“Good location and service; beds so-so”

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Langhorne
“Good location and service; beds so-so”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here with our kids 7 and 5. Great location to Sesame Place - literally 4 minutes if you hit the red light. Shuttle service was awesome. We never had to wait more than 15 minutes either way. One driver Anthony gave us restaurant locations and directions - very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was pretty nice. Had an automatic pancake maker that my kids thought was awesome. Had some breads and muffins to toast, yogurt, pasteries, cereals (hot and cold). They had some kind of eggs and breakfast meat daily which was key for us since my husband has Celiac's so basic continental bfast no good for him.

My only criticism is about the beds. Really not that comfortable. The kids were fine on the pullout (we got the king bed and sofa w/pullout layout). The room was nicely sized so we weren't on top of each other. If the mattress was a better quality or maybe newer, we would have been REALLY happy with our stay.

• Stayed August 2014
Jose D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear: JeanneBenny,
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Holiday Inn Express Langhorne, Pa. I do apologize that you were not able to be comfortable due to the mattress. I am pleased to inform you that our hotel will being going through a complete renovation at the end of the year. I will hope that next time you come to stay at our hotel, you will be well rested and most importantly comfortable. My staff and I try to exceed our guest expectations to make each stay even better! Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We hope to see you next time you are in our area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My family and I rented this hotel while spending 2 days at sesame place. First off, it's very close to the park. Next its super close to many restaurants and shopping malls. So if you need anything you will find it. The best part of the hotel was the customer service and the breakfast. As a family we each have different eating preferences and they were all met with the great breakfast. They had 4 types of bacon and sausages, turkey being the family favorite. Then the scrambled eggs were so good. (There were a lot more selections)But for the kiddos the pancake machine was exciting to watch and eat. Anytime food was running short there was always someone ready to refill.The manager was very courteous and friendly. The pool was clean and fun for the kids.
Ok now the rooms. The beds were comfortable and how much more kid friendly can you get that there were 2 televisions in both rooms. One for the adults and one for the kids. The fridge was a small one but big enough to keep juices and milk cold. It also had a microwave. The rooms were pretty standard in looks and decor. So if your traveling with family this place is great.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Jose D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear: Yolanda,
I thank you for letting everyone know how GREAT your stay was at Holiday Inn Express Langhorne Pa. I am very happy to hear that my staff and I were able to exceed your expectations. The best part that you and your family had a GREAT time at my hotel. We hope to see you around next time you are in the area. Once again Thank you for your review :)
Massapequa, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was really torn on putting 3 or 4 stars for this review. I settled on 3, but I think it is more of a 3.5.
So initially I booked with a "best rate guarantee" and prepaid back in May. Weather prevented us from traveling in May and they were VERY nice to let us move the date and not lose the money we paid. We ended up having to move the date one more time (again, the general manager was SO nice about this) and we finally went this past weekend in August. We called while driving around 10:30 am but they said they were sold out the night before and no rooms would be ready until 1 at the earliest, so no early check in. Not a big deal. We arrived to check in at 4 and they were prompt and had cookies at the check in desk (very tasty! and free!). We had room 409.. top floor, overlooking pool. They told me all the rooms were non smoking.. but there was a slight "odor" in the room. We don't think it was smoke, per say, maybe a cleaner or the air conditioner. Overall it wasn't enough to complain - and we were only there 1 night. There was also a red stain on the carpet by the coffee table. Not blood - that would have turned black. It was red so someone spilled something at some point. The tub liner was cracked and slightly dirty but those were our big "complaints." Oh - and my son was sleeping on the couch so we needed the spare sheets and blanket but they were dirty. I called down to the front desk and they brought me fresh stuff in like 5 minutes - so quick! and they were so nice about it.
Overall everything else was clean and neat and we were surprised to have a sizable mini fridge (with a freezer part so we could refreeze our ice pack) and a microwave.
I did not like that the window only had a sheer fabric blind and nothing heavier to block out light. there was an overhead light outside right outside our room so it was a little annoying to not have complete darkness. The mattress was so-so. I've had better at other hotels! They could probably update these.
Breakfast was GREAT. Fantastic selections. They had 3 milks (skim, 2%, whole). they had greek yogurt (chobani!). there were juices, coffees, teas. they had eggs and omelets. they had regular sausage AND turkey sausage! bagels, muffins, english muffins, cinnamon rolls, etc. Cold cereals, oatmeals and make you own pancakes. I was not disappointed. They also had apples and bananas. Great start to the morning.
All in all, everything was good and it was fine for the one night we needed. We had stayed in another hotel in the area last time we went to Sesame Place that we liked better but if we needed to, I wouldn't have an issue staying here again if prices work out better.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Jose D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear: Torn,
I thank you for this review and I must say it's guest like your self that make us work harder every time to exceed our guests expectations. I am sorry for the little things that went wrong but I am also HAPPY to hear that we did something's right :) This gives us room for improvement, I hope you would come and visit us real soon. Once again thank you for your honesty and your feedback!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed for four nights for a Sesame Place visit. The check in was a breeze, the gentleman was polite and helpful. All of the staff I came in contact with were friendly and helpful.
the hotel and pool were clean and well cared for. The breakfast was busy but there wasn't a time they weren't refilling things.
The shuttle was on time each morning and picked us up within 5 minutes of calling them.
A great stay, definitely will return next year!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jose D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
I thank you so much for your feedback, and letting people know about your great experience at Holiday Inn Express Langhorne Pa. We hope to see you again next time you are in our area.
Franklin
Reviewed 15 July 2014

