“Wouldn't Do This Again”
Review of Days Inn & Suites

Days Inn & Suites
Ranked #30 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband, son and I were in Lancaster for the weekend. I usually spend around $100 a night, and I prefer to spend it at the Hampton Inn. Unfortunately, three weeks before our trip it seemed every place was booked except for the undesirable Days Inn and Econo-lodges. Westfield Inn looked respectable, and it was only a few miles from the Landis Valley Farm Museum, so that was a plus. It was also in our usual price range. When we arrived to check in on a Saturday evening after dark, there was a man loitering at the entrance. It turned out he was pan handling and approached my husband for money. Our room was on the second floor. I asked about the elevator, but there is no elevator to the second floor so you have to haul your luggage and sleepy toddler up a flight of stairs. It seemed the hotel was almost deserted, and we were the only people on the entire second floor. The bed was hard, the pillows completely deflated, and we didn't have enough bath towels for the number of people in our room. The entire hotel has an outdated dark green/mauve color scheme which highlights the dinged up walls, worn out stairs, and older amenities. Half the lights in the room didn't work. The room was clean enough, though. We slept quietly as there was no one on our floor and the huge hotel didn't have a lot of guests. There is a complimentary breakfast that is extremely basic- juice, coffee, cold cereal, bagels, and doughnuts. If you wanted a better breakfast, there is a Bob Evans across the street, and a Sheetz just up the road with excellent coffee and lots of to-go options.
I wouldn't stay here again, and if I had to do it over, I would either be cautious to book my hotel at least a month in advance so I would have better choices, or else spend an extra $50-100 and go someplace nice.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor unless it is part of your fitness plan to haul your luggage and kids up a fli...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Monica O
There are newer reviews for Days Inn & Suites

Reviewed 13 October 2013

This is a tired building and layout. The suite was spacious and had the appropriate amenities, a micro wave and mini fridge, a cafe type table, desk, two TV's a lounge chair and a love seat. The carpets are stained as are some of the ceiling tiles. The toilet took undue attention to get it to flush correctly. The place was noisy. The room doors close with a cannon like noise. There are train tracks approximately 150 yards behind the building. The staff seemed ok and friendly. The highlight was the quality of donuts at the free breakfast. Otherwise, there was a flake cereal and a cherrio type cereal along with dozens of bagels. Jelly packs and butter but no cream cheese. Frankly if we had needed to spend more than one night, I would have gone elsewhere. The Hotel.com rate was a $116.00 for a night however when the clerk printed out our receipt she blacked out an $86 rate that appears to be the regular room rate. Again, on a one night stay it wasn't worth getting into a hassle but if it hadn't been clean, it wouldn't have gotten a second star.

Room Tip: If you go here get a room in the front which is the side away from the train tracks.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ibpurpledragon
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The first thing that draws you as a rational consumer is the price and accessibility with this hotel. The hotel is a bit beaten but will really do for someone looking to save a buck. Its in a quieter place so you will enjoy your sleep. We were checked in by a gentleman who if he'd smiled a bit, the checking in would have scored towards average. The linen was nicely done and the room kept neat on our return everyday. For those who love parking behind, you will have to walk around the hotel and use the main entrance because you cannot use your room key to enter through the back door - i found this unpleasant. The hotel definitely needs a remodel and yes, remember to carry your own water if you prefer purified as opposed to spring water. Or just remember to grab some at the gas station. Oh yeah, and buy your other drinks too because the dispensers were out of service - Grrrr.. overall: cheap, neat, needs a lift and yes, they should hire a young enthusiastic receptionist...but for the money, not extremely bad.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Karuu N
Reviewed 4 October 2013

A relative booked a few rooms for family to use for an in-town event. When I was told where we were staying I went to Trip Advisor (as I always do) to read the reviews. I was a little frightened by what I read. But my husband did not want to turn down a free room, so off we went.

Well, despite my low expectations I was still shocked. I should let the pictures speak for themselves but what's a picture with no story?

This place was just icky. All around icky. I barely wanted to take my shoes off.

When you first walk in to the lobby it's completely apparent that this place used to be a smoking business. And no attempt seems to have been made to deodorize it. The hallway is covered in carpet stains and when you get to your room it gets worse.

