“Fantastic overnight escape - felt like borrowing a friend's Soho studio for the night.”

Lancaster Arts Hotel
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Dulles, Virginia
Reviewed 14 June 2010

Pros:
I'm from the DC area and wanted a room for an overnight getaway. We wanted something not too far away, special, private and perhaps even romantic, but most B&B and cabin type escapes require a two day stay, which we didn't have the time for. After I booked our room I kept figuring it HAD to be too good to be true... I made the reservation on line and the AAA rate was very reasonable, certainly in line with a medium end chain like a Marriott, Holiday Inn, Hilton, etc. It was not too good to be true, it was just perfect.

The space itself was everything I could have hoped for and more. Definately modern, but not sterile in the least. I felt like I was borrowing a friend's Soho studio for the night - minimalist and therefore spacious even though the square footage was small. Our queen room was just a bed, a desk, a wardrobe two end tables and the bathroom. The exposed brick outer walls were fun, as were the wood floors. We were right by the elevator which meant a little noise through the door, but it wasn't a problem. The bathroom did not have a tub, just a very nice shower stall, but this was clearly stated in the room description and not a surprise. For one night that was fine, but if I stay two nights I would probably upgrade to a studio style to have the tub and a sitting area. Silly thing, but the hand soap smelled divine.

The front desk staff was great. They were able to check us in about 45 minutes early. The young man who checked us in was very helpful at pointing us to a restaurant for lunch that a vegetarian and an omnivore could both enjoy. I happened to be feeling very poorly when we left and the same gentleman procured a cup of water for me and I was able to curl up on one of the out of the way lobby couches until I felt better.

The continental breakfast was ample and lovely. The noon check out versus the normal industry standard of 10 or 11 was absolutely wonderful. We were able to have a very leisurely morning.

Cons:
The room and restaurant staff were perhaps a little overly helpful, but it's hard to take issue with that. The turndown service would have been lovely to come back to, but since we were there we really just didn't want to be bothered, which really concerned the staff. :) I suggest putting out the "do not disturb" sign early if you don't want the turndown service.

I also don't think I'd do dinner in the hotel again unless I really objected to going out - every time we looked up the restaurant staff attending to us, and it was just a little much from me, I'd have preferred to be left alone. The food was a bit rich for a late dinner, even the small plates. However there are plenty of other places around, you're not trapped into the hotel dinner.

The wine cooler was a little silly for me. I'd have preferred a regular refrigerator of the same size (and based on how the wine cooler worked, you couldn't really just tuck leftovers into it).

Other:
We didn't utilize the bike or taxi service, but I think it's wonderful that they offer it! They also offered a non-vegetarian bagged lunch for a very reasonable fee (7 or 8 dollars as I recal). There were lots of places to sit in the lobby - both chairs and loveseat type couches. My only regret was that I wanted more of the public area to wander around in. If anyone happens to know Artisan Works in Rochester, NY, the Lancaster Arts Hotel feels very similar but on a much smaller scale. We didn't utilize the wifi or the other services. I do wish it had a pool, and the indoor complimentary parking was much appreciated!

I will definitely return, and I have a new favorite one day escape destination. I wish I had taken some pictures!

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank rdhdsnippet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Although the Lancaster Arts may try a little too hard with their theme , we did enjoy the art displayed throughout. The rooms are beautiful, some with exposed brick. Every amenity we could think of was available in our room. The staff were very helpful and thoughtful. The food in the restaurant was terrific. When we asked about the parking at the train station - we were on our way to Philadelphia, the manager offered to let us park on the second floor of their covered garage for the 3 nights we would be gone. They also pay taxi fare to within 5 miles of the hotel. Oh, they will also give you a pass to the Y across the st. & they have their own small fitness center. Breakfast is included in the rate.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Toto065
New Jersey
Reviewed 14 March 2010

We have been attending the same sporting event in Lancaster for three years now. The first year the rates were reasonable and the hotel was accommodating. Last year they raised the rates a bit but it was still OK. This year, however, they caught on, raised the rates sky high as if this were a holiday weekend, and refused to allow late checkout (5pm) even though the clerk admitted they were at only 50% occupancy for the next night. Some of our party had paid close to $300 or more per night for their rooms!

This hotel thinks it's more than it is. We have stayed here for the location, and the comfortable beds have been a bonus. In the past, staff has been responsive and pleasant. This year, even their uniforms are glum, matched by the looks on their faces.

