“Very good”

Ranked #154 of 587 Restaurants in Lancaster
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stopped by for lunch and got the two roll special for $9.50. Tasted very fresh and was very good. Would stop by again if in the area.

There are newer reviews for Oka Asian Fusion

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I and a good friend who is a sushi aficionado dined at Oka this evening. We had read a recent review in the local paper and were anxious to give Oka a try. We were very impressed and thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

The decor is pleasant in a modern sort of way and the surroundings were comfortable and welcoming. There is a fairly spacious outdoor seating area for dining al fresco when the weather is pleasant. The staff was attentive to a fault and solicitous of our every need.

The menu is extensive and very intriguing. Asian Fusion is a good way to characterize the menu, as it featured dishes from a broad spectrum of Oriental cuisine. We had trouble deciding what to order and I wished that I could have said "one of each" as it would have made the task of choosing much easier. We settled upon a couple of Maki rolls, sliced tuna with Jalapeno, a cucumber salad, a coconut shrimp soup, sea bass in the Asian style and a chicken dish with vegetables in black bean sauce. We shared our dishes and they were simply excellent -- subtle flavors, nicely spiced and beautifully presented. Each plate was a work of art. Our friend, who is knowledgeable about sushi commented that he was very favorably impressed because all of the ingredients in his Maki roll were absolutely fresh -- and he really knows what he is talking about. Oka is a very sophisticated restaurant and it is definitely not a typical Asian food take out joint.

The wine list is a short one, but there are some decent wines at very reasonable prices. Oka also features an offering of various types of saki. I know nothing about saki, but our waiter told us that it is essential to the enjoyment of sushi and the next time we dine at Oka I will give the saki a try. There is a full bar, which was very attractively situated, but we did not have a drink there.

Perhaps the most impressive thing about Oka was the very obvious pride of the staff in what they were doing and in the food that they were preparing. They were keen on sharing their culinary heritage with newcomers and were enthusiastic about being able to share their wonderful cuisine with their patrons. Our waiter even tried to talk us into trying the live sea urchin and the live scallop appetizers because he said they were so good -- I now regret it, but I declined -- but next time I will definitely give them a try.

We really enjoyed dining at Oka. It is the sort of restaurant that invites you to explore the full range of their menu and we look forward to returning. Give Oka a try -- you won't regret it!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

There aren't many sushi places in Lancaster, so when this one opened we had to try it. The sushi was good and you can't beat the price. The restaurant is attractive, has outdoor seating, and the waiter staff is attentive. Would definitely return.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We had dinner at Oka and thought the food was quite good and reasonably priced. We had the edamame and crab Rangoon and both were good. I had the pad Thai entree which was spicy and nicely flavorful. My daughter had the duck fried rice and said it was excellent. My husband had the General Tso chicken and said it was well cooked and not overly heavy on the breading but also not as spicy as he would prefer. They also had a nice and reasonably priced selection of wine by the glass. The service was also very attentive even though they were quite busy. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Oka Asian fusion is a new restaurant on College Row. My husband and I visited the restaurant when it first opened, where I ordered a couple different sushi platters (shitake mushroom roll and Spider roll) along with a cup of the Tom Yam Goong soup. My husband had gotten an item off the main menu (seafood war bar).Overall the sushi was mediocre. I expected the shitake mushroom roll to have that amazing shitake flavor, but unfortunately, it lacked any flavor. The spider roll was very good.
The soup was good, but it lacked a lot of the essential main ingredients (only had 2 shrimp!).
My husband's main dish was disappointing. It was way too salty, and I've had better from Chinese take-out for half the price.
Overall, I think Oka's menu is just way too big. Instead of focusing on creating a handful of very good dishes, Oka bit off more that they could chew by listing too many items on the menu that are mediocre. Oka would be a great stop if you wanted some signature sushi dishes but I wouldn't waste your money on the entrees.