The first room we checked into, we had barely put our bags down before we had to be moved. I went to use the toilet and found that, when flushed, water seeped out of the bottom and soaked the floor. So we were moved. To a room with a functioning (just barely....because you had to hold the handle down for the entire flush) but dirty toilet. Not wanting to switch again (for fear of worse problems) we stayed.

The longer we were there the more icky things we noticed, which is why I decided to take pictures. Because I know some people doubt negative reviews, brushing off the reviewer as being picky or spoiled. But I am neither and this hotel is the pits!

Both rooms (my sister's and my own) had water damage on the bathroom ceilings, mold and/or cobwebs in various places, peeling paint and lukewarm refrigerators (even on max. temperature.) One of us had a nonworking TV. Sound but no picture. (That was later fixed.) The place smelled smoky and moldy and the entire two night stay was overall extremely disappointing.

Why didn't we leave and demand a refund? We tried. But everything else was either booked or too far out of our price range to move. So we stayed but not before swearing to never return.

I haven't even bothered to mention the hotel breakfast because there isn't much to say about it. Stale cereal, generic (Aldi) brand breads and bagels, a few donuts and terrible coffee. No yogurt, one sad bowl of bananas, instant oatmeal and that was it. So, free or not, it wasn't worth it. Nevermind the broken ice machine, stale vending machine snacks, broken door lock, dirty handprints on the wall of our room, and on and on and on.

A truly disappointing and depressing place to stay.

Room Tip: Um...choose a room at another hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ShellyKP34
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The Westfield Inn wasn't too bad a hotel a few years ago..It's certainly one of the less expensive hotels on the west side of Lancaster, but after having spent a couple of nights recently, it's certainly declined.
The bathrooms weren't the cleanest nor "updated", nor the towels terribly clean, when entering the room for the first time @ nightfall, needed to call front desk - all but one of the lights had no light bulbs & all lamps were unplugged. Forget a pad of paper or pen, or a box of Kleenex. And talk about a skeleton crew...Rather depressing. Would say it's ok if you just need a place to sleep & aren't affected by it's being kind of run down.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Westfield Inn Aug 8-10, 2013. After looking at many other hotels we settled on this one for the price. I'm glad the many bad reviews didn't sway us to pick another location. The price was much lower by a large amount than anything else in the Lancaster area. Knowing this, I was expecting a really bad place. We were pleasantly surprised that the room we had was clean and comfortable. There is no smoking inside the hotel or rooms so you don't have to worry about that. We did not smell smoke. We have stayed in much worse places for much more money. The room service is busy cleaning the rooms promptly each morning and all of the common areas inside are kept clean. If you are a budget traveller like we are and usually stay in a choice hotel like Roadway, Comfort Inn, etc then you will be ok with the Westfield Inn. One thing to note, this hotel is about 10-15 minutes from downtown Lancaster and even further from the other cities you'll likely visit. So, it is a bit of a drive to get to some of the outlying towns but the close you get to Lancaster and all of the other touristy spots the higher the hotel prices go by a large magnitude. We opted to make the trek in each day to what we wanted to visit and it wasn't all that bad. I would stay here again unless I wanted to be closer to the action... I'm sure some of the bad reviews may be warranted but I also think some people are never pleased no matter what they will find fault in something. If you're looking to stay here, I hope this review helps persuade you to try it. The 3 out of 5 review I gave is mainly for the location and the fact that it is not ever going to be a top rated hotel but for what it is, I think it's fine. Thanks for reading!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marty R
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked 3 rooms for 2 nights my husband fell and broke his back. We called and canceled the rooms but made a reservation for sat night for my grandson. When he arrived they said first they had no reservation for him then they said that they had not received a call cancelling the other rooms. This was not true I have the call saved on my cell phone. They now want to charge my card for the nights that they say we did not call about. My grandson got into his room and they said it smelled so bad they did not want to stay. They went to the desk and were told that they would give them air freshners. My grandson said no so they moved them to another room which was not much better. They did stay the night but will never go back. Please think twice about staying here. Sleeping in the car would be better.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 741grandma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Sleep Inn & Suites Lancaster County
Heritage Hotel
Heritage Hotel
#21 of 40 in Lancaster
Comfort Inn Lancaster County

Been to Days Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!