“Great Greek Food!”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a real treat for our family. We live 40 miles away, but the food is delicious, so at least once every couple of months, we make the long drive to go for dinner at Spyro Gyro. We typically get the gyros sandwiches, the spanokopita (spinach pie), the combo platter, and usually the saganaki (flaming cheese appetizer). Everything has always been delicious. (I do push aside the red beets that are served on the salad in the combo platter, but I enjoy everything else). And the wait staff there is very attentive & friendly. It's one of our favorite places to go, but unfortunately, it's a bit of a drive. It is a BYOB, so we enjoy a nice glass of red greek wine while we enjoy the good food. Be forewarned - when you walk in, the place does not look like much, and seating is limited (especially for a family of 4), but the food is really good, and the place kind of grows on you over time.

1  Thank John S

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Since moving to Central PA from Philly a few years ago, I have to admit the thing I miss the most is good, cheap ethnic foods. I'd been craving some good Greek takeout, and after finding this place online, decided to risk ignoring all of the sub-par reviews and give it a chance. I'm so glad I did! This place is great for some quick, yummy Greek food. They have all the basics - spanakopita, moussaka, patitslo, as well as a few different types of gyros and some fancier entrees as well. We had the flaming saganaki appetizer, which was delicious, and then I had the (huge) meze platter and my husband had a regular gyro. The meze platter was mostly great - the spanikopta, tzitzaki, lamb, and stuffed grape leaves were all fantastic, the salad and chicken were pretty generic. My husband said his gyro was pretty standard, but the fries were above average. Next time, I want dessert, too :)

Reviewed 4 July 2013

This place is pathetic, and the owners are a sad bunch. I feel bad for anybody that has to eat there, not because of the food, but because of the owners. The food isn't too bad, but everything else is. Be smart and literally go ANYWHERE but here. They are rude, the place is dirty, service is slow, and the owners are actually mean.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

Went in an hour before closing time and the place was pretty empty, but there were a few guys sitting at the counter shooting the bull with the workers. The food was very good, pretty quick, and had I come in the day, seemed like it would have had a very nice hang-out atmosphere.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Went to Spyro's Gyros this evening with my wife and daughter. Overall, a decent experience, provided you are into casual (very casual) dining.

First, the food. Mydaughter had a vegertarian platter, which she said was excellent. My wife enjoyed her pastichio. I eade their meze assortment, and enjoyed it a lot. The portions were plentiful (which allowed us to share samples with each other) amd the prices, very reasonable.

For decor, this place gets a zero. Goose egg. Nada! Overall, very tired looking, with no apparent attempt to overcome that run-down feeling. Certainly not the place for a romantic dinner! Even the menus look tired. Kinda reonds me of some of the lower-end places I visited as a college student many years ago, but Spyro's Gyros is saved by the food.

In summary, an okay place for a tasty, moderately priced dinner with folks who aren't looking for anyting remotely fancy. They say that you can't eat the decor, but if this place showed even a modest interest in lookiing decent, I'd eat there more frequently, and I would give it another star..