“Booked room not available, hotel dingy”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Pretoria, South Africa
“Booked room not available, hotel dingy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I booked and paid a room with a kingsize bed through hotels.com.

When i arrived about two hours later that room was sold and the land lady said she did not receive any confirmation from hotels.com and thay only had two king size bed rooms in any case.

I might lose the money I paid, or in the least go to a lot of effort to recoup.

Room Tip: No good room. Typical roadside motel. You get what you pay for, if it is available.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StevenVanZyl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stayed here recently for four nights and am pleased to write a good review. I found the owner and his family to be friendly and helpful, giving me directions to local eateries, etc. My room was clean and fresh-smelling, the bathroom facilities clean and adequate to my needs, the bed clean and comfortable. The price charged was very reasonable for a good, basic motel with free parking and convenient location. If I were to be in this area again, I would definitely stay here. Frank B.

Room Tip: Rooms in back quieter and face playing fields. No elevator for 2-storey motel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Frank B
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

I booked 4 rooms for the 4th of July weekend for myself and friends. The rooms were stinky and the windows had cracked glasses and the bathroom doors were not functional (I did take pictures of their stinky rooms with the problems) but we settled in the rooms as it was a long weekend and mostly all hotels were booked. One of the room has an old style unfinished Jacuzzi installed (again I do have pictures). The problem started when one of my son tried to use the Jacuzzi and the water got overflowed and spilled in the room. I tried to stop the water but with no avail. I called the front desk and a guy cam in and started saying "Oh Shi* Oh Shi*,What the ****, Oh Damn, What have you done.. Don't you know how to read.." in front of my kids. I was patience for sometime and said it was a mistake and sorry for that but he kept on saying that and after a while I lost it and started screaming on the guy who happened to be the owner of the hotel. I told him that he need to know how to talk to customers and I will pay the fine as there was sign that overflow Jacuzzi will cost $100 (which make me think this is not the first time it happened. The owner shouted at me that he own this billion dollar business and he doesn't care for $100 but at the end he did asked me for $100 and I gladly gave it to him. The guy was a jerk who had no idea how to talk to customers and how to talk in front of kids. I would never recommend any one using this place. People are better off staying in their cars instead of staying in this place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank SyedBoston
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

The owner is unpleasant and standoffish at his best. The towels are dingy, the sheets are worn, stained and had holes in them. You will be lulled to sleep by the sound of the trains all night long. On the plus side the internet is pretty good when it works. Avoid the #4 transmitter, #3 seemed to always work. Mostly. My favorite part of my stay was driving away.

It's not a good value but it's about as cheap as you can get in the area during tourist season. You'll be fine staying here but feel as dirty as the towels when you leave.

Room Tip: Choose the back side away from the road. Bring your own sheets and towels if dirty ones gross you ou...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank mrkickit
Howell, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

This motel was WAY overpriced and offered nothing in services. If there was another room avaiable in any other hotel in the area, I would have found another place to stay for the last 2 days of the conference we were attending. Not enough outlets to plug in frig and microwave at same time! Frig froze our milk. Obvious smoke smell in non-smoking room, which employee argued with me about. Ran out of toilet paper, did not get enough towels (2 for 3 people), neighborhood is sketchy, trains come thru across the street during the night. This is the first negative review I have ever written in my life.

Room Tip: I doubt any of the rooms are any better.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank nancy b
hiral p, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
We are sorry that your stay was less than perfect. We thought we were being fair when we did not charge you for the extra third person in your room. We also thought you'd be more comfortable in a room with two queens versus two doubles. When you said that you smelled smoke, after reassuring you this was a non-smoking room, I still moved you to another room. You stayed three nights. If you were really not content with the room, we would have moved you until you found one you liked. We are sorry that this is the first we heard about your complaints. We take our hospitality very seriously and are present on the property for any services you may need. We are sorry that the housekeepers did not leave a sufficient amount of towels for you, but we would have come to your room immediately upon request! We have spent alot of time and energy renovating our property and take pride in making your stay an enjoyable one. Please come back and try us again.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

Without authorization, this motel charged my credit card in error (likely on purpose). For over a week now I've been getting a runaround from the manager and clerks. Now I'm being told the manager is away on a family emergency and no one else can help me. This motel staff is not very professional. Besides working with Americas Best Value Inn's main customer service which isn't helping me much, I had to dispute the charge with my credit card company and file a complaint with the local Sheriffs Department.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank RailfanMotels
We apologize for the inconvenience of the mistaken credit card authorization. The General Manager had taken the reservation and then was called out due to an illness in the family. Apparently there was a lack of communication here in our office. Normally, we would have issued your refund had the other clerks known about it. Otherwise, it is common to go to the credit card company and dispute the charge. We are truly sorry for this mishap. We do hope you will give us another try since we have put so much energy into providing a comfortable, clean and quality property. We have been receiving alot of nice comments on our renovated rooms and hope you will be able to enjoy one soon!
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

This hotel was the last one left in town. My friends and I decided to visit Lancaster for the first time but we waited for the last minute and we got what we paid for. The bed was horrible and had bed bugs. never again. Horrible horrible and did I say horrible.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank jj m
We take bed bugs and any other pests VERY seriously and are proactive in preventing this exact issue. When you checked in and took your shower, you came to the front desk to say there were bugs. We immediately acted and wanted to come to see what it was you saw, so we knew what we were dealing with. You dropped the key on the counter and left. We were taken aback, because we have never had a pest problem and have taken great strides to keeping our property in good standing with both the public and our brand. We have put alot of time and money into updating and upgrading our property to make it a pleasurable experience for our guests while enjoying Lancaster and the surrounding area. We went to the room immediately and went through it thoroughly and no sign of bugs...anywhere. It's too bad you just left without us being able to go to the room and check it with you or, at the very least, offer you another room. Hotels are bring regulated more now than ever on the bed bug issue and strict controls are put into place to prevent any situations like this....ours included. We stand by our quality and standards and sorry that you were not satisfied.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Knights Inn Lancaster PA
Econo Lodge
#29 of 39 in Lancaster
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lancaster
Sleep Inn & Suites Lancaster County

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!