“Excellence”

Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Old Bridge, New Jersey
“Excellence”
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This is the first time I've ever taken time out to write a review on anything. The servcie and hospitality we were provided was so amazing I just had to write about it & this seemed like the place to do it. My husband & I took our 10month old baby to Lancaster for Labor Day Weekend. This hotel was conveniently located to EVERYTHING we had on our agenda of things to do and see. The room was so clean (I was worried about a dirty room with my crawling 10month) & restocked daily with fresh towels and toiletries. The grounds were quiet, there was a guest with 4 kids in the room next to us and we never heard a peep. We had a poolside room which was nice, the pool area was kept up really nice. We never went swimming, but we sat by the pool for a little while one afternoon. The continental breakfast was exceptional, egg & cheese omlets one day and the second day we were there they had scrambeled eggs. Not to mention everything else they had to offer & I will never forget the cinnamon buns that were so delicious! Overall we had a great experience & Kelly at the front desk was SOOO friendly & helpful. Very impressive & we plan on going back again next year when our daughter is a little bit older & can appreciate all Lancaster has to offer for the kids. We will definitely be staying at Holiday Inn Express. One more thing worth mentioning before I complete this review is that the beds & pillows were very comfy!! I slept so sound during our stay.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank kimm1121

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 17 August 2010

This is the second time that we stayed here. It is centrally located in the heart of Dutch Country. Clean and the staff is very nice and helpful.

I do have a few suggestions: 1. The rooms do need more lighting. It seemed a little dark for me. 2. Although there is a large selection for the continental breakfast, they need to change their hot item to something other than eggs everyday. Maybe like make your own waffles.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank sunsetpark815
Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Staff are non-stop noisy @ 6am Banging, laughing, radio blasting! UNREAL
Air conditioner & refrigerator are not cold

We chose this HIExpress because of its great location to outlet & restaurants. If you do too, be prepared to wake up EARLY!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank marnan25
NYC
Reviewed 5 August 2010

My family stayed at this hotel last summer and we were very pleased. The service was exceptional. The staff was pleasant and made you feel welcome. This hotel is going downhill. This year we stayed three nights and it is was an unpleasant experience from the moment we checked it. We were greeted with an attitude. When we called the desk with internet issues there was no answer on several occassions. I walked over to the front desk and no one was there, I rang the bell and waited 10 minutes. A customer walked in and said he tried calling to make reservations and no one answered the phone so he decided to show up anyway. Our toilet was not working properly. Our key stopped working and it took 30 minutes to resolve. By the way, they say hi-speed internet, however we had problems with the internet working during the entire stay, slow as a turtle. I tried the computer in the lobby which had the same issues. Their answer was we wrote a ticket to look into it and that's the best we could do. We're going back to Lancaster with friends at the end of this month and will not stay there. The pool was closed the second morning because it was being cleaned for a photo shoot. The next day we were told it would not be available until dinner time because of the actual photo shoot. We went out and when we returned we found out the photo shoot was cancelled. On the upside, the beds are very comfortable and it's in a great location for dining shopping, and going to Dutch Wonderland or Amish county sightseeing.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Lanehalli
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Let me start by saying that I LOVE Holiday Inn Express hotels and am a Priority Club member. Maybe that is why I was so disappointed in this property. HI should strongly reconsider if they want this property representing their chain.

1. The room smelled horrid. It outwardly looked clean; the furnishings were in good shape, but the smell of mildew/ mold was overpowering. Finally, my daughter figured out that it was the a/c-- (maybe a filter?) When I mentioned it to the front desk they acted surprised- "no one had ever complained about that before" making it seem as though it was me and not the room. Um... no. There was black mold under the window.

2. At 8:30 on Monday morning the housekeeping staff was knocking on doors waking people up asking if the y could clean rooms. If no one answered, they opened the doors if they could to start cleaning. I watched them open more than one door surprising the people in the rooms (who didn't have the privacy lock on) apologizing. They were about to unlock my door when I walked up-- because my sleeping daughter did not hear them knock. When I complained to the front desk she acted surprised that housekeeping was already cleaning. Um. I don't believe that this was a one time occurrence. There were at least three maid's carts working on the first floor of this property. When my daughter came out, the maids asked her if we were ready to clean the room. It was MAYBE 8:45 am. So much for 11 AM check out.

3. Breakfast was fine and plentiful. The cinnamon rolls were as delicious as at all HI Expresses. There was ample seating; the property opened up an extra room, which helped. Perhaps they read a prior review.

4. The computer in the lobby was not connected to the internet at the time, although there was wi-fi available so it was not an issue for me.

There are PLENTY of other options in Lancaster within blocks of this property. I would NOT recommend this property to ANYONE with any allergies who likes to sleep later than 8:30.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ChloesMomBetsey
Batavia, Illinois
Reviewed 21 July 2010

I've now learned to stay away from HIE's that weren't custom built. This appears to be an old motel that was repurposed. The toilet required multiple flushes, the airconditioner didn't cool very well, and when I called the front desk about these issues, there was no answer - twice. And since there were about 5 buses in the parking lot, they were full. Even if they had answered the phone, there would have been no place to put us.

Breakfast area was too small for the size of the hotel.

HIE should take a look at this hotel to see if it meets their standards. Ramada? Yeah.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GarthGadwall
South Boston, Virginia
Reviewed 20 July 2010

So the first room I was given had no air conditioning, and when I went and told them, they sent down a maintenance guy who said that the unit should have been put on the computer (I guess to control them all remotely and more efficiently???) and that it would take a while. So I was given another room, which you will see if you check under jeffhfromoxford at youtube. The place was clean and the continental breakfast was fine, but there were issues. I should not have been given a room with no air conditioning--that was an oversight for the housekeeper and the housekeeping supervisor. We had already unpacked so it was a hassle. The other room we got was not smoking, did not have a king size bed (2 things we wanted), and one bedside lamp did not work. The room key did not open up the exterior door (Door B); two maintenance guys were working on it earlier but did not get it fixed. No note or anything and other guests were inconvenienced by the lock being unfixed/broken. So we had to go in a door farther away. It was all a bunch of small little problems/issues, but I don't need it when traveling. Because of the hassle, I was not satisfied, and when we need a room up in Lancaster, PA, again, we'll go somewhere else. The shame of it all is that, a couple of months ago, the hotel's website would not let me book the room directly because of some technology problem with the site, and when I called, they would not give me the website rate. I called the national office, and they did give me that rate and enrolled me in the corporate frequent stay program; I threw the card away this morning due to the lousy job at the Lancaster, PA, Holiday Inn Express. I said to the woman in the lobby that I wasn't satisfied, and I told her that she did not have to apologize, as the problems were based in maintenance and housekeeping flaws. An On-Duty manager should have spoken with me, and I implied that was what I wanted. So avoid this place and go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple