“Shows improvement.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
Middletown, New York
“Shows improvement.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

The rooms have been improved since I stayed there I 2012. The pool area was immaculate and the indoor water park was well supervised and very clean. I think it's unreasonable to ask an adult to pay admission to the waterpark when I was only there to supervise my grandchild while she played in the waterpark. It should be noted when making a reservation that the waterpark is an additional cost per person, per day. The location of the hotel is ideal. It's very adequate for travelers who don't expect anything fancy.

4 Thank VSPM
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I am happy to hear that you chose to return to our hotel this year and have noticed the many improvements we have been busy doing this past year. We have more things planned for the future, so be sure to check them out when you return. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

I have gone to this place since 2008, when it was the howard johnson. Since becoming the budget inn the place has gone down hill. There were some improvements since last year but not enough. The breakfast was a joke. the muffin and coffee cups were smaller then mini. After getting in the indoor pool I ended up with strep and a bad bug. My daughter ended up with a bactierial infection all over her face and neck. The water park was full of slime and red paint chips. Outside there was orange slime fungi growing in the flower beds. In addition, everytime we stepped outside there was a homeless lady asking for stuff. We had to leave early due to sickness, and the trip cost me 3 days out of work because I was so sick and my daughter had the infection. I am sad that this place has gotten so bad. We will not go back.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your last stay with us. We certainly would have liked to have the chance to correct any items you had a concern with during your stay, rather than hearing about them after your check out. We strive very hard to make each guests stay as pleasant as possible. I'm sorry you felt we fell short this time, but I invite you to return to give us another chance. As you mentioned, we have been very busy this past year doing many improvements to the property. We still have more planned for the future. As a clarification, all pools are tested daily in accordance to pool standards and always meet those standards. We have had no other compliants about illness, so perhaps your illness was linked to food from a restaurant your family ate at. I look forward to having you stay with us again.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

It is just an average hotel room. Nothing fancy. But we did not need anything more than a place to sleep. The pool was freezing but the kids did not mind. We skipped the water park as it seemed small and a little expensive.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! We have been very busy this past year doing many improvements to the property. We still have more planned for the future. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

It is a nice family hotel esp. On a budget. Everything is accessible, the staff are friendly and the enviroment is safe.You can swim for free in the pool.They have one of the nicest indoor water parks ever. If you decide to visit u will definitely return. There are an abundance of shopping outlets within a 2 mile radius.They are right across from dutch wonderland and not to far from Hershey Park...The location is just where u wanna be. Come experience for youself while saving money to enjoy spend on your family because of the cheap rates...enjoy

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank bigredrobyn
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I'm also happy to hear that you and your family had a good time in the Caribbean Indoor Water Park. We have been very busy this past year doing many improvements to the property. We still have more planned for the future. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
Magnolia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed at the budget Host inn & Suites for two nights. First of all, we asked for a non smoking room and the room smelled like smoke. Second, no one would take anything to our room we had to walk and get it ourselves. Finally, we thought the watermark was included in our stay and it wasn't.

Room Tip: Don't book this place especially if you have kids.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your last stay with us. We certainly would have liked to have the chance to correct any items you had a concern with during your stay, rather than hearing about them after your check out. We strive very hard to make each guests stay as pleasant as possible. I'm sorry you felt we fell short this time, but I invite you to return to give us another chance. As a clarification, as stated on our website and print material, water park passes are only included when you book our water park package. I'm sorry you had a mis-understanding about that, however, I look forward to having you stay with us again.
New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

We (my husband, myself, and sons, ages 8 and 11) just stayed here for a weekend. Remember people, it's a BUDGET hotel.

PROS:
Clean room
Fridge
Felt safe
Quiet
Friendly, helpful staff
Reasonable rates
Free WiFi
Convenient to everything. Just about everything in Lancaster is within a 20 minute drive.
WATER PARK. My kids had such a blast. It's a good size park, with a wading pool, giant bucket, 2 slides (one was closed when we were there, and from what another person told me, it's been closed since December), a hot tub pool, vortex pool, and basketball hoops. The water is clean, however much of the paint is chipping off the concrete on the bottom and sides of the pool, and the grills are all rusted (I think it was rust anyway). But kids never are bothered with any of that. Also, from what I heard, you don't have to stay at the hotel to use the water park. You can pay just to go to the park.

CONS
No coffee maker or microwave in room
Pillows were lumpy and hard (true of most hotels though)
Bathrooms were pretty scabby. The sink and toilet were clean, but the tub and shower, although clean, had years worth of stains and rust, giving it a "two bit hotel" appearance. Disappointing, because if the bathroom was in better shape, I would have given it another star.
Breakfast. They had some pre-packaged muffins, coffee, and hot water, but no milk, just powered creamers. Dunkin donuts is within walking distance though.

We would definitely go back to the water park. However until this place gets a facelift, I think we'll be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank RickyBobby0205
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I'm also happy to hear that you and your family had a good time in the Caribbean Indoor Water Park. We have been very busy this past year doing many improvements to the property. We still have more planned for the future. Just as a clarification however, you do have to be a hotel guest and book our water park package in order to have access to the water park. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

This place was adequate and for the price, you can't expect more. The rooms were comfortable and small, but by the time we're back from the water park, we were so exhausted that we didn't mind the size. This hotel is clearly not new, but it's clean and I felt safe. I like the interior corridors. When it was a Howard Johnson's, there was a nice, hot breakfast, which isn't offered anymore, but there is a Duncan Donuts next door. The water park is super fun for younger kids. I also love the area. There is so much to do. Dutch Wonderland, Cherry Crest Adventure Farm, outlet shopping, balloon rides, buggy rides. If you are expecting luxury or a Great Wolf Lodge-sized water park, this isn't the place, but it's a fun, inexpensive place to create memories and eat donuts.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family