“Horrendous service”

Courtyard Philadelphia Langhorne
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Langhorne
Reviewed 2 June 2011

We booked our trip for Sesame Place through their website and I requested a suite. Upon arrival we were given our room key to the third floor, and away we went. When we entered our room (which was beautifully remodeled) we noticed very quickly it was not a suite. As any parents know, our children go to bed much earlier than we do, and we had no place to put the pack and play but in the tiny area at the end of the bed where all of our luggage had to go. My husband, daughter, and I trekked back to the main desk where the blonde receptionist informed us that she could not upgrade us to a suite, not even for a fee. We asked to speak to a manager and we were told the assistant manager would be on the following day (Tuesday) at 2pm, and until then we would have to stay in the room assigned to us. I asked the AAA rates for the jr and king suite and we would pay the difference. She told us that AAA discounts were not available (I called my local AAA office today and was told that we could get a king suite for less than $180/night). On Tuesday we intentionally left the park around 2 so we could get back to the hotel and speak to the manager about changing our room to a suite. He was out on a bank run. We went down an hour later, and he was on a break, so we checked after dinner, and he was unavailable! COME ON! Where is the customer service? By this point it was late Tuesday, so we gave up. (By the way-we had to put the pack and play up against the sink outside the bathroom so she did not see the TV lights when we put her to bed at 7). I was extremely disspointed with the Courtyard. After paying more money than other hotels, I feel that I could have gotten better service at a different hotel. We have season passes, and I assure you we will be staying at the Sheraton next time we go down in a few weeks time.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank dream530
Management response:Responded 4 June 2011

Dear Dream530,

I am terribly sorry that you did not have an enjoyable experience at our hotel and that our staff was not able to rectify it while you were on property. We have only 5 suites on property and the reservation that was made through Sesame was for our deluxe room. I can understand your disappointment if you were expecting a suite and apologize that we were unable to offer one to you.

I spoke with my Assistant Manager and it seems to be a breakdown in communication. The message he received was a guest would like to speak with him and was told that you would be coming back to speak with him. in lobby. When you initially inquired at desk and spoke with someone the day before, we should have taken the information down and had Joe follow up with you as soon as he got in.

I promise you that we understand how frustrating this must have been. We strive to offer excellent service. You should have been contacted and we should have been able to offer different solutions for you and your family so that you could have enjoyed your stay.

I encourage you to contact me directly @ lori.simpson@hershahotels.com. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 30 May 2011

I really enjoyed our stay here. The shuttle service was really convenient. I liked the breakfast at the cafe and the fact that you could get a drink there too. Room was spacious and the pool was nice too.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 4 June 2011

Dear rodrig,

Thank you for your response. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and our amenities.

We look forward to seeing you again next time in Langhorne!

Reviewed 24 May 2011

Read the reviews on this site and was looking forward to a nice visit. Unfortunately not the case. Thankfully used points and did not pay the inconsistently high price for quality of the room/service. This property is rated as a category 4 in the Marriott hierarchy. Probably due to location of Sesame Place. I've stayed in full service Marriott's with the same category rating for example in Hong Kong and Cancun which were much better value and service oriented. Check in was blah. No warm greeting, no acknowledgement of Platinum Premier status, and not even complimentary bottle of water for loyalty to Marriott brand. (Any other Courtyard in which I have stayed has always given me welcome points and an amentiy). Clerk seemed kind of bothered. It was rather late at night and I did see her the next morning so maybe she was getting ready to closeout for a quick night's rest before her morning shift, but still could have been a little more welcoming. Room has been recently remodeled in the new Courtyard standard, LCD tv with many channels (however, first Marriott in US which did not have Disney channel, odd especially since many guests are going to Sesame Place and have little ones with them think that would have been thought of), basic amenities and refrigerator. Room was clean enough. Attention to detail lacking with regards to housekeeping. Even left tip for the housekeeper but small things lacking, i.e. not replacing glasses, only removing used ones, by the end of the trip no glasses left, not replacing plastic laundry bag, not leaving new bag for ice bucket, towels not replaced/replenished at the pool. Most disturbing was the security. Knock on door by someone delivering Chinese food. Had our room number on the order but not ours. He knocked on the room next door, not theirs either. I called front desk to report that I had a security concern with this. Only hotel I have ever stayed in where vendors were allowed to roam freely in the corridors. Normally, front desk announces them, or calls guest to meet in lobby. Safety wise this a big concern. An unsuspecting traveler could open their door to a complete stranger. Was told by front desk that they know him and it is alright. Still do not like this lack of security - they know me at my employer yet I must still display my id and undergo security checks. We were on the 4th floor. On our second night there was a large group of prom goers, rooms were chock full of these party goers. Room immediately next to ours must have been the main party room. Constant flow of traffic, doors opening and slamming shut throughout the night. Loud conversations/ singing/yelling/music all night long. Huge disturbance. Eventually, after several calls by many guests, front desk did call the police. This only quieted the group for a short while. By breakfast time it started all over again. Situation should have never have been allowed to get to this point More vigilance in the lobby area is needed. Bistro as in all newly remodeled Courtyards is disappointing. Breakfast is a total letdown. Some Courtyard Bistro's have retained a small breakfast buffet area with more choices, this one did not. Limited choices. Apparently this new concept is getting a lot of complaints at the corporate level so hopefully will change. Recommendation is to not eat here, subpar food, no substitutions and cannot accommodate any dietary issues and allergies. Many other nearby dining locations. Would have to think twice about staying here. Disturbing that in a family friendly area security would be so lax and such a concern.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 25 May 2011

