“Great Location - but use caution if bringing valuables”

Comfort Inn Lancaster - Rockvale Outlets
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Great Location - but use caution if bringing valuables”
Reviewed 27 July 2009

I will review this hotel in the most honest way possible, listing the good and the bad experiences we had while guests of this property.

The good: outstanding service from the on-site reservations staff (possibly front desk staff) when calling to inquire about rooms and availability. Gentlemen at check in was very professional and also offered and confirmed a late check out for us, as husband is priority member with Holiday Inns frequent guest program. The pool was very nice and having 1st floor access with a second entrance to our room from the pool area. This would be great for families with small children, as you would not have to walk through the lobby area allowing quicker access to your room for snacks, afternoon naps etc.
If you are there for shopping, the outlets are right there on property, as well as several chain restaurants. We are orginally from the Lancaster area, so we chose not to eat breakfast at the hotel and instead revisit some of our favorite places for dining.

The negative part of our stay -
our room, while appearing very nicely decorated upon entrance - was filthy dirty - from the lamp switches and lamps, to the bathroom toilet area, to the dust and snack crumbs (not form our children at this point) in and around the bed/headboard area. I immediately cleaned up a leftover snack that was covered with ants. Hotel was completely full, so another room was not an option. Upon waking (bed were very comfortable!) husband and child left room to wait for me in lobby area. I had quickly used my hair flat iron, unplugged it in the bathroom and left it on the sink area. I did not wrap the cord, as the curling iron itself was still very hot when I was ready to leave the room. Since we had a late check out, I left most of our belongings to be packed, but did clear our toiletries from the bathroom. The only item left was the flat iron. We went breakfast and returned to hotel to pack and a quick swim prior to our 1PM check out. Upon entering the room, I went straight to the bathroom area to retreive the flat iron and begin packing. The flat iron was gone. I mentioned to my husband and we looked through all of our luggage to be sure. My husband went to recheck the bath area and happened to look BEHIND the door. There was my flat iron wedged in the corner with the cord neatly wrapped around it. I have been employed in the travel industry for over 25 years. 1st time I can honestly say that I have ever had to worry about theft at a Holiday Inn in Lancaster, PA! My eyes were opened and I will now be very cautious about bringing personnel belongings. But a flat iron....please. It's a $120.00 item. What about my clients that may bring items of greater value.

We did calmly report our concerns to the front desk - no apology. No offer to question the staff. In my opinion, this was handled very poorly by the management on duty.
One final - but important note:
When we left for breakfast - the DO NOT DISTURB sign was on our door. We returned to the hotel BEFORE the required check out time for all guests, which I believe is 11AM. The DO NOT DISTRUB sign was still on our door when we returned from breakfast. So WHY would anyone have had a need to enter our room? Housekeeping or other staff?

Just words of caution. I hope everyone has much better experiences at this proporty in the future. P.S. The new Comfort Suites (their sister property) just down the street is very nice. We stayed there our second night, absolutely no problems. Hotel opened in late April. I was told that hotels have the same owners. We enjoyed our stay at Comfort Suites.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank dempsFL3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 16 July 2009

I usually do not stay with his chain but booked it for its location and convenience. This is a gem in the heart of all the Lancaster tourist areas. It is located on the Rockvale outlet property. I found the rooms clean and neat. The pool was quite nice and very clean and the fitness room although small did work for us.
The surprise was the breakfast buffet. Not your normal fair for a hotel like this. We stood over a weekend the first day the buffet included real hot scrambled eggs and the next day omlettes and bacon including your regular muffins etc. The staff in the restaurant was quite accommodating. I think one woman said god mooring to me about three times. Excellent customer service. It was a block away for the Amish Farm house, Chain restaurants are steps away including Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden and Chillis. A few minutes from the downtown City of Lancaster and about a 40 minute ride to Hereby Park. The central location and clean hotel and value for the price make this a prime place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Robby7
New York
Reviewed 9 June 2009

This hotel met all of my expectations. It is a modern property and the rooms were in good condition. Although the location is in an outlet shopping center, the hotel was situated centrally to all the features of the lancaster area. The staff was friendly and the complimentary breakfast as well as the free internet access were very nice bonuses. The pool area was also very nice. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank centuriongt
Phil
Reviewed 29 May 2009

One of the best hotel i stayed in my recent road trip. The only problem is they overcharged my credit card by 20 dollars a night.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank mitan
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Location is great! Right in the heart of all the action in the area. Fairly clean rooms, good service. Breakfast is sufficient. Eggs, cereal, toast, yoghurt, muffins, bananas, juice...all the basics are there. Perhaps a bit more fruit would be nice but it is certainly a personal preference, no complaints.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cosmic_babygirl
Delaware
Reviewed 29 March 2009

I just recently stayed two nights at the Holiday Inn Express Rockvale. The best thing about this hotel is the close proximity to the Rockvale Shoping outlets and the American Music Theater. My mother and I were in town to see the American Idol Pop Tour at the American Music Theater located across the street. The front staff as we arrived were just okay, not overly friendly like i'm used to. The lobby is very nice and cozy. As we walked into our roon i noticed a slight smoke smell, but thought it was just my imagination since this is a smoke free hotel. I entered the bathroom to find a cigarette in the toilet, so it wasn't my imagination after all. I immediately went down to inform the front desk, so they wouldn't think it was me disobeying the rules. The clerk acted shocked but didn't offer us another room. Ok, that was fine, but when I returned I noticed that we didn't have any wash cloths in the bathroom. I also found a dirty sock at the end of the bed on the floor. It seemed to me that housekeeping did a lousy job if any with cleaning this room prior to the next guest arriving. I feel that all rooms should be checked prior to anyone coming through the door. The room did have a microwave and mini fridge. The bed was comfortable, but the pillow cases could use steaming or pressing. Appearance is everything. On the second day I went back down to the front desk to inquire about a comment card since I didn't see any in the room. The male clerk informed me that I didn't see one because they don't require comment cards. This was the prime oportunity to ask me if there was a problem. Check out time I wasn't even asked how was my stay. Maybe I'm just too picky when it comes to Hotels, but i'm a part-time Travel agent and I like to try out various Hotels in order to bring the best to my clients. To me, this hotel needs improvement with people skills and housekeeping.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank BermudaQueen
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 January 2009

We stayed here to catch a late show & do some shopping. Although the hotel was clean & rooms were fine, I was incredulous the following morning when no cheese omelets, no breakfast meat, no country gravy & most unbelievable of all, no cinnamon rolls! Holy cow, I stay in a lot of H-Inn expresses & this is the first time this has ever happened as long as I can remember (since they first implemented this cinnamon roll tradition). I really felt let down.

• Stayed December 2008