“Very nice place for a special meal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of John J. Jeffries

John J. Jeffries
Reserve with OpenTable
John J. Jeffries is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 567 Restaurants in Lancaster
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Mullberry St.
Description: During renovations, workers found in the floor beams a signed inspection stamp--November 5, 1890--with the name of tobacco inspector John J. Jeffries. We named the restaurant after him. We’ve designed our menu based on local, seasonal, sustainable and organic agriculture and delicious recipes. Please join us and taste the difference of local farm-to-table sustainable cuisine in one of Lancaster's best fine dining restaurants. As the Chefs and Owners of John J Jeffries, we believe you will find our passion for supporting local businesses and preserving the land we live on, to be contagiously obvious in how we run our restaurant. All of our meats are raised locally, confinement-free on fresh green grass pastures. No hormones, antibiotics, steroids or forced-fertilization occurs. Our produce is local organic or chemical free. We use local grass fed cream, butter and eggs. We also provide sustainable seafood and support sustainable fisheries.
Alexandria, Virginia
“Very nice place for a special meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We ate on the patio which is quiet and relaxing. We each had excellent meals that were nicely prepared and there were really good gluten free options.

I am dairy and gluten free and was able to enjoy an appetizer and nice meal. They didn't have any dessert options (sorbet which I don't like). That would be my only suggestion that they consider a truly gluten free cake and not count on rich dairy desserts as their gluten free option.
The service was excellent too. We really enjoyed the meal

Oxford, Pennsylvania
“Nice place to eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Great food, including vegetarian fare. I ordered the stuffed pepper entree. Surprised when only one pepper was on the plate and I was starving after dinner. I would also suggest adding more wines by the glass to the menu. My husband received the wrong appetizer and was told after the fact that they ran out of the dish. The waiter apologized and did not charge us for the wrong dish. The waiter was busy and did not visit the table often. Surprised at the missteps for such a fine restaurant on a Saturday night but we will be back for the fresh farm to table food.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“A Shabby Performance”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

When you ask for dish from the menu, you have a right to expect it to be delivered as advertised. Not so at dinner last evening. I ordered an appetizer described as 'Lancaster Fried Lancaster County New Potatoes and Pork Kracklin with Herb Aioli". Imagine my disappointment when a plate of fried potatoes arrived with a dish of a suspicious looking dip on the side. That's right. No pork anywhere. When asked, the server looked puzzled and said he would check with the kitchen. A few moments later the server reappeared. Laughing, he said (quote) "I didn't get the memo. We are out of pork crackling. But I can fry you up some pork belly". I asked why he thought it was OK to serve me a plate of potatoes as my appetizer. Rather than apologize, the server said: "As I told you, I didn't get the memo". I declined the pork belly as by this time, my fellow diners had all but finished their appetizers. Next up was my main course.
This was also a huge disappointment. The chicken was overdone and tasteless. The breading on the outside was cooked so hard, so when you cut it with a knife and fork it splintered into several pieces. My wife, who ordered the Jim Bim Bop was equally unimpressed with her meal. Looking at the other reviews here, I can only assume the John J Jeffries kitchen was having a bad night.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Unpretentious, it is truly about the food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

First time dining here. Excellent service all around and by far some of the best food around.

Ou waitress was very busy but always had time to talk, explain or educate us about the menu.

I had fried pastured chicken and loved every bite. My husband had skirt steak.... It was so flavorful and tender.

We look forward to returning.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Massachusetts
“Lancaster Arts Hotel restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

The food is local and homegrown and excellent! I had the shrimp risotto and loved every bite. My waitress Heather was so nice and recited the ever changing menu with passion. It is a little on the pricey side but well worth it.

Visited July 2014