“Great Service in the Heart of the Lancaster Outlet Area”

Country Inn of Lancaster
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Philadelphia Suburbs, PA
“Great Service in the Heart of the Lancaster Outlet Area”
Reviewed 31 March 2008

If you're in the Lancaster area to visit the outlets, you couldn't do better than to say in this wonderful little hotel right on Route 30. It's not elegant but it is very comfortable, well priced, and the service is excellent. I'd stayed there several years ago and had my fingers crossed that this visit would be as pleasant and was pleased that it was even better than I remembered. This reasonably priced hotel just abounds in service with a capital S.

First, the hotel is on Route 30 but is behind another building so you are spared some of the sounds of traffic from this busy highway. Upon driving up to the reception area, you see the porches filled with rockers -- it's welcoming already. When you come in the lobby, you find comfortable seating that is frequently used by the guests so they can enjoy the 24 hour free coffee and juice bar that the hotel provides. (PS ... The hotel offers a modest discount is you show an AARP or AAA card.)

I'd also note that I felt very 'safe' in this hotel late at night. I always evaluate whether I'd feel comfortable reading a book in the lobby if I can't sleep at night (out of deference to waking hubby with a glaring bed lamp) and I'd give this hotel an unqualified high rating for being welcoming to insomniacs. Well staffed, comfortable seating, and coffee/tea/juice makes if a welcome place to pass an hour or so if you can't sleep.

The guest rooms are a bit early American to be considered 'fine decor' but in the heart of Lancaster the simplicity/comfort of the furniture fits right in. Our room was clean, spacious, and the temperature was comfortable.

Now to the service part ... upon checking in I asked a question about a antique outlet some 20 miles from the hotel. The staff had not heard of it nor did they have any brochures. But, as I was asking one staff member about this establishment, another was on the internet looking it up and answering my question about open hours. I was really impressed.

At the other end of our visit, during checkout, just as we'd picked up our bags to go out the door, the fire alarm went off. As we headed out to the parking lot, staff members were going down the hallways, clearing the building and directing guests to the nearest exit. Everything was orderly, the staff knew what to do, and they were doing it. Just incredible.

We didn't have the continental breakfast that is served daily from 7 - 10 AM but I peeked into the breakfast area and saw bagels, doughnuts, apple crumb cake, and cereal. Everything was clean and there was comfortable seating.

Speaking of food ... if you are too exhausted at the end of a shopping day, you can walk across the parking lot and there is a small family style restaurant and bar. Once again -- very clean with good 'comfort' food.

All in all, a wonderfull little well priced place to stay when hitting the outlets.

• Liked — The Staff was incredibly competent and provided wonderful service
  • Disliked — Pillows could be a bit more comfy
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Noanie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Westborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 August 2007

We arrived without reservation and were willing to stay almost anywhere. We were pleasantly surprised. The staff was friendly, the room was ultra clean and the decor was quaint. Much better than expected! The view wasn't the best, but the coziness of the room made up for it. We would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — room decor/quilts
  • Disliked — breakfast room was small
  • Stayed August 2007
1 Thank djfan
massachusetts
Reviewed 19 August 2007

This hotel was horrible. Room smelled bad, staff was rude and uncaring. Over all hotel was dangerous and unsafe for occupancy one of the people with us got hurt and hotel staff didn't even care or show any compassion, stay away from this hotel at all costs!

• Liked — did not like anything about this hotel
  • Disliked — did not like anything about this dirty hotel
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank vtxretrorider
New Jersey
Reviewed 12 August 2007

My family went to this hotel on 4 th of July weekend. The rooms were musty and smelly and damp. The room smelled like someone was trying to "cover up" a bad smell/ We checked out after 5 minutes of being in the room.

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank kerrybee
Atlanta GA
Reviewed 30 June 2007

We had the understanding that this property had rooms overlooking Amish farmland and that all rooms had porches with rocking chairs. The rocking chair porches were only for those on the first floor which we were not!

Our room was in the front and overlooked a gas station parking lot - not inviting.

Also, the lack of cleanliness in the elevator was a turn off as was twice having to ride with a cot in the small elevator.

It was a most disappointing experience; and within an hour of arriving we canceled our reservation for the second night and returned to where we had been the night before who couldn't take us when we first made reservations but thankfully had a room for the next night.

• Liked — They canceled our seond night with no questions asked or cancellation fee.
  • Disliked — the view from our room, no rocking chair porch, and the location - not real near Amish farmland
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Lancaster2007
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 18 September 2006

I have stayed in better, room had slight smell to it.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank DanMar823
NY
Reviewed 27 August 2006

We just got back from a stay here. On their billboard in the front of the place, they advertise something to the effect of "get a room with a rocking chair on your own porch". I read reviews that they had the rocking chairs, and I thought it would be fun to sit out on our own porch before we went to bed, so we went in and made reservations.

We did not get a room with a rocking chair. There are not many rooms that have them, but they don't tell you that. Ours was a plain room. No fridge, the quilts on the bed looked like something I could buy in Sears, not the Amish quilts I was expecting. The room was clean except for a stain on the rug near the bathroom and a small spider on the wall. The air conditioning worked well. The room had a large TV, but the reception was snowy most of the time, but you could still see the picture.

The breakfast was really good in the mornings. They had bagels,doughnuts, and some kind of crumb cake, as well as cereal, juice and coffee. There is a juice and coffee machine in the lobby, but the apple juice was empty the first day we got there, and a few times if I went down for a cup of coffee at night, the thermoses were almost empty or empty.

The pool was nice and clean, and my son enjoyed it until some kids decided to ignore the no diving signs and made a run for it and jumped into the pool over and over again. My son and I don't swim, so we had to leave for fear of getting knocked over. My 3 year old daughter got splashed by them and was scared to ever go back. The water was kind of chilly, and when we got out of the water, we were freezing because they had the skylights and most of the patio doors open. There is no lifeguard or anyone around to supervise what's going on. I ended up in the hot tub, which was great until the clorine fumes killed my eyes.

While this place was mostly clean and adequate, for the price, I think I'll find someplace else next time, maybe somewhere that has a playground for the kids or nice peaceful landscaping. When I finally sat on a rocker (which was not at all comfortable by the way) on the front porch of the hotel, all I saw was cars in the parking lot, which is not relaxing.

• Liked — The continetal breakfast
  • Disliked — The wild kids in the pool and lack of scenery
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family