A few employees were pleasant and the rest seemed completely disinterested in our concerns during our four day stay. We did not enjoy the breakfast as much as we have at other hotels. The room was very stuffy and musty but did eventually air out after we ran the air for quite some time. We booked our stay as part of a Sesame package. We were successful at taking the shuttle to the park each morning. For the return trip we had no problems the first day, in fact Darryl was very friendly. The second day we waited over 20 minutes and then finally got a ride back with a neighboring hotel, Courtyard Marriot. There are 4 hotels that shuttle to and from Sesame Place throughout the day. On that second day we saw every other hotel's shuttle come twice and our shuttle was still nowhere to be found. We mentioned it when we returned to the hotel and they didn't seem surprised or concerned at all. One of our room keys worked and the other one didn't. The front desk seemed annoyed while making us a room key that worked. Quite honestly they seemed annoyed every time we came to talk to them at all, especially Odell.

My biggest issue during our stay was the fact that the WiFi wasn't working the first day, then it worked for a little while the second day, then it was gone again by the third day. The front desk referenced "a storm" several times but we didn't see so much as a drop of rain during our 4 day stay and had trouble believing this was the cause after spending all day in a sunny, 80 degree, clear day at Sesame Place's waterpark. I suspect that WiFi goes down at this hotel frequently - the front desk staff certainly didn't seem surprised when reporting that it was down again and again.

We were here as part of a Sesame Place vacation package. It was very close to the park and we did appreciate the shuttle to the park so we could save on parking. That being said, if we were to return we would not choose this hotel again based on the staff and the unreliable WiFi connection. We were travelling with a small child, as I imagine many who visit Sesame Place do. The flexibility to use the WiFi to look into local attractions, check our email, Skype with grandparents about our visit, and for the toddler to watch the shows she is used to in the morning and before bed would have made our experience much more positive. The WiFi was an advertised ammenity that the hotel was not able to provide during our stay. If this feature is important to you, I would suggest you look elsewhere as there are many other hotels close to the park.

I spoke with the central customer service line for the Holiday Inn on 7/13 and 7/14 about our experience and have been assured that a manager from the property will be in touch with me to address our concerns. The central customer service line did listen to our concerns and respect our travel expectations so don't hesitate to use them as a resource during your stay if you decide to give this hotel a try.