The food is bad, and the walls are thin. The rooms are dark, although clean and comfortable. Additionally, the staff gets confused and makes mistakes with room reservations on a regular basis, and the rates on the internet may be different from those when you call. There is one armoire type piece of furniture which houses the coffee pot, three drawers, and a rod for clothes. The drawers are tiny and there really is not enough room to store all of your things. The double queen rooms are very cramped and crowded. You will pay dearly for space in this hotel.

Realistically, the hotel is overpriced for our needs. Pretentious is a good word for it, although it's interesting to look at. The view from our window was of a freight train parked behind a metal building. And the rate, lower than some in our party only because we booked before they realized this was the event weekend, was $199 per night for a very small room. Oh - and the internet is painfully slow, both in the lobby and in the rooms.

We won't be returning to the Lancaster Arts Hotel, and I don't think they care. The next person's money will satisfy their hunger for profits just as well, and our bank accounts will benefit from the comparative advantage offered by other area hotels, who are thrilled to offer group rates.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank viktoriag
San Rafael, CA
Reviewed 21 February 2010

This is my second disappointing trip to this wanna-be boutique hotel and it was even worse this time. The so called "inspiration spot" (aka the front desk) is manned by a series of unfriendly and sullen looking people. They are not properly staffed so if the one employee is on the phone (with their back turned to you) you will cool your heels waiting to check in. After checking in, I discovered I didn't have any bath towels. i called down and got an ANSWERING MACHINE! I was inspired all right, but not the way the hotel would have liked.

Each night they offer you a rose and cheap chocolates. The problem is is that there is no way to put that rose in water, so by the end of my three night stay, I had three dead flowers in my room - a metaphor for this hotel. The only nice touch is that they give you designer water bottles which you can store in the again pretentious wine refrigerator that comes in every room.

I was forced to eat at the jeffries hotel all three nights and to say the food was uneven would be kind. i always ordered two dishes because one would be inedible. The prices have come down from last year though, although not enough to even halfway fill this restaurant. Also, bizarrely, on some nights they asked for my telephone number as if I was going to abscond with their food.

For breakfast you have a sad selection of hardboiled eggs, cereals in boxes, cubed cheese, some sort of terrible looking burrito and fruit from a can. Hampton Inn which charges half the price has a better breakfast buffet. The hotel owners should take a field trip.

This hotel needs to reduce its prices and increase its basic amenities-- which include making sure their printer has enough ink to print out boarding passes

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank SharynW
Neptune City, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 December 2009

We got in around 5:00PM on Friday night and checked right in. There is a covered parking garage that is only 1 story. It is very helpful when there was a little snow. There were to women at the Inspirational Desk to help us. Upon arrival to our room we realized our Wine Fridge was not working but within in 2 seconds there was a knock at the door for turndown service. She tried to help us and could not and within minutes a new fridge had arrived at our door that worked.
Everyone was helpful in restaurant suggestions as we did have 3 small children with us. They also were able to answer any questions we had about the surroudning area. I was not aware at how large Lancaster was and the surrounding area to so the Inspirational Desk also helped with directions.
The rooms were of decent size. I did not see a bathtub in the two rooms that I was in so you may want to ask if you need to have a bathtub.
The continental breakfast was very good as well. There were bagels, yogurt, bread (assortment), waffels, breakfast burritos, cereals, fruit, hard boiled eggs, plenty of bevereages and juices.
We had a wonderful stay and received the friends and family discount so for the price if was quite comfortable.
The hotel did not have a fitness center but you were able to work out somewhere in the surrounding block for no additioanl fee. You should ask at the Inspirational Desk if you want this ammenity.
I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank coulass
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 2 December 2009

We really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is really unique and I like the modern feel in a old building. The contrast works well together and the rooms are very cozy. I really liked all the cool artwork which is for sale throughout the hotel. I also found that the travel size toiletries in the rooms were great, the scent was amazing. The hotel restaurant is also very nice and lots of organic food to chose from as well as nice wine list. Lancaster is cute town and we would stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank swiftlysaid38
Boston, MA
Reviewed 10 November 2009

We arrived very late and unfortunately our room, although very nicely appointed did not have any heat. It was a very cold weekend and since we were there for only one night did not call the front desk to complain. In the morning we said something and they said that they could have adjusted it from the front desk if they had known. We had a large suite and it had lots of interesting artwork and was nicely furnished. The only really odd thing was that the spa tub was in the master bedroom. The bathroom was large enough and the hot water came on very quickly which helped with the cold room. There is no room service but they did give us the name of some restaurants that delivered so we were able to get some food. We had brunch the next day at the Best Western and I think that is a better place to stay.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple