“Spacious, clean rooms, unique location, reasonable price”

Spruce Lane Lodge & Cottages
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Spacious, clean rooms, unique location, reasonable price”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This is our second stay at the cottages and we will certainly return! I am quite surprised by a couple of the negative reviews and wonder if all the cottages are not in the same condition. Our room looked brand new and was perfectly clean. I peeked into the rooms next to ours and they looked to be in the same condition. The room and the bathroom are spacious. We loved the wood beams across the ceiling. We were able to comfortably sleep 5 in the room (we carry our own extra sleeping mat for the 5th person). We found the beds to be comfortable. I love the location with the airport in the back. Last time we did see some planes land. The only reason I did not give this hotel 5 stars was because of the landscaping. Last time we were there it was new and crisp. Now it's a bit overgrown. Some fresh mulch, weeding, trimming and fresh flowers in the boxes would make the place a gem. But we loved the interior of these cottages. They were very warm and homey and we look forward to returning. I suggest asking if some of the rooms have been more recently updated when you book your room.

Room Tip: I suggest asking if some of the rooms have been more recently updated when you book your room. Cott...
2 Thank greengirl11
Cheryl T, Manager at Spruce Lane Lodge & Cottages, responded to this review, 10 January 2017
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Greensburg
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed at the cottages on Aug. 23 and 24. Do you expect people to sleep on the hard disgusting mattresses? I am sure your family doesn't sleep on such inferior mattresses. We left with back aches. There are cob webs in a drawer where the blankets. are kept. In fact, there were many cob webs. Maybe the owners should look at their properties they have for rent. Guess the maids aren't doing there jobs. We stayed at the lodge many years ago. It was adiquate.The beds there were soft, but nothing like we had in the cottage. The cottages are cute on the outside, but needs LOTS of repairs. It is very noisy also.

Room Tip: Just pass up the motel.
4 Thank DianaGreensburg
We are now under new ownership and are making many improvements. We hope you will give us another try
greensburg, pa
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed here many years ago when they first opened the cottages and they were very nice. Since then the owners added more cottages. The check-in process was super easy and the owners are very friendly.

When we arrived at our assigned cottage, we noticed that the landscaping (grass cutting, flower boxes, etc) really need done and that the overall outside of the cottages needed some attention. We got inside and got ourselves unpacked and while putting away our clothes in the dresser I opened the bottom drawer and there were blankets in there and the sun was coming in the window and I saw cobwebs on the side of the blankets...ugh!! I also saw cobwebs on the corner of the dresser and on the legs of the table.

The toilet had rust stains on the rim of the bowl, so they must have hard water (isn't there something they could use to take it off the rim of the toilet bowl). They have an exhaust fan/light fixture in the bathroom that has no separate control for the fan, so if you are a light sleeper you will be woke up when someone goes to the bathroom at night by the whirl of the bathroom fan.

Their beds were absolutely horrible! One bed was so hard that it was impossible for me to get comfortable all night. My hips and lower back are still aching from my two nights on this bed. The other bed was the complete opposite from my experience this bed was way too soft and it literally sagged in the middle when my travelling companions lay down on it...they too didn't get a good nights sleep as they had a sore back from a too soft mattress. I understand that this isn't my home mattress, but if the property owners would check the condition of the bedding, they would see that the bedding should be replaced.

The property is centrally located and they do have a fridge and microwave and a table and two chairs which is very nice. There are plenty of windows and they have WI-FI.

We only stayed here because our regular motel we always stay at when we visit Lancaster County was booked and this was the only motel that had an availability and we most likely won't ever stay here again.

1 Thank gbgnative
Now under new ownership as of May 2016 - many improvements made and wonderful plans for more
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Return visit to Spruce Lane. Clean and comfortable. Some wear starting to show - cracked sink, etc. For the price and location you can't beat it, though. Very friendly when calling for a reservation and checking in.

Room Tip: No fitness center or swimming pool
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Raleigh
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Was in Lancaster for the wedding of my niece at the Rock Ford Plantation this past weekend. Spruce Lane Lodge and Cottages was the perfect location for everything that we wanted to do and see during our stay. We were in a cottage that had plenty of room for the three of us (me, my daughter and my granddaughter ). The cottage was neat, clean and very comfortable and we felt very safe and secure. The grounds are very pretty and well maintained, the staff was very nice and helpful. If I am ever back in the area this would be my #1 choice of places to stay.

Room Tip: Would spend a little more and get a cottage. They are so sweet and plenty of room.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We needed an overnight place. It was a bit challenging to find, but we used GPS and arrived safely. They left a key for our late arrival. The room was like a nice,not elaborate, very large hotel room. The bedding and everything was clean. The futon needed replacing or recovered. The mattress was a bit hard. The bathroom was clean and large. There is a nice porch and pretty area surrounding this place. Very little noise. The deli next door was great for breakfast. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Not sure but they all seemed nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Deborah B
Lakewood
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I have stayed here too many times to name, and have never been disappointed. In fact, they're beginning to feel like family. Whenever I go to the American Music Theatre or just shopping I stay there because it is convenient, clean, reasonable, and away from the awful traffic on Rt. 30. Luckily I've been to that area so much I know the back roads to I can take them to avoid all the hustle and bustle in the surrounding area. As everyone knows by now their prices are reasonable, the rooms are large, and most of all you have your own privacy which is important to me. I am 78 yrs. young with 10 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren, but I still get away just to see the beauty of the area where everyone is so darn nice.

Room Tip: Cottages on the far end are the newest with 2 beds.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Harvest Drive Family Inn
Harvest Drive Family Inn
#3 of 3 in Intercourse
Fulton Steamboat Inn
Fulton Steamboat Inn
#2 of 39 in Lancaster
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,859 reviews
Eden Resort and Suites, BW Premier Collection
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lancaster (Amish Country)
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Lancaster
Country Inn of Lancaster
Country Inn of Lancaster
#15 of 39 in Lancaster

Been to Spruce Lane Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!