“Will visit again! ”

DJ's Taste of the 50's
Ranked #29 of 594 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We tried this weekend for the first time and really enjoyed. The decor is very cute. My daughters meals came in a cute 50's Chevy meal box. Me and my husband both had sandwiches and they were very good. Service was good and priced right. We will visit again.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Although I am local to this restaurant, I don't discount it as just another tourist attraction. The place is genuinely 1950's and fun to visit. The food is really good and the wait staff, dressed in poodle skirts and cat's eye glasses are very attentive to the customers. Burgers are great! They even have a room to hold parties. Prices are competitive with other eateries around the area.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Did a search of restaurants prior to our trip to Lancaster and came across DJ's and it looked like a cool place so we wanted to check it out. Seated our family right away, with no wait. Food was served quickly, and accurately. Burger was done to perfection! Highly recommend if you enjoy a good burger like myself!

Reviewed 22 March 2014

This is my first trip to this 5-year old establishment, even though it is just outside my neighborhood. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision after finding so many other restaurants full with people waiting.

The ambiance inside immediately takes you back to the era of sock hops and jukeboxes. It is charming and true to character of that era, with lots of chrome and neon lighting and old fashioned Coke memorabilia.

The menu was simple but wide in variety. It included some entrees like meatloaf and ham loaf, but also included some wrap sandwiches. There were, of course, burgers and hot dogs.

Service was prompt and friendly. We asked our server for a few minutes to look over the menu and she gave us just the right amount of time without us lingering and waiting to place our order.

We shared an appetizer of loaded fries with their dilly sauce on the side. The fries were hot, adequately topped with melted cheese (not that icky cheese sauce!) and had pieces of bacon that were sizeable compared to many places who crunch it so much it looks like bacon bits. And the dilly sauce was AMAZING! I let my dining companion have most of the cheese and bacon; I was quite happy with the plain fries dipped in this wonderful sauce!

Main entrees were the ham loaf (it's advertised as ham loaf on the menu but was actually ham balls) which were made by hand and served with a nice topping of warm pineapple chunks. The beef vegetable soup was hot, had a nice rich broth, and included a nice amount of chunks of beef. The foot-long hot dog with sauerkraut was the other entrée, and it was pure beef, done on an open grill, with a nicely grilled bun. The sauerkraut had a nice flavor to it - it was obviously not opened from a can or pouch and just heated through, but had been cooking for a while.

In terms of the food, this place definitely deserves an excellent review. Two things kept me from giving it that rating. The property is very small, and tables are set very close together. Several times during the course of my meal, I was bumped by other patrons moving by our dining table. We had one small issue with our server forgetting an item that was ordered, but she was genuinely apologetic and made sure that item was promptly prepared and served.

This is definitely a restaurant that will be added to the "go to" list when wanting to eat out. I also asked if the dilly sauce was available for sale, and was told it was. I know that as soon as I finish the store-bought bottles of salad dressing in my cupboard, I will return to purchase some by the pint and it will become a favorite salad dressing and dipping sauce (oh, it would be so good with hard pretzels!).

We came away full and happy!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I remember going to DJ's when it was just starting up; the food was good then but it's even better now! This place is full of good food, good service and quite a bit of 50's flair. Go and check it out, you won't be dissapointed.