Room Tip: As many of mentioned there is only one elevator and it isn't very fast so you will likely prefer...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jose D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
I would also like to apologize for the inconvenience. As a General Manager I strive my very best to make sure every guest is satisfied with our hotel. From comfort, value and service I try to impress guest like yourself. Plus get as much feedback as possible to make each stay even better. I thank you for your review and bring any issues you had encounter. I apologize once again for not exceeding your expectation. If there is anything I can do in the near future please feel free to reach out to me.

Travellers are raving about these Langhorne hotels

Toronto
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We chose this hotel for its proximity to Sesame Place, price and the included hot breakfast. We found it very close to the highway, as well as plenty of shopping and restaurant choices.

CHECK-IN: We tried several times to check-in early after our long drive, but were unsuccessful. We went to Oxford Valley Mall and used the outdoor pool at the hotel to kill time. At 4 pm our room still wasn't ready, but Odell came to the rescue and hurried things along which was great because we were hot, sweaty or wet, and tired.

ROOM: We enjoyed our oversized room finding it very comfortable and adequate for our stay, although it only had two drawers for four people. So we gave the drawers to the kids, my husband and I lived out of suitcase and used the closet. The bathroom was clean with good quality towels and Bath & Body Works products. The only complaint we have is that cleaning staff would come right after breakfast to clean the room and never replenished the coffee and cups we used.

ELEVATOR: There is only one small elevator and since the cleaners use it as well, there was often a long wait or not enough room. We mostly used the stairs to and from our 3rd floor room which was fine for our 5 year old with my husband carrying the toddler.

BREAKFAST: We enjoyed the hot breakfast every morning. A good selection of eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, biscuits and gravy, cereal, pastries, breads, yogurt. It was very busy in the Great Room, but we didn't have any problems getting a table and the staff worked very hard to make sure food was replenished or the pancake machine was working again. We brought our own fruit, although the hotel provided apples and oranges.

MISC: I appreciated the wifi access, but wasn't told the code was on our room key card. The wifi had no memory, so if I stopped using my phone for 5 mins I would have to login again. There are no TV channels for preschoolers except whatever might be on PBS, so we made use of our portable DVD player during our stay. We ate at Old Country Buffet twice (good selection for everyone, although humid inside, kids eat for $1.99 on Thursdays), at the Oxford Valley Mall food court and ordered pizza and cheese steaks from Tony's King of Pizza. We bought fruit, veggies and other goods from McCaffreys Supermarket on Cabot Boulevard West.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay and thought it was fairly good value for the price.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Jose D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
I am glad that overall you had a great stay, I do apologize for the small inconveniences you had encounter. I hope you will visit our hotel next time your in our area.
Broadway, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Relatively inexpensive, but I wouldn't stay again. The hotel was packed with families of small children. Had I realized that it was next to Sesame Place I would have chosen something else. Elevators are insufficient size & number for the amount of rooms. Musty smell. Almost, but not quite clean enough to put me at ease... No laundry in hotel. Huge Breakfast selection, but also very busy & crowded.

Room Tip: Get a lower floor & use the stairs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Jose D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear; persimmonkilgore,
I thank you for your review and your feedback. I do apologize for the inconvenience you had to encounter. As a business professional I can understand where you are coming from. The summer months are extremely busy time for all the hotels in the Langhorne area. People come from near and far to go to Sesame Place, but things fall back to normal after Labor Day. I am happy to hear that you liked our breakfast options. If your ever in the area please reach out to me. Once again I apologize for not exceeding your expectations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langhorne
Sheraton Bucks County Hotel
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Langhorne
Courtyard Philadelphia Langhorne
Red Roof Inn Philadelphia Oxford Valley
Residence Inn Philadelphia Langhorne
Hampton Inn & Suites Newtown

Been to Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne? Share your experiences!