“Great pool”

Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Melbourne, Australia
“Great pool”
Reviewed 27 June 2010

My husband, 2 year old and 4 year old and I stayed here for two nights while visiting Dutch Wonderland.

What wasn't so great: As previous commenters have noted, the decor is a bit dated - lots of shades of brown - but it was clean. I liked the pillows; they were fluffy and there were a LOT of them. Neither my husband nor I slept well on the bed. We were on the first floor and didn't have a porch or a rocking chair, but there were rocking chairs everywhere in public areas if you wanted one. the breakfast was just donuts, sugary cereal, and bagels, plus drinks, and the breakfast room was only four tables. The lighting in our room was a bit dim, and our "smoke free" room had a cigarette burn in the seat of a chair.

What was great: the kids loved the pool. It has sliding panels on the roof and sides that open up. The floor is very very slippery in the pool area, though, so wear flipflops with good tread. The service was very good. Room service was delivered within 10 minutes - GREAT when you have hungry kids! Towels were plentiful and nice, water pressure was good, A/C was very good and not too loud.

For our purposes, this hotel was just fine. We didn't plan to hang out there too much, but it was a good place to crash between visits to museums and the amusement park, and the pool gave us a nice place to start and/or end our days.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank MariaTS48

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Hebrew first
Milford, Delaware
Reviewed 14 June 2010

First of all, we know that there are always both sides to online reviews. Either people love it or hate it. Unfortunately, this is a true-to-life HORROR story..
If you value your checkbook and safeguarding you money, do NOT sleep here!

We are an honest family of three, (Husband, wife and 3 1/2 year old daughter). We came for our daughter's first time to Dutch Wonderland, (which by the way, was absolutely fantastic, wonderful and a complete blast!! =)

But for this NIGHTMARE, Country Inn of Lancaster hotel secretly charged $100.02 right after we left (according to our bank PNC) and falsely accused us of STEALING PILLOW SHAMS!! Four pillow shams! Can you believe this?? LIke we would take a flipping pillow cover!!!???

An absolute flipping nightmare. Our bank was overdrawn and charges applied all because they charged us (on Saturday).

It boils down to the INCREDIBLY IMMATURE and bad-attitude manager named Kevin (what a joke that this person is even a manager!) had an issue when we were in the first place give MIS-information.

And / or... the head Housekeeper who is covering her/his own butt due to incredible carelessness. Personally, we are confident that Kevin, the manager at Country Inn of Lancaster is responsible for this hurtful fiasco.

From the get-go, it was RUDE RUDE RUDE. These folks obviously don't care about any form of customer service. They watch each other's backs, but they literally STABBED our finances in the back.

Yes, the hotel was cute, but we would NEVER in our lifetime recommend this hotel to even our enemies. If we could afford a lawyer, we would sue this place for such a wrongdoing as they did to us as a family. These people should not be allowed to operate a business.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank foxfamily238
Lake George Ny
Reviewed 22 April 2010

my husband 2 young boys and I stayed 2 nites and only wished we had stayed longer. Nice comfortable homey feeling room, very spacious bathroom 2 queen beds and a fridge. Nice continental breakfast and a very nice indoor outdoor pool and big hot tub that the kids and my husband and I all enjoyed . We had a room with sliding doors out onto a little balconey, very relaxing sitting back in the rockers that are on the porch on the balconey, only wish I had asked for one of the rooms facing the courtyard instead of Rt 30 but still and all very relaxing. nice comfortable lobby and very friendly helpful staff and the rooms are absolutely spotless the cleaning staff does and excellent job. They do have a restaurant on site although we did not go there this visit and there many good places to eat close by. The only downside is that you are stuck in all the hubbub of busy Lancaster and we prefer to go to Bird in Hand or the other communities but once inside the motel you become very relaxed and can leave the business of lancaster outside if you wish to or enjoy all that lancaster has to offer. We can't wait to go back to country inn again soon.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank momszoo
Virginia
Reviewed 22 August 2009

I had called to get a price for a room I was given a price and upon arriving was told another price. Then girl that had quoted the price on the phone(Ashley) denied quoting the price. Had the weather not been ugly and I had tired kids I would have left promptly. We went to the room the whole hall smells musty upon entering the room we noticed that the smell carried in there as well. As previous reviewers have said the pillows are flat and the beds are hard. The rooms appear clean if a little dated. I think under different management, removing some employees and some updating this would be a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank VirginiaMom2two
Maryland
Reviewed 11 August 2009

My young daughter, fiance and i stayed on a weekend trip to Dutch Wonderland. The overall experience was not bad at all. Allthough i do have a few complaints.... while in the shower, the water temp. kept turning cold off and on, the beds and pillows were not that comfortable ( NOT FOR PEOPLE WITH BAD BACKS ) !!!!!!! Breakfast room was very small, and last but not least...THERE WERE SPIDERS EVERYWHERE !!!! I even found a small one in the bed crawling under the sheets !! But the overall stay was not terrible... pool was very nice, my daughter loved it !!! I loved the country setting of the hotel, cleanliness of the room was good and the staff seemed friendly to me. You definately can't beat the half price on a Sunday night !!!! We will be back.

• Stayed August 2009
2 Thank MarylandHazeleyes
PA
Reviewed 5 June 2009

This is the same letter I sent to the hotel manager. Almost a week later NO reply!

Recently we rented two rooms at the Country Inn, to celebrate my daughter's Birthday. Her father came down from Massachusetts and rented one, and we rented the other.

