“Just right”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Since moving to Central PA from Philly a few years ago, I have to admit the thing I miss the most is good, cheap ethnic foods. I'd been craving some good Greek takeout, and after finding this place online, decided to risk ignoring all of the sub-par reviews and give it a chance. I'm so glad I did! This place is great for some quick, yummy Greek food. They have all the basics - spanakopita, moussaka, patitslo, as well as a few different types of gyros and some fancier entrees as well. We had the flaming saganaki appetizer, which was delicious, and then I had the (huge) meze platter and my husband had a regular gyro. The meze platter was mostly great - the spanikopta, tzitzaki, lamb, and stuffed grape leaves were all fantastic, the salad and chicken were pretty generic. My husband said his gyro was pretty standard, but the fries were above average. Next time, I want dessert, too :)

Reviewed 4 July 2013

This place is pathetic, and the owners are a sad bunch. I feel bad for anybody that has to eat there, not because of the food, but because of the owners. The food isn't too bad, but everything else is. Be smart and literally go ANYWHERE but here. They are rude, the place is dirty, service is slow, and the owners are actually mean.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

Went in an hour before closing time and the place was pretty empty, but there were a few guys sitting at the counter shooting the bull with the workers. The food was very good, pretty quick, and had I come in the day, seemed like it would have had a very nice hang-out atmosphere.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Went to Spyro's Gyros this evening with my wife and daughter. Overall, a decent experience, provided you are into casual (very casual) dining.

First, the food. Mydaughter had a vegertarian platter, which she said was excellent. My wife enjoyed her pastichio. I eade their meze assortment, and enjoyed it a lot. The portions were plentiful (which allowed us to share samples with each other) amd the prices, very reasonable.

For decor, this place gets a zero. Goose egg. Nada! Overall, very tired looking, with no apparent attempt to overcome that run-down feeling. Certainly not the place for a romantic dinner! Even the menus look tired. Kinda reonds me of some of the lower-end places I visited as a college student many years ago, but Spyro's Gyros is saved by the food.

In summary, an okay place for a tasty, moderately priced dinner with folks who aren't looking for anyting remotely fancy. They say that you can't eat the decor, but if this place showed even a modest interest in lookiing decent, I'd eat there more frequently, and I would give it another star..

Reviewed 4 September 2012

My husband and I moved to Lancaster County from Philadelphia 8 years ago. We love Greek food. South Street Slouvaki, South Street in Philadelphia is our favorite restaurant. We were hoping to find that at Spyro Gyro. We visited Spyro Gyro Saturday, September 1st a little after midnight. The food wasn't that great. They cut the lettuce up like confetti to stretch it. The Greek salad wasn't very Greek (lack of ingredients). The Gyro sandwich, the meat was dry and the sauce was too thick, no real taste. The sandwich was supposed to come with chips, told the chip guy didn’t come today. No chips or substitutions offered in its place. My husband had the salad, it looked blah. He also chipped his tooth on the fork. The kicker was that they charged an extra $1.00 for each item ordered. When we questioned the check, the server said, "Jackie charges an additional $1.00 for items after midnight.” OK, never heard of that? Where is that posted? On the door, the menu, the wall? Nowhere is this posted, we felt that this was very shady and wrong. The server apologized, we paid the INFLATED price and left. luckily I had good company or the experience would have really sucked! I feel bad because my husband didn't want to go in the first place, I talked him into it. He thinks the place looks unsanitary, dirty. We do not plan to return.

1  Thank Mack B