“An artistic flair to an otherwise boring business trip.”

Lancaster Arts Hotel
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
West Orange, New Jersey
“An artistic flair to an otherwise boring business trip.”
Reviewed 16 April 2011

I was really pleased with the Lancaster Arts Hotel. For business my king bed room had complimentary Wi-Fi, large desk, good lighting.

The TV was kind of unusually placed right over the desk, but didn't bother me. If the TV had a computer input, I would have gone nuts (happy).

Before heading in for the evening, enjoyed the bar. Enjoyed the signature whiskey sour.. old school with a raw egg. Excellent!

Recommended by a local.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank chris_oshiro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 April 2011

My husband and I LOVED this hotel more than anywhere we've ever stayed. The rooms are afforadble and so unique that you feel as if you walked into a furnished apartment. Everything was extremely clean and the Simmons Beauty Rest bed was so comfortable that I called the next day to see how much one like it costs! The added touches of unique bottles of water, bathrobes, a rose with 2 chocolates, a courtesy call, and a sketch pad with a pencil were much appreciated. We live locally, but it felt as if we were in an entirely different town. The Lancaster Arts Hotel made it feel like they were waiting just for us.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ramos814
Washougal, Washington
Reviewed 3 April 2011

We were visiting Franklin and Marshall College and this hotel was within walking distance of the campus and within walking distance of town. It was nice to get a F&M discount too. The artwork throughout this hotel gave it a cheerful and sophisticated feel and little touches like the sketch pads in the room, the "Artist at Work" door signs, and turn down service with a fresh rose elevated it from the usual chain hotels. The onsite restaurant was excellent and we also appreciated the several eateries just across the rear parking lot. Others were within a block or two, so plenty of choices although on a Sunday night many restaurants are closed. On a Saturday night the bar and restaurant are crowded and lively. The only negative really was not being able to get an internet connection from the room, but there are two computers in the business center which allowed us to communicate/work as needed. It was cold in the room the first night even though the thermostat was set higher than our habitual indoor temperature but the second night we bumped it up further and were comfortable. Our room was at the end of the hallway next to the housekeeping closet and only a few doors down from the laundry so it was a bit noisy in the morning when the maids were getting to work. However, the beds are very comfy and superior toiletries, thirsty towels and plush bathrobes make for a luxurious experience. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank txcrusr
DC
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I spent a weekend there to getaway and get some work done and it was the perfect space to relax and get some work done. I got the wine package and was very impressed with the cheese and fruit tray and the wine and gift bag.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel and if I'm back in the are I will stay again

1 Thank TravelingButterflyy
Mercer, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 March 2011

I always use trip advisor to search for a place to stay on my business trip. Sometimes I wonder if some of the reviews are a setup, because after making reservations, I sometimes wonder what others really experienced. I want everyone to make sure that this is a true and real review. I was looking for a hotel and the Lancaster Arts Hotel caught my eye and the reviews were great, so I emailed and asked for a room and rate and if they could work with me since I was there on business. I received an email back right away and worked with getting me a room. There was a convention in town and only had a suite left and had given it to me for the cost of a regular room. Darcy couldn't have been more helpful. The hotel is beautifully decorated and loved the local artists' work. The bathrooms are awesome and very clean. The favorite part was my bed.....it was the best. If I could take it home with me I would. The linens were fabulous.
There was a sketch pad in the room and only wish that I had more time to take advantage and put some of my thoughts on paper.
The breakfast was very nice in the morning with plenty to choose from. I also, enjoyed the parking garage. Only wish I could have stayed longer.
This hotel is the best and I travel one to two weeks out of the month and have stayed many places and I can truly tell you that this is one of the best places I have stayed. If I am back in the area again, I will surely stay at the Lancaster Arts Hotel and also am planning on a little get away to the area and will look forward to staying at the hotel for pleasure this time.

1 Thank travelcrazy1129
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Reserved "deluxe queen" for a weekend getaway. The photos of the exterior and lobby are spot-on. I expected to the room to match the picture on the website with brick walls, but my room was actually part of an addition to the hotel and situated above the parking garage. If you are expecting to stay in the original part of the hotel, be sure to ask before making a reservation. The room itself was large, new, and spotless. If I didn't have a different expectation I would have been very impressed with the room.

The hotel restaurant was hit or miss. The first night we arrived 15 minutes before closing and they provided delicious food, including a stuffed portobello mushroom. We went back the following night when we had more time because we were so impressed. The duck, prepared medium rare at the recommendation of the chef was so tough, it was practically unchewable. I'd still be be there right now attempting to eat it if I hadn't decided to stop eating half way through. Not sure if this was an exception to the norm, but I'd consider giving the restaurant another chance.

Complimentary breakfast was delicious, and we couldn't get enough of the breakfast burritos. Coffee was full-flavored and hot, and the other continental breakfast standards were right-on.

Room included free parking, free wifi internet, free computer access in the lobby.

Again, phenomenal appeal of this unique hotel. Just make sure you nail down exactly which room you're reserving, and be willing to roll the dice on the restaurant which lacks consistency. Compliments to our maids for doing an absolutely stellar job.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jumbos
TX, FL, NY
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Great room--had everything I needed and I am picky. Lovely brick walls, hardwood floors, exposed beams, french doors to the bathroom. Bathroom was large, products were good. Comfortable desk and chair for working. Flat screen TV. Full length mirror in the armoire. A rose at the end of every evening was a nice touch after long days in meetings. TRY the cheese at the no-charge breakfast buffet. It literally stopped me in my tracks--and I was stressed and rushing to a meeting. Did not go to the restaurant, but had dinner at the bar 2 nights in a row. Food was fantastic and the wine list was nice. Wish they had expanded room service--although forcing me to eat out wasn't a bad thing. They also could have had more wines by the glass. The business "center" was not the greatest, but the meeting room had art on the walls--that is a plus. :) I did not check out the on-site fitness room but the hotel offers complimentary access to the Y which is right across the street.

1 Thank HappilyTravelin