“Lancaster finally has a decent boutique hotel!”

Lancaster Arts Hotel
Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed 13 September 2009

As a native of Lancaster, I return frequently to visit family and always have to stay in either a B&B or chain hotel. Finally, Lancaster has started reclaiming their wealth of old buildings (after leveling dozens of historic buildings over the decades!) The hotel is casual and comfortable. The staff seems to be a bit preoccupied and only available to do the bare minimum. I provided a credit card when checking in, but told them I would be using a debit card upon checking out. They charged 2/3 of the bill halfway into our stay on the credit card, then they were too busy to correct their mistake upon check-out. They have a nice patio area, but it seems to only be accessible through the restaurant at night, so you are not welcome to have a drink out there in the evening. The breakfast is just so-so. They need to add more fresh fruit, plain yogurt, healthier bread selection and more cereals. The beds are comfortable and the bathroom good-sized. There isn't a small safe, so watching after your valuables is a bit of a worry. We would stay there again, but would hope to see the staff elevate their professionalism, and be more aware of their guests. Our total bill was over $1400 and no one ever acknowledged our stay in anyway. In fact, the day before we checked out, and I asked for a bottle of water at the front desk & they charged me $2, thenyelled across the lobby to ask me what my room number was in front of several strangers. Since I'd given them cash for the water, I thought it odd they needed my room number and would use such little discretion. You can walk to almost any downtown location from the hotel which is an added plus!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank OutNextWeek

Reviewed 3 September 2009

Our USA trip included Lancaster as a pit stop for a few nights and we spent ages choosing a hotel before the trip to give a us a treat, in luxury.
Our first impressions were good, the hotel is outstanding in terms of contemporary style, the renovations of the old building is fabulous and well worth seeing.
When we arrived there was also a baseball game going on over the road so we went to explore and this was an huge bonus as we'd never seen one before (I know it seems we might come from Mars but in the UK baseball is another world away)
Our first night trying to sleep was noisy becasue our room was on the 1st floor over the bar which played music till nearly midnight - ok if you want to disco but not if you want to sleep. We did ask to move rooms for the second night which was accomodated.
The second night our expectations were high in getting a good night's sleep....... we were woken by the spa bath above us going off at 12.30am which continued till 1am and then we can't really describe what we heard next but I know you can have a good guess at what that might be.........
Ok if you're having a romantic night and oblivious to everything else going on around you but not if you're with family and you happen to be in the vacinity of them.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Traveller4531
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I have stayed at several different place over the years in Lancaster and my favorite was the Best western Eden, However, I liked this place better. I was able to book an artist suite for $209. This suite is very large( much larger than the Eden Suite) with all the amenities and a fabulous Bath. The hotel has a nice bar and restaurant and we enjoyed cocktails on the outside terrace which is nicely done with plantings and waterfall. The hotels interior is very nicely done and the establishment is very clean. The free breakfast was very good and featured muffins,waffles,breakfast burritos,juices fruits,etc. The maid sevice was great and the staff was helpful and friendly. Downtown Lancaster is also very nice and worth seeing. I enjoyed this much more then staying on Rt 30 in the chains with the chain resturants.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Len K
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Actually, there are many other reasons to stay at this hotel, but this was my reason. It is a short walking distance to campus, and you and your high schooler can see the downtown next to campus. I don't think there is another hotel as close to campus.

It's worth staying here without a visit to F&M. It's a unique hotel, with fresh ambiance. Our suite was very comfortable with 2 flat panel tv's, great bath amenities, and bottled water. The artwork throughout the hotel was fun to look at, and I loved the chairs in the lobby.

The restaurant in the hotel looked great, and there are several other options nearby. We decided to eat at restaurant next to F&M.

I'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ihopeihelped
Reviewed 18 August 2009

The hotel is an experience! The rooms are absolutely wonderful, modern and spacious. The art is gorgeous. The restaurant and bar was great. The location is "different". You would never expect to find a hotel such as this to be located there.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Movee
Reviewed 31 July 2009

Planning an overnight get-away for my husband and me, I was looking for something quaint and romantic . . . not your standard mass-chain hotel/motel and something with a little more privacy than a bed-and-breakfast. The Lancaster Arts Hotel came up as I searched the web and appeared to fulfill the criteria perfectly! It lived up to all that it promised and more! Though there was a minor glitch with our check-in when the hotel had us reserved for a King room when we had booked an Artist's Suite, they immediately rectified the situation and offered us a beautiful suite with the most uniquely personable touches and accessories that we'd ever seen. They had even suggested that if the room was not to our liking, they had another one that they would be happy to let us have (though we loved it as soon as we walked in!)
The attendant at the "Inspiration Desk" (we loved the details such as these appropriate references) was very personable and spent some time with me recommending dinner options. Though I'd read some less than glowing reviews of the on-site restaurant, we decided to give it a try. In a word, AMAZING! I had chicken and my husband had crab cakes, both being the best we'd ever eaten hands-down! The service and attention at both the hotel and restaurant were exquisite to say the least! We enjoyed strolling the hallways and admiring the varied and impressive works of the local artists.
The hotel was conveniently located to the shopping outlets and Amish villages we wanted to visit and again, the staff happily discussed with us where to go and what to do.
The only negative we experienced was that you have to order from a neighboring restaurant for room-service and it took them an hour to send over two deserts. Not the fault of the hotel but on-site room-service would be a nice improvement. While we got a good rate on Expedia, the price of the hotel would definately limit any future stays to one-two nights. We would love to return though!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NJFabFour
Reviewed 18 July 2009

Lancaster Arts Hotel showcases artwork of regional artist in a one of a kind venue. The hotel itself is a work of art in an old tobacco warehouse. Attention to detail is given to all the surroundings and to the comfort of guests. Turn down service with a rose and delicious smelling bath products along with each room being unique are a few of the things that set this hotel above any chain room you could stay in. Proximity to downtown Lancaster and central PA attractions add to what is already the most charming hotel in the area.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple