“WARNING! DO NOT STAY HERE!!”

Lancaster Amish Country Travelodge
Ranked #32 of 40 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I travel for business in Lancaster quite frequently and have stayed in just about every hotel/motel in the area. This was the dirtiest place with the rudest manager! Duct tape on my door and terrible mildew smell! AWFUL EXPERIENCE- STAY AWAY!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Indie A
MGPATEL, General Manager at Lancaster Amish Country Travelodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear guest,
You made a reservation through a third party website for the wrong date, and when you arrived at the hotel, you did not have a reservation but we accommodated you by giving you the last room available in the hotel. As soon as you checked in, you called the third party website to demand compensation, but never called the front desk. You waited 30 minutes past checkout time to come to the front desk to talk about your issues. Let’s examine your claims. There was duck tape on the box to hold its cover as a temporary measure, and we admit that it was not aesthetic. However there was no mildew odor in the room, and the room was clean when you checked in.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

After a long day of traveling, 90 degree heat and traffic jams, we were looking forward to a shower and a nice clean bed to crash for the night. Well, I was exhausted after hauling the suitcase up to the room. I just wanted to relax!! My hubby went to look for cold drinks and while he was out, I noticed that evidently the shower HAD NOT been cleaned as there were pubic hairs in plain site!! GROSS!! The stainless steel toilet paper holder was all rusted and flaking. Holes and dirt in corners. Overwhelming!! Well, I decided no shower for me!! We were headed home the next morning and my MS was flaring from the heat. I just needed to rest. I checked the bed I had for bugs and dirty sheets, it appeared to be ok so I crashed. My husband pointed out the big gap under the door to the outside, also a black hole in the corner of the ceiling (black mold or something??). Honestly, we should have left but I couldn't move. I fell asleep, the next morning I went to the office before we left. We were traveling with my brother and sister-in-law. They were already in the office and he had pictures of bugs that were in his room, They were given a non smoking room and reservations were for smoking, they moved them to a smoking room and the door to that room was wide open, A/C was not on (minor), there was an impression of someones butt where they sat on the bed, bugs, just overall disgusting!! He has pictures to prove it. We had to ask for $1.50 back for not using the safe as they charge you regardless at check in (minor) When we explained to the clerk she immediately assumed we just wanted a free room. She said the best she could offer was 15% off. "No manager was available." I told them the night before about our shower and the clerk had made a note because she already knew about that. All this being said, my husband told me on the way home that when he went to get into his bed ~ a yellow stain was on his sheet. Well, I just rcv'd a return call from the Mgr. He doesn't accept complaints well either. He made excuses for everything!!! Grrrrr. I guess I had better sign off before I say anymore!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Sharona114
Brigitte H, Front Office Manager at Lancaster Amish Country Travelodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear guest,
Normally, we would answer your allegations step by step, but in your case we will make an exception. You accepted 15% discount to compensate for your inconvenience at check out and you were satisfied. One day later you called the hotel to talk to the GM, and your list of complaints went from Hair in the tub to the Bates Motel list of horrible issues. If your claims had been legitimate, we would have gone out of our way to recitfy the situation, but threatening to use social media to pressure us into refunding the whole stay was not acceptable.

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

This place is not good. It is cheap in every way. Stayed several nights which was a mistake. The carpet was so dirty that I eventually put the bed spread in the floor for the children to play on. I figured out a way to use towel s to walk across the room in my socks without totally ruining them. I would have left but I was with other family and did not want to appear a prima donna.
The young man at the front desk was nice. The owner looks as if he might be trying
There was fairly new furniture in the room.. breakfast not worth going to get. You have to bring it back to room and there is really no where to sit.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank June G
Brigitte H, Front Office Manager at Lancaster Amish Country Travelodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear June,
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. During the six days you spent here, it seems that you met the owner, and I am surprised that you did not share your discomfort with him or with the front desk. We would have been more than happy to do whatever was necessay to make your stay a more comfortable one.
Once again we apologize for failing to provide you with a more enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Ben had at one time vowed never again to spend a night at a Travelodge property A night at a very comfortable property attended by truly hospitable folks in Pooler, Georgia changed that, perhaps forever. As a result, we decided to try a Travelodge in Lancaster, and a sound choice it turned out to be.

Our room was clean, spacious, and surprisingly quiet in view of the central downtown location. We slept blissfully and awoke hungry. For breakfast at this motel, guests are urged to take the tray from the room to the reception area and return with his or her breakfast selections. The buffet contained fruit, muffins, toaster waffles and a selection of cereal, along with milk, coffee, and apple or orange juice. The in-room microwave finished off a satisfying, uncrowded, unhurried breakfast so nicely that we simply repeated the same routine for all three of our mornings.

Now, I presume noone checks in to a Travelodge or, for that matter, any drive-by motel expecting to be swamped by a long line of stars, and that it would be foolish indeed to do so. Mrs Too and I vastly prefer to spend less on a hotel room and more on lunches, dinners, and attractions. We couldn’t begin to guess how much money that approach has saved us over our many years of traveling well over two hundred thousand miles by car. It tickles us when we inquire of a reception staffer where the best restaurants are in any town. More than once have we been cautioned that this place or that is on “the pricey side”. We then explain that that is why we are staying with them, and always evince a smile and knowing nod.

Brigitte at the desk and Mr. Patel, either the property manager, or perhaps the franchisee, could not have been more hospitable and accommodating. We have plans to visit Lancaster regularly, and will stay right here.

For some reason, guests are by default charged a fee of $1.50 per night for the in-room safe. However, signs at the desk and a note on the registration card all state that the charge will be reversed upon stating that it was not used. In our case, it was indeed dropped, no questions asked. It made me think of an old Navy saying "Think, dammit, there must be a harder way".

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ben_Theretoo406
Brigitte H, Front Office Manager at Lancaster Amish Country Travelodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

I would like to thank you for posting such a great review. Now it is my turn to compliment both of you. You have three great qualities, common sense, honesty and sense of humor. I wish more people were like you in the hospitality business and I do hope to see you in a near future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The price and location was the driving factor of our stay
Check-in and checkout was efficient and staff were friendly and helpful
The beds were comfortable, the room is relatively clean, the stainless steel in the bathroom was rusty and should have been replaced.
The free breakfast included in this stay had very limited options and is located in the front lobby. It is stuck in the corner becomes easily congestive when two people were trying to make coffee or prepare their breakfast at the same time. There is no sitting/table area in the lobby and we had to carry breakfast back to your room. With no table and chairs to sit at in our room made eating breakfast an undesirable experience.

Room Tip: Eat breakfast off site
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Brigitte H, Front Office Manager at Lancaster Amish Country Travelodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Anna,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and give us some positive and some negative feedbacks. As you mentioned in your review, the lobby is small and this is why we provide our guests with two trays in the room for their convenience. At check-in we explain to the guests that they have the option to take the food back to the room if they wish. Thanks again for reviewing the Travelodge In Lancaster.

Reviewed 23 May 2014