“Gibraltar is the finest restaurant in Lancaster County”
Review of Gibraltar Grille

Gibraltar Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Gibraltar Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 594 Restaurants in Lancaster
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Race Avenue
Description: For twenty years Gibraltar has delivered extraordinary dining and magnificent memories, offering the ideal setting for the perfect special occasion, or no occasion at all. Casually elegant, inspired, fresh and ever changing, we’ve refined the traditional Gibraltar style you’ve come to love, and invite you to experience the evolution. Gibraltar offers a stunning wine bar and lounge area, where good company abounds, and new friendships await. Enjoy 25 wines by the glass, a unique wine list, expertly crafted seasonal cocktails and a selection of fresh, local craft beers on tap to enhance our celebrated raw bar, bar menu or full dinner menu. Join us in our relaxing, contemporary new home, conveniently located in the Shoppes at Worthington, just off the Oregon Pike
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I was really surprised to read some of the negative comments about Gibraltar. We eat at Gibraltar fairly often and have never been disappointed. Their specialty is fish and the various fish dishes are always excellent - the branzino, the halibut, the salmon, the scallops - all are delicious. But they do just as well with beef - the filet is outstanding. The wait staff are attentive but not intrusive and the atmosphere is elegant without being fussy or formal. You can't find a better place outside of Philadelphia to celebrate a special occasion. The outdoor patio is a great place to enjoy an al fresco meal and they have a really nice tapas menu that you can enjoy outside or at the bar.

Reviewed 24 April 2011

What a disappointment. My wife and I had been told to expect a delicious meal for our anniversary. To prepare we had looked at the menu online. I saw two tasty sounding appetizers and three appealing entrees (Wild Mushroom Risotto, Duck Rillette & Foie Gras, Seared Diver Scallops & Short Ribs, Rack of Lamb, Pappardelle & Duck Confit). What a surprise when we open the menu at the restaurant only to find none of the dishes listed. An inquiry to our server was met with indifference. I ordered the Lobster Paella Risotto to start, followed by the Veal Chop. Guess what, my fourth entree choice, including the three not listed, was off the menu that night. Again, a good server would have told us about items not available. I ended up ordering the filet for my entree. The risotto was thin and watery, lacking any creaminess. In addition, it was under-seasoned resulting in a dish devoid flavor or character. I've eaten better food from a can. The filet was OK, but the accompanying mashed potatoes were lukewarm at best. I decided to skip dessert after these two regrettable plates and have some cognac instead. Once again the server returns to say they did not have my choice in stock. What an expensive and disillusioning meal. I would rather have eaten ten times at my favorite Chinese or Vietnamese take out places for the price of this single evening.

4  Thank cire59
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Just went here for our anniversary dinner, and I am feeling very disappointed. I was expecting much more based on the stellar reviews. Overall the prices were inflated ($25-35/entree) relative to the quality and taste of the food.

We ordered 2 appetizers, the duck spring rolls and the paella risotto. The spring rolls weren't bad actually, but the risotto ($13) was horrible. Severely lacking salt and overall flavor, this dish featured miniature bits of seafood in a sea of bland and mushy rice. My husband also ordered a single Peter Point oyster, which he said tasted fresh.

My husband ordered the crab-stuffed trout for his dinner entree, which I would give a 4/5 rating. The trout itself was served whole and deboned, and had great flavor. The crab stuffing, however, was a bit bland. How many times can I use the word "bland" in the same review? It was served with a side of roasted asparagus and potatoes which were tasty, and overall not a horrible dish.

I ordered the dinner special, which was a fillet of whitefish (not memorable enough to give you a more specific name) with a side of green beans and potatoes. At $29 I was severely disappointed. The fish had almost no flavor, and the green pea/lemon sauce they drizzled around it just wasn't enough to save the dish. The portions were also tiny compared to my husband's meal, which is awkward. Portion sizes should be consistently large or small, and not vary randomly by dish.

We skipped dessert after our overpriced, less than stellar dinner experience. Would not return under any circumstances, and definitely do not recommend. When we spend this much on a meal we expect to leave impressed and satisfied.

4  Thank docMAMA2012
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I wanted to like Gibraltar. There are few culinary destinations west of Philadelphia, save the occasional experiment that opens, flames, then flames out in something akin to guerrilla marketing. This upscale darling of Zagat's and locals features "the best seafood in Lancaster County." They left out the modifier "day-old." Let's face it: you cannot get and should not expect seafood to be shipped daily to a city hundreds of miles from where it's caught or a two hour drive from where it lands on a wharf. But then, the folks at Gibraltar should not charge prices ($10 for seafood soup; $25-32 for seafood entrees) suggesting they drove to Philadelphia to get the fish that morning.

The restaurant is nicely nestled in the midst of a student retail center across the Harrisburg Pike from Franklin and Marshal College. Parking can be a challenge in a suburban lot crowded with student vehicles and other space competitors. Once inside, you can choose from a friendly bar (if you don't mind the blaring Fox News Channel, but hey, all politics is local), or three orphaned sofas while you wait to be seated at your reserved table.

The place must be in demand, as we agreed to a 6:15PM reservation on a Saturday night. Fair enough. But when you seat our party of four at a table set for three in the open aisle next to the kitchen and the wait staff's counter, you're apparently sending a message: next time, don't bother. As our hostess grabbed a chair from the table adjacent seating an older couple, the woman exclaimed, "Hey, that's my purse!" Understandably, she had placed it on the seat next to her, now one of ours. Really, really must have been expecting us, no?

I will be the first to complain when wait staff is not attentive (if I don't touch an entree for 10 minutes and you stop by to ask if I "want that wrapped," there's a chance you're not paying attention. It's happened to me many times. Not here. Our waitress stopped by every 10 minutes or so to ask if everything was to our liking. That the sauces were flat or the shell fish tasted like yesterday's catch was simply not her fault. I polled the group as to the quality of scallops, shrimp, ribs, and sushi rolls. The response was a consistent "eh." Not bad, not great. But not worth it.

2  Thank jackfurlongesq_123
Reviewed 29 December 2010

The Gibraltar can be a bit difficult to find for the newcomer - no large sign to guide one to it. But it is well worth looking (and calling). My wife and I were well satisfied with the handsome decor of the restaurant and our meals -both steak and fish. The service ,while friendly, was somewhat disappointing in that finished dishes sat too long before being cleared. Overall though, a good choice for dinner.