“Nice but Crowded”

Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Massillon, Ohio
“Nice but Crowded”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2009

My family and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, just off of the Lincoln Highway in Lancaster, PA. We chose this location because it was just north of Strasburg, where we saw the excellent "In the Beginning" musical at the Sight & Sound Millennium theater.

This hotel is a little ways off the main highway, tucked in an outlet shopping area. It has an nice, and clean, outdoor pool within its courtyard. Our room was on the first floor, facing the swimming pool, so we had 2 doors - 1 in the hallway and 1 to the courtyard. The room had 2 queen beds (my preferred size), a refrigerator and microwave, decent sized tube color TV, and wireless internet. The room was in good shape and clean. We did, however, have some problems getting the card keys to read, especially for the courtyard door.

The only problem that we really had, besides the key cards, was that the hotel must have been booked, or close to it. When we arrived back at the hotel, after the Sight & Sound show, there were only a few parking spaces left in the back corner of the hotel. That corner is not lit up at night. I believe that this hotel needs more adequate parking and lighting. Then in the morning, it seemed that most of the guests headed to breakfast at the same time, just 30 minutes before closing - our mistake as well. It was very crowded, but we managed to share a table with some other guests. The food did not totally run out, but it we did have to wait a few times for replenishing. A pretty good job for all the people there.

In the end, I would recommend staying at this hotel. It is close to Amish country attractions, as well as Sight & Sound theater. There are plenty of restaurants nearby as well.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Buckeye_Traveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

I stayed here recently with my family for a weekend of shopping and to see a show at the American Music Theater. This hotel is in a great location. We were greeted warmly by the receptionist on duty. He was kind and courteous. The hotel lobby is very nice and open. Our room was ready and we were directed to it. Upon entering the hallway we were greeted with a horrendous smell. It was like an orange cleaning spray trying to cover up something not so right. Our room was clean until further inspection. The floors were clearly not swept because there were crumbs throughout the room. Our air conditioning did not work. And the wiring to the wall was a fire waiting to happen. We wanted out of there... We called the front desk and were switched to another room immediately. The staff was very kind and courteous but the hotel is in need of a remodel. You would think that in the middle of such a tourist attraction such as Lancaster that Holiday Inn Express would see to this. In this economy and trying to stretch your buck as far as it can go, I expect better for my hard earned money. When you shell out a hundred plus dollars a night...you expect cleanliness, a room in working order and somewhat of a nice atmosphere and this is not what we received. I don't think I would return and take my chances on this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cfield830
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2009

I have stayed at this hotel many times before because it is close to everything and because I am a platinum member of Holiday Inn's Priority Club. The hotel has always maintained fairly nice standards, however, something has changed.
My first problem occurred while making the reservation. I was able to get a king size bed room for my 1st night and my 3rd night, but not the second. I called the hotel and they told me to make 3 separate reservations - booking a standard room for the 2nd night. I was told that they would accomodate the request at the time of check in.
When we arrived, the manager was checking people in. He was quite frazzled and short with everyone. He then explained that the area was under a tornado watch and shortly there after, the power went out. It returned after about 2 minutes. He then advised us that there was no king size bed available. When I told him of my Priority Club status and my direct call to the hotel, he seemed somewhat annoyed. Actually he advised me that my status was gold and not platinum. I clearly stated to him that that was just an accounting issue since I had been on the road for 14 days and had stayed mainly at Holiday Inn Hotels. Finally after about 30 minutes in total, we were given a king size bed room.
When we got into the room, we noticed that some towels had already been used and that both trash cans had garbage in them. Later that evening, my son went to sleep on the sofa bed and found no sheets on the bed. Being 15, he just slept with the blanket and pillow -ugh!
While using the bathroom th next morning, a small roach crawled across the floor. The front desk was advised of the situations and we were assured that everything would be taken care of.
That night, we found the sofa bed covered, however, the mattress was wrapped with the same blanket my son had slept with - no sheets. This time he went down to the front desk and got sheets.
The next morning, I was back at the front desk asking them to explain to housekeeping how to cover a sofa bed. There was also a roach spotted in the breakfast area at that time.
Thankfully, that night the sofa bed was made up properly, however, my patience with this hotel was finished.
As mentioned before, I have stayed at this hotel many times before - to be exact, we have stayed there 7 nights in the past 13 months. The hotel is just not up to par of where it was.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank creativetraveler
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2009

This hotel has everything rolled into one. It offers the best location to all the attractions, shopping and dining. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The free breakfast cannot be beat with so many selections to please very palate. The rooms are clean and roomy. All in all, a most pleasant experience. Have been a frequent guest at the Holiday Inn Express and found that it offers the best in comparison to other hotels nearby.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank legendonly
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

We booked this Hotel far in advance to our trip to the Lancaster Area. When we showed up to check in here what we found:
1> We came in at about 2 pm after our "Red eye flight" from West Coast. The check in agent said the room was not ready, and asked us to come back. The agent promised to call our cell phone when the room was ready, but never did.

