“A laundry list of problems”
Review of Days Inn & Suites

Days Inn & Suites
Ranked #32 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Frederick, Maryland
“A laundry list of problems”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

A relative booked a few rooms for family to use for an in-town event. When I was told where we were staying I went to Trip Advisor (as I always do) to read the reviews. I was a little frightened by what I read. But my husband did not want to turn down a free room, so off we went.

Well, despite my low expectations I was still shocked. I should let the pictures speak for themselves but what's a picture with no story?

This place was just icky. All around icky. I barely wanted to take my shoes off.

When you first walk in to the lobby it's completely apparent that this place used to be a smoking business. And no attempt seems to have been made to deodorize it. The hallway is covered in carpet stains and when you get to your room it gets worse.

The first room we checked into, we had barely put our bags down before we had to be moved. I went to use the toilet and found that, when flushed, water seeped out of the bottom and soaked the floor. So we were moved. To a room with a functioning (just barely....because you had to hold the handle down for the entire flush) but dirty toilet. Not wanting to switch again (for fear of worse problems) we stayed.

The longer we were there the more icky things we noticed, which is why I decided to take pictures. Because I know some people doubt negative reviews, brushing off the reviewer as being picky or spoiled. But I am neither and this hotel is the pits!

Both rooms (my sister's and my own) had water damage on the bathroom ceilings, mold and/or cobwebs in various places, peeling paint and lukewarm refrigerators (even on max. temperature.) One of us had a nonworking TV. Sound but no picture. (That was later fixed.) The place smelled smoky and moldy and the entire two night stay was overall extremely disappointing.

Why didn't we leave and demand a refund? We tried. But everything else was either booked or too far out of our price range to move. So we stayed but not before swearing to never return.

I haven't even bothered to mention the hotel breakfast because there isn't much to say about it. Stale cereal, generic (Aldi) brand breads and bagels, a few donuts and terrible coffee. No yogurt, one sad bowl of bananas, instant oatmeal and that was it. So, free or not, it wasn't worth it. Nevermind the broken ice machine, stale vending machine snacks, broken door lock, dirty handprints on the wall of our room, and on and on and on.

A truly disappointing and depressing place to stay.

Room Tip: Um...choose a room at another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ShellyKP34

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The Westfield Inn wasn't too bad a hotel a few years ago..It's certainly one of the less expensive hotels on the west side of Lancaster, but after having spent a couple of nights recently, it's certainly declined.
The bathrooms weren't the cleanest nor "updated", nor the towels terribly clean, when entering the room for the first time @ nightfall, needed to call front desk - all but one of the lights had no light bulbs & all lamps were unplugged. Forget a pad of paper or pen, or a box of Kleenex. And talk about a skeleton crew...Rather depressing. Would say it's ok if you just need a place to sleep & aren't affected by it's being kind of run down.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Westfield Inn Aug 8-10, 2013. After looking at many other hotels we settled on this one for the price. I'm glad the many bad reviews didn't sway us to pick another location. The price was much lower by a large amount than anything else in the Lancaster area. Knowing this, I was expecting a really bad place. We were pleasantly surprised that the room we had was clean and comfortable. There is no smoking inside the hotel or rooms so you don't have to worry about that. We did not smell smoke. We have stayed in much worse places for much more money. The room service is busy cleaning the rooms promptly each morning and all of the common areas inside are kept clean. If you are a budget traveller like we are and usually stay in a choice hotel like Roadway, Comfort Inn, etc then you will be ok with the Westfield Inn. One thing to note, this hotel is about 10-15 minutes from downtown Lancaster and even further from the other cities you'll likely visit. So, it is a bit of a drive to get to some of the outlying towns but the close you get to Lancaster and all of the other touristy spots the higher the hotel prices go by a large magnitude. We opted to make the trek in each day to what we wanted to visit and it wasn't all that bad. I would stay here again unless I wanted to be closer to the action... I'm sure some of the bad reviews may be warranted but I also think some people are never pleased no matter what they will find fault in something. If you're looking to stay here, I hope this review helps persuade you to try it. The 3 out of 5 review I gave is mainly for the location and the fact that it is not ever going to be a top rated hotel but for what it is, I think it's fine. Thanks for reading!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marty R
Monongahela, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked 3 rooms for 2 nights my husband fell and broke his back. We called and canceled the rooms but made a reservation for sat night for my grandson. When he arrived they said first they had no reservation for him then they said that they had not received a call cancelling the other rooms. This was not true I have the call saved on my cell phone. They now want to charge my card for the nights that they say we did not call about. My grandson got into his room and they said it smelled so bad they did not want to stay. They went to the desk and were told that they would give them air freshners. My grandson said no so they moved them to another room which was not much better. They did stay the night but will never go back. Please think twice about staying here. Sleeping in the car would be better.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 741grandma
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We needed a place to stay for 2 nights while visiting family over 4th of July weekend. I was scared to stay here based on reviews, but I'm glad we did. At $83 a night it was half the price of the other hotels available in the area at the time. If you are expecting a resort you will be disappointed. If you need a place to shower and sleep it's fine. The rooms are huge. Yes, it had the smell of a hotel that was once a smoking permitted property, but it's not overwhelming. Our room was very clean, the shower worked great and the A/C was cold. Breakfast is what you would expect. The owner isn't Mr personality but he was accommodating when we asked for stuff. Right now the pool is closed for a damaged liner, so call ahead if you think you will need a pool to see if it's fixed. I'm not sure why all the negative reviews.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank danno719
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The room was outdated and dirty. The toilet was broken and apparently was unrepairable. There were no other rooms available so I had to stick my hand in the tank of the toilet to flush it my entire stay. The manager apologized but didn't offer to take any money off my bill. Staff was rude both when I booked my stay and when I later called to request an itemized bill.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Meg R
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I've traveled enough to compare & this is the worst place I'd ever stayed. After reviewing the hotel website again, I realize it is completely misleading. Do not stay here! The room had horrible stains (multiple) on the ceilings and furniture. Everything in the room was dirty. The bathroom had mold. The box springs did not have covers on them. The AC unit did not work. A breaker blew when we attempted to plug in a phone charger. The phone didn't work when we tried to call the front and tell them about it. I had to walk to the desk. The manager was annoyed and blamed it on the charger. He offered no compensation for our inconveniences. The hairdryer was literally falling off of the wall. The ice machine was broken.
Old hotels are fine, but, these CONDITIONS were unacceptable. There is obviously NO MONEY placed back into the upkeep of this property.
Any positive reviews are shocking because this was a dump!

Room Tip: There are none. Don't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Pgh53449
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Sleep Inn & Suites Lancaster County
MainStay Suites of Lancaster County
Knights Inn Lancaster PA
Knights Inn Lancaster PA
#27 of 39 in Lancaster

Been to Days Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!