“Just when I thought I've done it all in Lancaster”

Lancaster Marionette Theatre
Ranked #20 of 77 things to do in Lancaster
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Lancaster Marionette Theatre is one of the few marionette theatres in America, located in Historic Downtown Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Robert Brock, the founder and Artistic Director, keeps this unique art form alive and well. He creates all the marionettes used in HIW productions, writes the scripts and music and performs in his unique one-man style. His humor appeals to children, as well as grown-ups. The John Durang Puppet Museum is open before performances. John Durang was the first puppeteer to be born in the USA. He was born in Lancaster in 1768. Backstage tours are given prior to every performance.The Marionette Theatre welcomes field trip groups. We hope to see you soon at one of our exciting shows. Thanks for visiting!
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Decided to take my 4 yr old son to a show. It was great, something totally new. We got a 20 minute detailed behind the scenes tour of how all the marionettes are hand-made, the show was about 40 minutes, perfect length for kids. Great little historic theater.

3  Thank Rich D

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I recently took my grandchildren, ages 2 1/2 and 5, to see Peter Pan. The show - 35 min long - is just right for kids. Rob is a very, very talented artist and everyone will enjoy the performance. Nanny Lou does a great job instructing the children in theater etiquette. Be sure to visit the museum, take the brief tour backstage for a firsthand look at the art of marionettes, and enjoy the beauty of this historic house. I look forward to a return visit.

2  Thank ValueGal615
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Today was the first time my husband and I went to see the puppet presentation of "The Wizard of OZ". Rob Brock was masterful in his working of the marionettes. the length of the show was just right, 30 minutes. WE loved the Backstage tour and was fun browsing through the Puppet Museum. The children there were well behaved and quiet...meaning they loved it as well. I believe this should be included in some of Lancaster tour books. Will be back for other shows. Also the website provides a good glimpse of what this theater is all about.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We've been to two shows at Hole in the Wall and loved both of them. It's great for kids of all ages - even my 18 month old sat still on my lap for the whole show. It's just the right amount of time - not too short, not too long and the jokes even made the adults laugh.

2  Thank seebsea
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have know Rob, the owner and performer since we were kids and he's a funny talented guy. Gotta love it!

1  Thank ppollockaz