2> We came back at around 5pm to check in. To our suprise we were checked in into "A Smoking Room" where as we never booked a smoking room as a non-smokers. We asked the Manager to change our SMOKING into NON-SMOKING room but found no help and given several reasons about the reservation being for a Smoking room, and that their hotel has nothing else for our 3 night stay. Manager, nor Check-In agent provided any alternatives, or any appologies, nothing. It was OK for them.. and they could care less that my wife had Asthma when she was a Child. Nothing.

3. Since we had no choice, we ended up in this Smoking Room for 3 nights, as Hotel would not refund our prepaid room. The room smelled like "chimney" ALL the Time. When we turned on the AC, it got worse, as the AC Machine had soaked up all the smoke from many years of smoke in the room. So, we had to keep our Windows open to survive the "chimney" smell. It was horrible. Management did not care a bit. We found a janitor lady in the hall, who kindly provided a Fan for our room, but it did not do much good help too.. We had to sleep with Open windows all 3 nights facing the horrible smells.

4. The room was with outdated furniture. The bathroom walls and parts of the room need to be remodeled. The Arm Chair in the Room had all kinds of "white" stains, we did not even want to guess what was it. The Shower towel we had was torn out ( see the picture), and the Deadbolt on the entry door was ripped off-Broken ( see the picture).

5> One evening we came out to use the hotel pool. After few minutes being in the pool we had to leave the pool area, as one of Hotel Guests was Drunk, was sitting in the pool area and bothering other guests.

Anyways, we would think again before coming to this Hotel. We did not have positive exerience with this hotel from getting the "smoker" room into the 3 night adventure. We would probably stay somewhere else in the Lancaster area next time. We drove around, and pin pointed some alternative hotels and inns for our next stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shuk1
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2009

We just got back from staying at this hotel. The accomadations were great. The Express Start breakfast was good. They had a large variety of foods to choose from. The hotel is definitely centrally located in the heart of Amish Country and close to all attractions. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The only complaint I have is that the rooms could use better lighting. But other than that it was a great place to stay. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sunsetpark815
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

I will review this hotel in the most honest way possible, listing the good and the bad experiences we had while guests of this property.

The good: outstanding service from the on-site reservations staff (possibly front desk staff) when calling to inquire about rooms and availability. Gentlemen at check in was very professional and also offered and confirmed a late check out for us, as husband is priority member with Holiday Inns frequent guest program. The pool was very nice and having 1st floor access with a second entrance to our room from the pool area. This would be great for families with small children, as you would not have to walk through the lobby area allowing quicker access to your room for snacks, afternoon naps etc.
If you are there for shopping, the outlets are right there on property, as well as several chain restaurants. We are orginally from the Lancaster area, so we chose not to eat breakfast at the hotel and instead revisit some of our favorite places for dining.

The negative part of our stay -
our room, while appearing very nicely decorated upon entrance - was filthy dirty - from the lamp switches and lamps, to the bathroom toilet area, to the dust and snack crumbs (not form our children at this point) in and around the bed/headboard area. I immediately cleaned up a leftover snack that was covered with ants. Hotel was completely full, so another room was not an option. Upon waking (bed were very comfortable!) husband and child left room to wait for me in lobby area. I had quickly used my hair flat iron, unplugged it in the bathroom and left it on the sink area. I did not wrap the cord, as the curling iron itself was still very hot when I was ready to leave the room. Since we had a late check out, I left most of our belongings to be packed, but did clear our toiletries from the bathroom. The only item left was the flat iron. We went breakfast and returned to hotel to pack and a quick swim prior to our 1PM check out. Upon entering the room, I went straight to the bathroom area to retreive the flat iron and begin packing. The flat iron was gone. I mentioned to my husband and we looked through all of our luggage to be sure. My husband went to recheck the bath area and happened to look BEHIND the door. There was my flat iron wedged in the corner with the cord neatly wrapped around it. I have been employed in the travel industry for over 25 years. 1st time I can honestly say that I have ever had to worry about theft at a Holiday Inn in Lancaster, PA! My eyes were opened and I will now be very cautious about bringing personnel belongings. But a flat iron....please. It's a $120.00 item. What about my clients that may bring items of greater value.

We did calmly report our concerns to the front desk - no apology. No offer to question the staff. In my opinion, this was handled very poorly by the management on duty.
One final - but important note:
When we left for breakfast - the DO NOT DISTURB sign was on our door. We returned to the hotel BEFORE the required check out time for all guests, which I believe is 11AM. The DO NOT DISTRUB sign was still on our door when we returned from breakfast. So WHY would anyone have had a need to enter our room? Housekeeping or other staff?

Just words of caution. I hope everyone has much better experiences at this proporty in the future. P.S. The new Comfort Suites (their sister property) just down the street is very nice. We stayed there our second night, absolutely no problems. Hotel opened in late April. I was told that hotels have the same owners. We enjoyed our stay at Comfort Suites.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family