“Best Chinese Place in Chinese Restaurant Wasteland”
Review of Cafe East

Cafe East
Ranked #253 of 593 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I find central Pennsylvania to be a wasteland of pretty lousy Chinese restaurants. Among them, Cafe East is the best. But you will pay for it. This is among the most expensive Chinese places in central PA. The food quality isn't really quite good enough to justify that. But you get a huge portion.

I wish they'd cut the portions back and offer some lower prices.

Egg rolls very unimpressive. Thick shells, not much filling. What there is of the filling does taste good. But I'd prefer thinner, crispier shells and more filling.

Kung pao chicken is my favorite. This place has OK stuff. Great sauce. But chicken is diced instead of thinly sliced. The chicken is disappointing, but the rest of the ingredients are great.

The Szechuan (hot and spicy) chicken dish is very good. Thinly sliced chicken with a great sauce. I had it with the fried rice. Needed a little soy sauce for flavoring, but a successful dish. Unfortunately, on top of their already too high prices, they charge an additional $2 for fried rice instead of steamed. Not many other Chinese places in this area do that. So Cafe East is playing a dangerous game of already being overpriced, and being cheapskates on top of that.

Wife had the orange chicken. The flavor was not what she hoped it would be. A bit weak on flavor. The chicken chunks were too big and thick, so the chicken was dried out. A disappointing dish.

Total bill for three egg rolls and three dinners was about $45. Too high. $35 would have been much more reasonable.

In Pittsburgh, where I'm from, we'd call this place slightly less than average, and with their prices, would never return. In central PA, this place is above average, even with the high prices, we feel trapped into returning, but will do so as infrequently as we can.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

It's hard to say what was best. The atmosphere, the service, the cleanliness or the amazingly good food. This is not buffet quality food. The Sushi is the best I have ever had in Lancaster
County. If you want a wonderful night out... this is the place. It's also BYOB.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

I loveeeee cafe east. My favorite resturant. The food is amazing. I been going there for about 10 yrs now, never once have i had a problem with them. they have an amazing. When i walk in i feel like a valued customer and that they actually care about you. As long as they are open for busniess they will be getting mine.

Reviewed 23 December 2012

We have often done take out from Cafe East. We have also eaten in a few times. The food is DELISH!!!!! The service, when eating in, is excellent. Admittedly, we do take out most often. We have never ever ever ever had a bad meal! The food is GREAT! The service is always great! I don't get why someone is complaining about the service...... they do most of their business from take out, so the restaurant is relatively empty, and the servers are therfore extremely attentive....... the food is always EXCELLENT ......... we LOVE the egg rolls.... I could make a meal just of them! We definitely recommend Cafe East!!! Ignore the nay-sayers!!!! :) Cafe East ROCKS!!

Reviewed 24 August 2012

It's always possible to catch a good spot, staff, crowd, on a bad night.
SO - As a rule I do not 'rate' on one visit.
I've eaten in and had the take out several times.
Best General Tso's Chicken, and Sushi I've had just about anywhere.
The atmosphere is wonderful as well.
If you haven't been here, you are missing a great meal.

1  Thank Celtic_C0wboy