“Outstanding Farm to Table in PA Dutch Country”
Review of John J. Jeffries

John J. Jeffries
Reserve with OpenTable
John J. Jeffries is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 612 Restaurants in Lancaster
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Mullberry St.
Description: During renovations, workers found in the floor beams a signed inspection stamp--November 5, 1890--with the name of tobacco inspector John J. Jeffries. We named the restaurant after him. We’ve designed our menu based on local, seasonal, sustainable and organic agriculture and delicious recipes. Please join us and taste the difference of local farm-to-table sustainable cuisine in one of Lancaster's best fine dining restaurants. As the Chefs and Owners of John J Jeffries, we believe you will find our passion for supporting local businesses and preserving the land we live on, to be contagiously obvious in how we run our restaurant. All of our meats are raised locally, confinement-free on fresh green grass pastures. No hormones, antibiotics, steroids or forced-fertilization occurs. Our produce is local organic or chemical free. We use local grass fed cream, butter and eggs. We also provide sustainable seafood and support sustainable fisheries.
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have eaten around the world in some of the finest restaurants, and each time I return to John J. Jeffries I still say it still rates as one of the best restaurants I have ever experienced. Located in the Lancaster Arts Hotel adjacent to Franklin and Marshall College, this restaurant serves on its menu what is in season sourcing its food from local (Central Pa) farmers - the freshness cannot be beaten. What better place than to have a fresh meal in a predominantly farm area? Chef Cavanaugh picks all of his sources based on its quality, organic and humane farming practices, let alone sustain the local farmers. His dishes pair flavors in a way that is not overdone or outrageously gourmet, but savory and respectful of each ingredient.In other words, while his creations are well above mainstream eating, his dishes are "grounded in the real world of eating" rather than so eclectic that you don't know what your getting when the plate is put before you. The menu is impressively varied catering to the most carnivorous eater and the vegetarian conscious. You know a restaurant is good when its guest are saying "yum" and rolling their eyes in delight. The highlights include the pork belly, chicken and lamb.
Service is very good (waiters may include students attending F & M majoring in pre-med, and the like). The bar is festive and the boutique hotel the restaurant is located in is a wonderful pick for a stay in the area.

1  Thank cyclechick62

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The service and quality of food in this restaurant are top notch! Atmosphere is wonderful and could easily be romantic for couples. (I was with my daughter) Everything is organic, which is a huge plus! But most important to me is the fact that almost the entire menu is gluten free. For a Celiac dining out can be a nightmare! I can't remember when I've had a better experience in a restaurant. The ONLY negative comment would be that my daughter got the scallops which is served on a bed of fresh salad greens, with tomatoes and a delicious dressing. At $32 for 4 scallops, I would think that they could at least serve a larger portion of salad. My dinner was quite filling and I was only able to eat less than half, which made me wonder why my daughter's was so skimpy. But she did say it was the best scallops she'd ever eaten. So other than her small portions, everything about it was perfect! I wouldn't suggest taking children to this restaurant, unless they are extremely well-behaved and quiet.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

A suggestion from a local made my day. I needed a place to have dinner with my college roommate and John Jeffries was just the place. All locally sourced food means the menu changes regularly and on any given night might need to be altered, but that is what makes it great. I had chicken which was great and my friend had pork. We had a bottle of wine and coffee and the bill was about $100 for two. Service was friendly and efficient. I would definitely go back.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Try every small plate, no matter how many times you have to come back! the JimBimBop is amazing and the Steak Tartare is the best I've had

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had a wonderful evening at John J. Jeffries. Our evening combined a great server (Nga), a fantastic dinner and dessert, a superb cocktail and a setting that was intimate; bravo! For those aren't quite sure of the menu, or worried about cost, a great way to try JJ Jeffries are the small plates selections. Pork Belly Love and Shanker are great! I was worried I would be underdressed but I was treated like royalty. The presentations of the dishes are amazing! Treat yourself to this jewel!