“Wonderful hosts and beautiful home...”
Review of Walnut Lawn B&B

Walnut Lawn B&B
Ranked #7 of 22 Lancaster B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Our stay at Walnut Lawn was enchanting. Our room was immaculate and breakfast was mouth watering good. Our hosts and the other guests all had breakfast together at 0830. The conversation was engaging. All-in-all exactly what we look for in a B&B. Thanks Sarah and Tom.

Room Tip: We had the small Garden Room in the front of the house. It is located out over a parlor and furthest...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Tom and Sara are really accommodating and neat Innkeepers. Friendliness and attention to detail is what they work and succeed on. The parlor rooms are nice and there is no "house noise" from the Innkeepers at all. The only problem with the inside of the house is that when Sara gets to cooking breakfast, the wonderful smells waft up and wake you up. The breakfast is a feast even a President would enjoy.
The House is immaculate and the rooms are refreshingly clean and well sized. We stayed in the front room, the smallest, and had plenty of room to work with.
Oh, and don't forget the cookies in the hallway!
The breakfast rivals the best of the best anywhere.
The noise from Highway 741 is a little annoying since there is a school just up the side road so every school bus has to stop and then start as it turns. At night there is no speed limit so the trucks just roar by. Putting on a fan for noise or having a noise generator would help this.

Tom and Sara are willing to give directions and helpful hints to the Strasburg/Lancaster area. Ask them about where to eat or how to get to places and they will share more knowledge than you need. Sit with them for a while and discover their love for life and serving others. Ask Tom about his sailing adventures and be prepared to laugh!
This was a nice place to stay and visit.

Room Tip: Bring a noise generator or put the bath fan on to dampen the road noise. The porch is a nice place t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2013

The Walnut Lawn Bed and Breakfast is truly a home away from home. The inn keepers Tom and Sarah are there to greet you with a warm smile and beautiful rooms. Each morning enjoy a delicious breakfast before you go on your travels. Relax on the porch as you take in the fresh air. Situated 15 minutes from all main roads. Enjoy your stay!!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very unique. The beds are really comfortable and have very soft sheets!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Beautiful B&B located in the heart of Lancaster Pa., centrally located to all the attractions in Amish country. Greeted immediately upon arrival and made to feel welcomed and right @ home. Warm, friendly atmosphere, absolutely delicious breakfasts, beautiful grounds, delightful/clean accommodations including amenities. The owners, Tom and Sarah, went out of their way to make sure you had everything you needed and took the time to sit/talk/get to know their guests, introduce other guests, and share wonderful experiences. I would highly recommend This B&B to all who are visiting the Lancaster Pa. area and I'm quite sure you will have a delightful experience.

Room Tip: We loved the "Four Season's" room, especially the cistern which was convertedin to a f...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I travelled to the Lancaster area with my mom and sister and was immediatly struck by the beauty of this two story dutch colonial B & B. For me, a porch like that sells the place.

We were warmly greated in this beautifully decorated home by the hosts who readily showed us to our room and helped to orient us to the area.

We stayed in the lovely Quilt room which, size wise, easily accomodated the three of us and which had an in room 2 piece bathroom and had also exclusive use of a full bathroom with bath/shower right outside our room. The added bonus of the room, however, was a private balcony overlooking the lovely grounds. This we happily utilized in the late evening on a lovely summer night. The furniture and decor was very lovely and the bed boasted a beautiful locally made quilt.

Breakfast was a real treat. Sarah puts on quite a spread - a three course breakfast. Tom even joked with me after the second course that there was dessert and he wasn't kidding.

It was, however, 11:00 the previous night when I climbed into the single bed,(after my room mates had already been in bed) that my only real complaint was born. I quickly discovered that this single bed (which was a convertable sofa) definitely needed to be retired. The mattress offered no support at all and was extremely uncomfortable. After much tossing and turning and trying to get comfortable, I eventually crawled out of bed and used two of the lovely bathrobes, provided in the room, as a means to improving the sleeping conditions by stuffing them under the mattress. This improved the situation, but not by much.

In the morning, I made a point of privately sharing with both the hosts (separately) the difficulty I experienced with the bed and quite clearly stated that it was time to retire the convertable sofa and clearly indicated that I had not had a good nights sleep at all because of the mattress. One of them responded with..."We'll have to do something about that" and the other responded with surprise that I slept on that bed and indicated that they usually had children sleep on it. It was also then stated that we should have said something (remember it was 11:00 at night and my room mates were already in bed) as there was an additional room that could have been used and that was indicated on the website. Upon my return, I did try to find this on the website and had some difficulty doing so as it was not listed with the information about the rooms. It also had the price tag of an additional $50. The expectation would tend to be that if the room description said that it could "accomodate at third person at a nominal rate", you would expect it to do so comfortably and if the bed was only suitable for children, then state that). Unfortunately, the disappointing thing was that they took us to our room and that should have made it obvious that three adults were staying in this room and that one of us would be using the bed, so that would have been the time to offer up the spare room.

Having verbalized my concern about the bed and how it affected my sleep, I then left it with them to address the situation in some way. Unfortunately, when it came time to check out, there was no reference made to the uncomfortable bed situation and the bill was not adjusted in anyway to reflect the problem (knocking off the $15 for the third person in the room would have addressed the situation).

Now I have a real problem rating this B & B, because I actually really liked the place and the hosts. My room mates found their beds very comfortable and we all really enjoyed the balcony and the front porch.

Would I stay there again or would I recommend it to others.....I just find it hard to get past the fact that the problem was not rectified to any degree of satisfaction and that to me is the deciding factor. Things happen that can affect the experience, but how the business deals with the situation can impact whether or not I use or recommend their services again.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a room to accomodate 3 adults, only consider the Quilt Room if the mattress s...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank timeforfun48
urwelcome52970, Owner at Walnut Lawn B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

We want to thank “timeforfun48” for describing the positive aspects of our Bed and Breakfast. We do endeavor to make the stay of each and every one of our guests a pleasant and enjoyable experience. It is truly regrettable on our part for not being more attentive to your night’s sleep and your discomfort.
We will be making adjustments to our allowing three persons in our guest rooms and making immediate improvements to the comfort of the extra bed in our guest room.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed a first-time, all-too-brief stay @ WL in late July 2013. As other reviewers note, Tom/Sarah are a charming, informative pair, who deftly balance being available and responsive to each guest, w/o being intrusive. Once the room a/c cooled the environment upon arrival, our room (name escapes me @ the moment) was delightful. Although it was too July-hot to enjoy the private balcony in the afternoon, it was pure pleasure with morning coffee (available an hour before breakfast). The in-room half bath, along with the private full bath (claw-foot tub/shower!) right next door, perfectly met our needs. The entire home/property are impeccably maintained and there are two stand-out B&B features -- the delicious multi-course, something-for-every-preference, breakfast and the most luxurious bed linens ever (on a very comfortable bed). We need to persuade Sarah to make the bed linens available for take-home purchase, please, please. Visitors fortunate enough to experience WL will not be disappointed. Enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Sarah and Tom are such welcoming and thoughtful hosts. They went out of their way to make sure we had a pleasant stay. This included preparing directions for us and starting breakfast a little earlier.

The location was perfect for us, as it was out of the main town and looked out on to farm land. This made it very relaxing and peaceful.

The breakfast was fantastic!

The room was very clean and comfortable. The bedding was lovely and soft.

We would certainly be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple