“Disappointed - would not stay here again”

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Langhorne
Franklin
“Disappointed - would not stay here again”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

A few employees were pleasant and the rest seemed completely disinterested in our concerns during our four day stay. We did not enjoy the breakfast as much as we have at other hotels. The room was very stuffy and musty but did eventually air out after we ran the air for quite some time. We booked our stay as part of a Sesame package. We were successful at taking the shuttle to the park each morning. For the return trip we had no problems the first day, in fact Darryl was very friendly. The second day we waited over 20 minutes and then finally got a ride back with a neighboring hotel, Courtyard Marriot. There are 4 hotels that shuttle to and from Sesame Place throughout the day. On that second day we saw every other hotel's shuttle come twice and our shuttle was still nowhere to be found. We mentioned it when we returned to the hotel and they didn't seem surprised or concerned at all. One of our room keys worked and the other one didn't. The front desk seemed annoyed while making us a room key that worked. Quite honestly they seemed annoyed every time we came to talk to them at all, especially Odell.

My biggest issue during our stay was the fact that the WiFi wasn't working the first day, then it worked for a little while the second day, then it was gone again by the third day. The front desk referenced "a storm" several times but we didn't see so much as a drop of rain during our 4 day stay and had trouble believing this was the cause after spending all day in a sunny, 80 degree, clear day at Sesame Place's waterpark. I suspect that WiFi goes down at this hotel frequently - the front desk staff certainly didn't seem surprised when reporting that it was down again and again.

We were here as part of a Sesame Place vacation package. It was very close to the park and we did appreciate the shuttle to the park so we could save on parking. That being said, if we were to return we would not choose this hotel again based on the staff and the unreliable WiFi connection. We were travelling with a small child, as I imagine many who visit Sesame Place do. The flexibility to use the WiFi to look into local attractions, check our email, Skype with grandparents about our visit, and for the toddler to watch the shows she is used to in the morning and before bed would have made our experience much more positive. The WiFi was an advertised ammenity that the hotel was not able to provide during our stay. If this feature is important to you, I would suggest you look elsewhere as there are many other hotels close to the park.

I spoke with the central customer service line for the Holiday Inn on 7/13 and 7/14 about our experience and have been assured that a manager from the property will be in touch with me to address our concerns. The central customer service line did listen to our concerns and respect our travel expectations so don't hesitate to use them as a resource during your stay if you decide to give this hotel a try.

Room Tip: As many of mentioned there is only one elevator and it isn't very fast so you will likely prefer...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jose D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
I would also like to apologize for the inconvenience. As a General Manager I strive my very best to make sure every guest is satisfied with our hotel. From comfort, value and service I try to impress guest like yourself. Plus get as much feedback as possible to make each stay even better. I thank you for your review and bring any issues you had encounter. I apologize once again for not exceeding your expectation. If there is anything I can do in the near future please feel free to reach out to me.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toronto
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We chose this hotel for its proximity to Sesame Place, price and the included hot breakfast. We found it very close to the highway, as well as plenty of shopping and restaurant choices.

CHECK-IN: We tried several times to check-in early after our long drive, but were unsuccessful. We went to Oxford Valley Mall and used the outdoor pool at the hotel to kill time. At 4 pm our room still wasn't ready, but Odell came to the rescue and hurried things along which was great because we were hot, sweaty or wet, and tired.

ROOM: We enjoyed our oversized room finding it very comfortable and adequate for our stay, although it only had two drawers for four people. So we gave the drawers to the kids, my husband and I lived out of suitcase and used the closet. The bathroom was clean with good quality towels and Bath & Body Works products. The only complaint we have is that cleaning staff would come right after breakfast to clean the room and never replenished the coffee and cups we used.

ELEVATOR: There is only one small elevator and since the cleaners use it as well, there was often a long wait or not enough room. We mostly used the stairs to and from our 3rd floor room which was fine for our 5 year old with my husband carrying the toddler.

BREAKFAST: We enjoyed the hot breakfast every morning. A good selection of eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, biscuits and gravy, cereal, pastries, breads, yogurt. It was very busy in the Great Room, but we didn't have any problems getting a table and the staff worked very hard to make sure food was replenished or the pancake machine was working again. We brought our own fruit, although the hotel provided apples and oranges.

MISC: I appreciated the wifi access, but wasn't told the code was on our room key card. The wifi had no memory, so if I stopped using my phone for 5 mins I would have to login again. There are no TV channels for preschoolers except whatever might be on PBS, so we made use of our portable DVD player during our stay. We ate at Old Country Buffet twice (good selection for everyone, although humid inside, kids eat for $1.99 on Thursdays), at the Oxford Valley Mall food court and ordered pizza and cheese steaks from Tony's King of Pizza. We bought fruit, veggies and other goods from McCaffreys Supermarket on Cabot Boulevard West.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay and thought it was fairly good value for the price.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jose D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
I am glad that overall you had a great stay, I do apologize for the small inconveniences you had encounter. I hope you will visit our hotel next time your in our area.
Broadway, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Relatively inexpensive, but I wouldn't stay again. The hotel was packed with families of small children. Had I realized that it was next to Sesame Place I would have chosen something else. Elevators are insufficient size & number for the amount of rooms. Musty smell. Almost, but not quite clean enough to put me at ease... No laundry in hotel. Huge Breakfast selection, but also very busy & crowded.

Room Tip: Get a lower floor & use the stairs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Jose D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear; persimmonkilgore,
I thank you for your review and your feedback. I do apologize for the inconvenience you had to encounter. As a business professional I can understand where you are coming from. The summer months are extremely busy time for all the hotels in the Langhorne area. People come from near and far to go to Sesame Place, but things fall back to normal after Labor Day. I am happy to hear that you liked our breakfast options. If your ever in the area please reach out to me. Once again I apologize for not exceeding your expectations.
Islip Terrace, New York
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

My family and I loved this hotel. The proximity to Sesame Place was perfect. Room was perfectly clean. When first get into any hotel room we inspect and this place passed with flying colors. The shuttle going there was great. The driver was an older gentleman who was very patient with our family and we appreciated it. Coming back we had to wait over half an hour for the shuttle. I called the hotel twice and they said it was on the way. The driver going back was also very polite. The room was very comfortable. We slept 9 hours! The breakfast we felt was just OK. We will recommend to our family and friends.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sushiguy79
Jose D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
I am glad you and your family enjoyed there stay at Holiday Inn Express Langhorne Pa. I do apologize for the wait on the shuttle. At times we can get pretty busy and the traffic doesn't help the situation. I hope you would come and visit us next time your in the area.
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We booked two rooms for our family and another family to visit Sesame Place. The other family arrived and got a room on the 4th floor and said that the elevator was out of service. We checked into the hotel and was assured that the elevator (Dover) was going to be fixed in short order. 5,000 point bonus was added to the Rewards Club for the inconvenience after saying that a pregnant woman walking up 4 flights (especially in the heat) is not right! They did not move us to a lower floor as they wanted us to be close to the other family. Parking was easy and was plentiful except for the people who like to park next to me when I park far away to avoid damage to my vehicle.
The King room was nice, had a unclean odor as you entered the room, but was dissipated once the AC was turned on for circulation of air. The room has archways verse the typical boxy entrance way and area above the bed. The shower was fine,the pressure and temperature was okay, nothing bad or great. The AC worked!! A built in microwave and mini fridge was a plus in the room.
We did not go to the fitness room or the pool as we had plenty of exercise and water activities at the park.
The business center is good, but only one computer with no real privacy if that is what one is looking for.
The breakfast was plentiful and better than what we have experienced in other Holiday Inn Expresses as the had multiple trays of eggs, bacon, sausage etc. Staff was always busy cleaning and refilling, but seemed overwhelmed when you observed them.
The shuttle to Sesame Place was easy and saved lots of money, time and frustrations. The shuttle services 3 hotels as they are all franchised by one entity. We only had one driver that was not customer friendly with me, but tried to win over another party in the van with area knowledge. He also had the dollar bills stacked in the cup holder and was the only one who demonstrated this trait.
There is a train that is in the area, but we only heard it once...if you play hard, you will sleep hard :)
We only noticed a stink bug in the drapes and a Cheerio under the bed. We received house keeping each day we wanted it and received a note on day one thanking us for a tip.
Check out was not an issue as a bill was under the door on the day of check out.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Jose D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
JoeS755,
I would also like to apologize for the inconvenience you had to encounter. As a General Manager I strive my very best to make sure every guest is satisfied with our hotel. From comfort, value and service I try to impress guest like yourself. Plus get as much feedback as possible to make each stay even better. I would like for you to get in contact with me to address some of your concerns. Please feel free to email am at your leisure at jose.delgado@interstatehotels.com
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Its located on the edge of the highway and a railway line, nothing to be afraid of, it will not matter once you are in your room. Small but clean hotel. Hassle free check-in and check-out. Small but neat and clean rooms. Good for stop-over.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
I thank you for your review and the positive feedback. I am glad that you had a hassle free check in process. Here at Holiday Inn Express Langhorne. Pa. We strive to deliver the BEST possible service that our guest come to expect from Holiday Inn Worldwide. We look forward to your visit in the near future.
New York
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here for the weekend to go to Sesame Place. It is right down the street and the free van is great. It runs every 30 mins to an hour. We never had to wait more then 10 mins for the van. The rooms are clean, they can use a remodel. Very outdated. The breakfast was ok. I would recommend this hotel if you are going to Sesame Place.

Crasie,
I would like to say thank you so much for writing a review about my Holiday Inn Express Langhorne. It is guest like your self that makes it a pleasure and our passion to deliver excellent service. One of which Holiday Inn are well known for. We look forward to your visit next time your in the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langhorne
Sheraton Bucks County Hotel
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Langhorne
Courtyard Philadelphia Langhorne
Red Roof Inn Philadelphia Oxford Valley
Residence Inn Philadelphia Langhorne
Hampton Inn & Suites Newtown

Been to Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne? Share your experiences!