“Love the location (within walking distance to Franklin and Marshall AND downtown) but a little expensive”

Lancaster Arts Hotel
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
nc
Reviewed 28 September 2009

This was my second stay at The Arts Hotel in Lancaster. It is a converted warehouse with original art throughout the hotel. I love the location! We have stayed in several hotels in Lancaster and like the location of this one the best. Our main reason for visiting the area is to visit our daughter who is at Franklin and Marshall. She can walk to the hotel between classes and we can all walk downtown to the shops, galleries and farmers' market. It is a nice stroll downtown through a park which is by the hotel. I also like being in a boutique hotel rather than just another chain. The rooms are varied but the last time we were there we got a great king suite with exposed brick, spacious bathroom and high ceilings.
On the downside, it is much more expensive than some of the other hotels in the area (there are a lot to choose from). The elevators are VERY slow so if you are always in a hurry and don't like to use the stairs, you may want to stay elsewhere. Also, I saw a member of the front desk staff walk outside the front door to smoke. They need to find a different smoking area for the staff. It takes away from the generally cool, first class ambience. Despite the negatives, it is still my first choice for Lancaster!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank buttercup16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 25 September 2009

The hotel is in a recycled 1800's tobacco warehouse. It is thoroughly modern with all of the amenities of a first class hotel. The ambiance the historic building combined with contemporary design of the rooms, bar, restaurant and lobby was a striking presentation. The service was outstanding and even included a fresh, long - stem rose and chocolate for the linen turn-down. If you are near this hotel, you must stay there!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Miner62
Maryland
Reviewed 18 September 2009

The Lancaster Arts Hotel was a unique, contemporary establish meant with history around every corner. Incredible artwork ranging from painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture and many other mediums were hanging on almost every wall. The renovation of this old factory building was beautifully done!

My husband and I were there for a convention in town and found the location to be far enough away to take a break from the commotion, yet close enough to walk to our events every day. When it was raining hard, the hotel provided a cab shuttle to the event and informed us that they pay for the first five miles. Five miles gets you anywhere in the city easily!

The rooms were very clean with a wonderful fresh, orange scent. Our only suggestion would be to add a few more hooks to the walls either in the bathroom or in the room itself as clothing storage was a little bit limited. Bathroom had a large, open shower and his and her sinks. The beds were very comfortable and turn down service provided us with the usual chocolates and also one long-stemmed rose each night. Nice touch! Two bottles of Saratoga water were also in the room (and replenished) free of charge.

The bar was unique and had great happy hour deals on favorite drinks for all. Breakfasts had a nice selection from egg burritos to waffles to yogurt to fresh fruit and an oatmeal bar with cereals.

All in all, I would definitely visit this hotel again and recommend it to all my friends and colleagues. This is one of the best hotels I've stayed in...thank you Lancaster Arts!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank slrphoto
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 September 2009

As a native of Lancaster, I return frequently to visit family and always have to stay in either a B&B or chain hotel. Finally, Lancaster has started reclaiming their wealth of old buildings (after leveling dozens of historic buildings over the decades!) The hotel is casual and comfortable. The staff seems to be a bit preoccupied and only available to do the bare minimum. I provided a credit card when checking in, but told them I would be using a debit card upon checking out. They charged 2/3 of the bill halfway into our stay on the credit card, then they were too busy to correct their mistake upon check-out. They have a nice patio area, but it seems to only be accessible through the restaurant at night, so you are not welcome to have a drink out there in the evening. The breakfast is just so-so. They need to add more fresh fruit, plain yogurt, healthier bread selection and more cereals. The beds are comfortable and the bathroom good-sized. There isn't a small safe, so watching after your valuables is a bit of a worry. We would stay there again, but would hope to see the staff elevate their professionalism, and be more aware of their guests. Our total bill was over $1400 and no one ever acknowledged our stay in anyway. In fact, the day before we checked out, and I asked for a bottle of water at the front desk & they charged me $2, thenyelled across the lobby to ask me what my room number was in front of several strangers. Since I'd given them cash for the water, I thought it odd they needed my room number and would use such little discretion. You can walk to almost any downtown location from the hotel which is an added plus!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank OutNextWeek
Colchester, Essex
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Our USA trip included Lancaster as a pit stop for a few nights and we spent ages choosing a hotel before the trip to give a us a treat, in luxury.
Our first impressions were good, the hotel is outstanding in terms of contemporary style, the renovations of the old building is fabulous and well worth seeing.
When we arrived there was also a baseball game going on over the road so we went to explore and this was an huge bonus as we'd never seen one before (I know it seems we might come from Mars but in the UK baseball is another world away)
Our first night trying to sleep was noisy becasue our room was on the 1st floor over the bar which played music till nearly midnight - ok if you want to disco but not if you want to sleep. We did ask to move rooms for the second night which was accomodated.
The second night our expectations were high in getting a good night's sleep....... we were woken by the spa bath above us going off at 12.30am which continued till 1am and then we can't really describe what we heard next but I know you can have a good guess at what that might be.........
Ok if you're having a romantic night and oblivious to everything else going on around you but not if you're with family and you happen to be in the vacinity of them.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Traveller4531
Bethpage NY
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I have stayed at several different place over the years in Lancaster and my favorite was the Best western Eden, However, I liked this place better. I was able to book an artist suite for $209. This suite is very large( much larger than the Eden Suite) with all the amenities and a fabulous Bath. The hotel has a nice bar and restaurant and we enjoyed cocktails on the outside terrace which is nicely done with plantings and waterfall. The hotels interior is very nicely done and the establishment is very clean. The free breakfast was very good and featured muffins,waffles,breakfast burritos,juices fruits,etc. The maid sevice was great and the staff was helpful and friendly. Downtown Lancaster is also very nice and worth seeing. I enjoyed this much more then staying on Rt 30 in the chains with the chain resturants.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Len K
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Actually, there are many other reasons to stay at this hotel, but this was my reason. It is a short walking distance to campus, and you and your high schooler can see the downtown next to campus. I don't think there is another hotel as close to campus.

It's worth staying here without a visit to F&M. It's a unique hotel, with fresh ambiance. Our suite was very comfortable with 2 flat panel tv's, great bath amenities, and bottled water. The artwork throughout the hotel was fun to look at, and I loved the chairs in the lobby.

The restaurant in the hotel looked great, and there are several other options nearby. We decided to eat at restaurant next to F&M.

I'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family