Please accept my apologies for the service that you experienced over this past weekend. I wish that I had an opportunity to resolve this before you departed.
The safety and security of our guests is a top priority and I understand your concerns. All deliveries to our guestrooms should be announced, regardless of how many times the vendor visits our hotel.
We did have a wedding group on the 4th floor this past Saturday night and I deeply regret the disturbance a few individuals with this party created on that floor. It was an isolated event and realize how important a restful night's sleep is to our guests. This is the first time in over two years where we had to involve police and it so unfortunate that this was the night you experienced our hotel.
All Marriott Platinum members should receive a welcome gift from the market or bonus points. This should have been communicated at check-in and we allow our guests to choose the option that they prefer. Additionally, our platinum guests are also offered a complimentary bottle of water at chek-in. Our goal is a warm, friendly arrival experience and am sorry that we fell short of our standards.
I appreciate the feedback about attention to detail from housekeeping and we are using this example to work with our staff on retraining on these points for all of our guests staying multiple nights. All of those details you mentioned should have been taken care of when your room was serviced.
Our Bistro has numerous options for our guests but realize that we have many guests that enjoyed the breakfast buffet that we used to serve. All Courtyards are converting to this new concept and I will pass this feedback on to our Courtyard team.
I realize that there were numerous things that went wrong with your stay and am terribly sorry for your inconvenience and falling short of our high service expectations.
I will ask that you contact me directly so that our team might have a chance to redeem ourselves. I would like you to experience our hotel again and promise you that you will have a wonderful stay. I look forward to hearing from you!
Lori Simpson, Area General Manager lori.simpson@hershahotels.com

Our goal is a warm, friendly check-in,

Reviewed 16 April 2011

I stayed at as many courtyards as I can, I find this one very efficient.

I dont travel to philli often but when i did on this stay i got my usual up to standard great stay.

keep up the great work

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 20 April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We are excited that you had a great stay and are loyal to the Courtyard brand. We hope to see you the next time you are in the Philadelphia area!

Reviewed 28 March 2011

The Hotel was great as Marriott's are usually a few notches above other motels of same class. Room and common area were absolutely spotless clean. Everything in the room functioned well. Room appeared to have been updated not to long ago although the furniture had some wear it just was so clean it appeared to have been reciently papered/painted. Only down side was their new Biestro. Or restaurant. Or snack bar. What ever they call it, it's simply not worth the money. Unless your stuck there & can't get out forget it. We went there in the morning & the few people that were eating there were not very happy. Got our coats & went to IHOP down the road. I love being able to get up in the morning & have a good meal, clean up, use the computer,ect, then go on your way. Not at Marriott anymore. Their buffett USED to be great. Had no problem paying extra for it. Now I guess I'll have to look for more Embassy Suites motels. They still take of you.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 10 April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the positive comments regarding our new lobby design and cleanliness of our hotel. It is definitely something our team takes pride in.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with our breakfast offerings. This is the new Bistro concept being rolled out to the entire Courtyard brand. We believe it has a variety of offerings for everyone from items from the griddle to breakfast sandwiches, classic oatmeal and healthy start options. I realize it is not the buffet but encourage you to give it a try next time.

I hope that you will consider us for your next visit to the Langhorne area. Thank you!

Reviewed 15 November 2010

We recently spent two nights here and it was a pleasant experience. Our room was decent size and clean. This would be a GREAT place to stay if you had young kids and you were going to Sesame Place. It is right around the corner and there are plenty of family-friendly places to eat. The location is about a 25 minute drive to Philadelphia if traffic is flowing and about the same to Princeton. The King of Prussia Mall is not far either. We would come back here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank CCdreamer
Management response:Responded 17 November 2010

Dear CCdreamer,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay. We are glad that you had a great experience and hope that you will return soon. We also are within 30 minutes of Jackson Premium outlets in NJ for your next shopping adventure!

Reviewed 13 October 2010

Clean, modern hotel with everything you need. Close to everything in the area. I travel here 10 times a year and this is where I always stay. Thanks...

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langhorne
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Langhorne
Sheraton Bucks County Hotel
Residence Inn Philadelphia Langhorne
Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE - Langhorne
Radisson Hotel Philadelphia Northeast
Red Roof Inn Philadelphia Oxford Valley

Been to Courtyard Philadelphia Langhorne? Share your experiences!