“Do Not Stay - cars are constantly broken into.”

Courtyard Lancaster
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed 27 April 2010

The hotel rooms were clean. Staff was nice. However, DO NOT PARK in the hotel parking lot. They have constant break-in into the cars. During Easter 2010 weekend, TWO cars were broken into. One of them happened to be our minivan. The hotel management DID NOT even come out to help us. The hotel maintenance helped clean the broken glass from our minivan. Ipods, purses and cameras were stolen. Apparantely this happens ALL the time based on the East Lampeter police department. There are few if not NO warnings and NO cameras in the parking lot. If possible, DO NOT STAY at this location.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Kobe101
Chris1931, General Manager at Courtyard Lancaster, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2010

Located in a quiet, suburban setting, the safety and security of our guests at the Courtyard By Marriott is of the utmost importance. As such, our parking lot is well lit, and patrolled by hotel security.
In fact, this is the frist time and incident such as this has happened at our hotel.

As a Marriott Platinum Award winning hotel, for outstanding customer service, we pride ourselves on guest interaction and addressing their needs and concerns.
It is regreggable that this incident happened, however, as with most public parking lots, best practice dictates that no items, especially valuable items, be left visible in the vehicle.

We strive to ensure that both our hotel and parking areas are safe and secure. Any comments from police as to this happening "all the time" was no doubt referring to public parking in general, and not meant as a reference to this hotel.

Chris Schnee

Reviewed 6 April 2010

Convenient location; well-maintained property; very friendly staff; generous amenities; very clean, eye-pleasing, accessible, well-organized.

Our stay was mostly pleasant, but there were some issues--three minor and one major:

(1) No CNN in Exercise Room.
This major news outlet was working perfectly in the hotel lobby, in my guest room, and on the Dish Network News Monitor. But I could not tune the CNN channel (202) on the TV set. It would go into search mode looking for the satellite connection but the broadcast would never come on. I reported this on Thursday, and every day thereafter, and when I departed on Sunday the problem was still not addressed.

(2) ROOM NOT CLEANED PROPERLY
On Sunday morning, I wanted to make myself some coffee in my room. The pot was clean, but the filter basket containing the used coffee filter from the day before was still in the filter container. Also the chambermaid left two packets of DECAF and no regular.

(3) HOT TUB (WHIRLPOOL) was pretty lame. It was clean, well maintained. The water temperature was correct, but the jet pumps were running more like a water fountain than spa jets. I mentioned this to management, and they said that was the only speed.

(4) BIZARRE NOISES IN ROOM.
These noises occurred all night long. They were not all that regular in timing but were persistent. These sounds ranged from a loud cracking sound (such as two wooden boards being slapped together; thuds as if something were falling on a floor; falling stones or concrete, as if something was being pulled out of a drywall.
We could not make any sense of this, as our room was #501, on the top floor next to the staircase. No one occupied the room next door until Saturday night, but they made no additional noise. At one point my traveling partner was wakened up at about 5AM and was afraid that the building was falling apart, or that someone was prowling on the roof of the building (no one was).
I didn't sleep well the first two nights and although this didn't bother my companion then, it bothered him on the third night, and he was restless all night long.

So although this trip to Amish Country was pleasant and enjoyable, our sleep was not, and we got back home exhausted from lack of proper sleep.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank garrynyc
Reviewed 9 March 2010

The Good - Super clean room. Comfortable bed. Excellent Breakfast Buffet. Super Friendly Cooks/ Wait Staff - the guy who made our omlets was so nice! Lovely off the highway location (Amish Farms right around the corner). Fantastic Value for the money.

The Not-So Good - Front Desk was hit or miss, I called the hotel 2x before going to check on things and the people who answered the phone sounded bored and unenthusiastic. The woman who checked us in did not smile at all. The other 2 times I contacted the front desk, they were friendly, and the woman who checked us out was very sweet.
There was an incident during our stay where very loud young kids were playing with a Superball outside of our room while their parents ate & drank in the lobby (and when I say play, I mean flinging it against the glass exit door, room doors, and walls and laughing hysterically - trust me, it sounded like things were crashing in the hall). I left my room and while I was in the lobby, I observed 2 members of hotel staff that walked down the hall and obviously noticed them and did not say one word to them. I had to call the front desk later (yes this went on for over an hour) to tell them to send someone down the hall to get them to stop.
And lastly, the doors are very loud when you open/close them. This may not seem like a big deal at 9am, but when it's 2am and you're trying to sleep and people next door keep going in and out of their room - it is.
Overall, I would recommend this place and just bring a white noise machine or small fan to try and drown out neighbor noise next time.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank BVNJ
Reviewed 3 March 2010

This is a great, cozy hotel with a warm friendly staff. Its a great value. The room had loads of extras. Free coffee, tea, hot chocolate in the lobby. Rooms have microwaves and fridges! Free newspapers. Free parking. Free internet. Free computers in the lobby. Free shuttle. Free fitness club. Nice pool and hot tub.
Cozy fireplace in the lobby. Lots of space to relax in lobby with affordable bar.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LindaPHL
Reviewed 21 February 2010

My wife and I stayed for one night at this hotel to visit with a friend in the area, using a free night we received when we signed up for a Marriott credit card. We had read several good reviews about the place, and I must say we agree with those reviews! This is an excellent Courtyard...clean and comfortable. My wife is disabled and uses a wheelchair to get around, and our handicapped-accessible room had plenty of room for her, in particular the bathroom. The hotel offers a breakfast buffet for $9.95, but we did not have breakfast here. There is also a limited dinner menu, with sandwiches, salads and appetizers...offered until 10 PM on the night we stayed... and a small bar/lounge, which had a pretty decent selection of bottled craft and imported beers, including several excellent craft beers from a local Lancaster brewery.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BaltimoreTraveler91
Reviewed 1 January 2010

My family of five stayed here over Thanksgiving weekend. Rooms were sizeable (2 queens, 1 sofabed), comfortable and clean. Complimentary tea, coffee, hot cocoa in lobby-nice touch! Comfortable lounge and lobby area. We paid $149 and this included breakfast for all. Lots of choices - eggs, breakfast meats, breakfast potatoes in sternos, but also made-to-order eggs, make-your-own-waffles, etc. Breads, pastries, fruits, yogurts, you name it. Women working the buffet - helping you get a table, coffee, etc. were very friendly. It is located near Rt 30, in a business park. Location was super quiet. Super value for the money. Having said all that, I still prefer where we normally stay (Willow Valley) It may be far from Rt 30 and all the shopping, but Wilow is near the farms, the lovely earthy smells and countrified setting that I love about Lancaster. Just for comparison, Willow Valley was $209 per night and didn't include breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank steady
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Stayed here over the Thanksgiving weekend. Nice new hotel. Had a great suite room (Would recommend Room #102 - No rooms next door, right near the pool, right near the side exit and easy to park close, first floor and easy to get to the nice main lobby with fireplace, 3 computers free to use and breakfast buffet area in the morning). The suite was nice since the kids could have their own seperate room. Hotel was in a great location, easy to get onto Rt. 30 and all of the attractions in the Lancaster area. We have also stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn which is a nice hotel too and would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family