I cannot tell you how disappointed we are in our stay there. We have stayed at this hotel in the past and really enjoyed it. This time was much different.

When we checked in we were told by the woman that checked us in on Sunday, 5/31, that the pool closed at 11:00 P.M.. I then called my son who had to work until 10, to let him know if he came right from work he would still have 45 minutes to swim.
After hurrying to change, and my daughter waiting to swim with him, they were in the pool for 5 minutes when a hotel staff person told them the pool was closed. This was about 10:30, no later. My son said she was rude about it. Why would we be told at check-in 11:00, and then suddenly it changed to 10:30 in a matter of hours?? The clerk apparently told my son rudely that it says 10:30 on a paper we were given at check-in. I didn't bother to read anything since we had stayed there before and were told at check-in about the breakfast, pool hours, etc..

Before all of this, I didn't like the room we had as soon as we checked in. The room in the brochure looks much newer and nicer, then the one we stayed in. I also wasn't pleased that the porch faced route 30. It is not pleasant to sit out there and have to hear the traffic. When I went down to inquire if we did indeed have a deluxe room I was told that we did. The man working said he would gladly give us a deluxe room in the other building since they are so hard to get rid of anyway. Great attitude!
The room in the other building I was shown looked exactly like the one we had. I assume the one in the picture is a one of a kind room that was rented. The beds and pillows in both rooms were like sleeping in cement. I have a bad back and the bed only made it worse. What makes these rooms deluxe? Just the porch??

Also after we got settled I attempted to take a shower. Before getting in I went to get a facecloth and towel only to find all that were placed folded on the rack, were soaking wet. I could not believe it. I had to get dressed and call the front desk. Some were brought up and given to me without an apology and the remainder that were supposed to be replaced never did show up. Apparently the maid actually folded wet towels and left them on the rack??

I really don't know if the restaurant is completely affiliated with the hotel or not. But if it is, we were told by our waitress at lunchtime to come back for "happy hour". We were told that from 9:30-11:30 food would be set out free of cost as well as drink specials. My ex-husband and I went over at 10:00 to order food to take back to the room for everyone. We went into the bar to order and have a drink and some food while waiting. When we asked the bartender what time the food would be put out she looked at us like we were crazy. When I told her the waitress had told us that "happy hour" was from 9:30-11:30 with food, etc., she said that was wrong. While perusing the menu I saw that this was also advertised in the menu. When it was brought to the bartender's attention she snatched up the menu and marched into the backroom. She came out and said if we wanted they could bring out some pizzas or stromboli. At that point I had just heard from my kids about the pool incident, and everything else that had happened since we checked in, had me very irritated. We just ordered the food to go and went back to the rooms.

I am hosting a conference here in Lancaster in October. My original plan was to book several rooms for the event but that won't be happening now. I am not one to complain but I felt you need to be aware of how we were treated and how uncomfortable we feel the rooms there are.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank lorriekelley
new york
Reviewed 26 May 2009

The former your place country inn has changed its name, but other then the pool, not much else. The building is noticeably old, the floor creaks as you walk through the hall. old wooden doors (good old keys, not cards, for doors, with the room numbers clearly printed on them; so much for security) no frills ceilings and worn, used furniture. But dont get your hopes down yet, to some this sounds cheap, however the hotel prides itself on being old world, in some ways, so long as there are no bugs, surprises, or lighting failure, this can be seen as cute. Much to my surprise, the walls, which give off the impression they are made of old wood, had no noise issues. Then again, I stayed on a sunday night [THANK YOU tripadvisor, had i not read this beforehand, i would not know about half off sunday nights, which I would say at 59$ makes this room a nice catch]
be warned, not every room has a deck with rocking chairs.
the parking was very nice, you swing around after check in and park in a middle courtyard area, i felt somewhat secure about leaving my car there overnight. There is also a second entrance there as well, by the pool, which was wonderful. The hot tub was a treat as well, it is not covered by a glass roof, so year round swimming is permitted; this is what they mean by a "indoor-outdoor" pool, as the front desk lady explained in great detail to every call she received, just imagine a pool inside a greenhouse, with a nice view of the amish countryside. Feel free to take a look from here, by the hot tub; this is what lancaster used to look like, a good 20 years ago, the last time I stayed in the hotel, when the pool was outdoors; what a difference 20 years can bring, this place is totally commercialised. This may have brought new value to this hotel however, its right smack in the middle of everything; the outlets right across the street, dutch wonderland down the road, and a bunch of amish villages and shoppes within a 3 mile radius. In comparison with other rates from other hotels, this place could be a steal, despite its old and worn kind of feeling, and yes, my room did have a slight "used stench", though I suppose for the record, its a good thing after a hour or so I got used to it, so it did not matter.
Value: location, continental breakfast served in the comfy attractive lobby (by far the nicest area of this hotel) OJ which was great and country corn flakes! fresh coffee and tea 24/7 also, however no computers or gym. They do offer high speed wireless however.
All this hotels shortcomings can be easily forgiven, as it is totally independantly owned, and has no connection or subsidary to any chain. You wont find any days in or best western logos lurking anywhere, only country trinkets giving a homey like feel. It is nice to know mom and pop are still alive and well, even if hanging on by a thread. Im not sure what connection still exists between the hotel and the restaurant across the way, however there is a perkins within walking distance if the menu for Your Place they stratigically place in your room doesnt tempt you with the slightly high prices.
After all, as the saying goes, "Try Your Place, if thats no good you can always go to intercourse" !!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo