a "PERFECT STAY"! Please let me know what room you stayed in so I can make sure our housekeeping team followed up on cleaning the carpet. Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, (717) 464-7503
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

My friends and I stayed there when visiting Lancaster for a major quilt show. It is located south of the downtown area but was an easy drive. The rooms were large and not only had a desk and chair but also a leather easy chair and ottoman and another straight chair. Coffee pot and mini-fridge were added conveniences. The staff were very friendly and gracious. We had dinner one evening at their restaurant, Cafe 2400, and it was average. Prices were reasonable for the buffet ($15.95) and it included dessert and a beverage. It was convenient. We checked out the spacious pool area but did not try it. Parking was plentiful. I was not happy that they charged for internet access in your room. I had 4G but free wifi would have been nicer. I think it was free in the lobby. We found a great diner not far from the hotel where we had breakfast on our way to the quilt show. Try the Willow Street Diner. Caters to the locals and the staff were great. Coffee was a bit weak. But I digress. I would stay there again when I am in Lancaster.

Room Tip: Our room (odd number) faced the atrium area not the outside but that did not bother us.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LGAretired
Thank you for staying with us during the recent Quilters Convention in Lancaster. I'm glad you had a nice time and we look forward to serving you again. And yes, our wifi is complimentary in all public areas including the lobby, restaurant, Palm Court and pools! Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, (717) 464-7503
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013 via mobile

Here for college visit with our daughter. Location to Millersville University was only 11 minutes away. Very convenient. Clean and organized room with nice perks. Beds very comfortable. Desk, comfy chair, clock radio, Coffee maker, fridge and toiletries were a nice touch.
Only critical observation was that there was no way to dim a light or have a night light on at night as the bathroom was a little awkwardly laid out to find in the dark. (If you left the bathroom light on, the fan was too loud )
Pool area was clean and looked wonderful especially the play area for kids.
Didn't try the restaurant but there are plenty of them and stores nearby.
If my daughter chooses this college we will be back when we move her in or visit.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Jlb804976
Kristin O, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Millersville is a wonderful University and we would love to serve you in the future if you daughter chooses to attend. If that is the case, let our front desk know you would like a night light. I completely understand the difficult task of finding the bathroom in the dark! If there is anything else I can assist you with, please let me know: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

Went for a relaxing birthday getaway. The setting was nice and quiet. I arrived early and my room was ready. Loved the whirlpool tub! As a Hilton Honors member, I did not appreciate the internet access fee. The food was bland and the room service menu very skimpy. Two maids decided to hold a mini convention ourtside my door one afternoon, not very professional. Otherwise a good stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 1happyshopper66
Thank you for taking time to post about your recent stay. Our wireless if free to everyone in our public areas including the entire lobby and restaurant. It is also free to Gold and Diamond HHonors members. If you are are gold or diamond member, please let me know so I can adjust your charges as it should have been free to you. If there is anything else I can do to assist you, please let me know: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

This hotel is very beautiful and clean. Front desk staff very friendly. Check in and out fast and convenient. Room was wonderful (king with whirlpool) I went with my husband for a getaway. Did not visit pool area so I can't speak about that.

The only downfall about this place is the 24hundred cafe. The food was not good. In a Hilton hotel and for the price I expected excellent food. You could tell vegetables had been sitting around, mashed potatoes too. Steak was just ok...hamburger too. Staff was very friendly and attentive but doesn't make up for bad food. We told waitress our concerns but charge was not removed from bill. We even gave it a second chance with room service later. Thought something simple would be good. Still poor quality.

Overall you should stay here...beautiful hotel!! Just don't eat here.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank twink8203
Thank you for staying with us recently. I'm happy to read you really enjoyed your stay with us with the exception of our restaurant. I've forwarded your comments to both our Restaurant Manager and our Executive Chef and I would like to resolve your situation. When time permits, please contact me: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com
Sumter, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

I stayed here when it was the Willow Valley resort about two years ago, so I looked forward to visiting under the DoubleTree. My husband and I visited during Valentine's Day weekend, where we booked a 1 king bed suite, which was very clean, orderly, and pretty. The staff were all helpful, they even have a line where you can get helpful information for restaurants in the area, things to do, etc. The hotel itself is very nice. However, I went to the attached Cafe 24Hundred for dinner, and it was not good at all. Waitress was nice, but very slow, and the food was overpriced for bad food. I think the breakfast would have been better, but we left early our last day. I thought the $5/24hr charge was unnecessary, but I guess it's company policy if you're not a member. Received and in-room masssage, and it was amazing! Very friendly, and the front desk notified me when they arrived.

What I DID NOT appreciate was being charged over $800 PAST the cost of my room due to me booking through a third-party travel company. Not only was I overcharged for my room, but I ended up paying for my room a total of three times. While two of the charges did get dropped, I really would have appreciated a heads up that both my credit and debit cards were going to get charged in excess of $800. It took two days, two hours of phone calls, and calling my travel company to resolve the issue. The staff at the DoubleTree hotel were not helpful at all.

The room was nice, and the massage was great. But the charges on my account, and lack of customer care, made me leave the hotel on a sour note. It has been 7 days, and my issues are still not resolved. I do not think i'll be staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kiara_Colon9
Kristin O, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
I'm truly sorry you ran into major problems with your credit card during your recent stay. When guests book through third parties like Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline and Hotels.com; our hotel has little recourse if something goes wrong. You pay the booking engine, and they handle your entire reservation. When you encounter errors with your credit card, we are not able to fix the situation, because we did not make the error, we don't even have your payment information. Unfortunately, all issues need to be handled directly through the booking engine you originally used. That being said, our customer service team needs to work as hard as possible to help you get the issue resolved. We may not be able to fix the issue, but our team can certainly assist or offer advice. It's a problem that could have happened at any hotel, and I would be happy to speak with you regarding this. Please reach out to me when you have a chance. I would love to invite you back and make sure your next experience is more positive: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com