“Brunch. Small selection but decent. Nice decor but smallish.”

Molly Maguire's Irish Restaurant & Pub
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Hatfield, Pennsylvania
“Brunch. Small selection but decent. Nice decor but smallish.”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I never been to a Molly Maguire's before. It is a small local chain 3 of them... They opened one in Lansdale and had a Living Social special for brunch... So I decided to try them.

If you live in or near the Lansdale area this is a nice spot right in the middle of down-town Lansdale. Not that there is much around it but still a nice centeral location and I live in Hatfield so very close.

The decor was nice and upscale although the entire place is on the smallish side much more narrow and long than wide.

If you look on their website they will list the items for brunch... I thought that was a general sampling of items with additional items to be changed depending on season etc. I was wrong. The listing on the website is pretty much all there was:

Small assortment of breads (the one roll I had was good), small assortment of pastries (Really bad and dry tasted like store bought 2 day old), mini bagels (again the kind you buy frozen), smoked salon (Nice but not sure why they roll it up and then do that very sloppily (Just put them on a plate), scramble eggs, omelets to order, eggs benedict, french toast, bacon / sausage, home fries, mashed potatoes, ham, prime rib, and brownies, oatmeal and chocolate cookies and apple crisp for desert.

Nothing was terrible although the pastry were below grocery store grade. Most of it was forgetable, but a few things rose to the level of good. Salmon wasn't bad but how you mess up smoked salmon I don't know. The prime rib was decent although (again I am repeating myself) I did need a steak knife to cut it. The flavor was there but it was a tad tough (in relative terms) for prime rib.

The service was pretty darn good I give it a B+.

The kicker was that without a special the brunch was 17 dollars an adult and like 2.50 or 2.95 for the kids. I sort of felt that the adult price was subsidizing the kids price and we were the only couple in the place with kids. Drinks were 2.50 for a coke but that is acceptable especially with refills.

Nothing but the price would have me avoid the place but nothing would bring be back for sure either. Decor was nice and location was nice with good service.

Price was on the pricey side (for me) for brunch with no drinks included. Kids price brought it all in-line if you have kids...

In the end, for me, it was a mixed bag... The brunch as it stands is purely forgettable for what I consider to be an above average price... As I probably said 3 times with two kids the price evens out to be decent at 10 dollars a person though.

The prime rib and the smoked salmon were good...everything else was C- to C...with nothing to really draw be back.

I forced to give my opinion I would say this is a solid C+ including price (with kids) and that if your in the area and you like prime rib and smoke salmon go for it.

• Visited July 2013

Lansdale, PA
“Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Went to Molly Maguire's for Sunday Brunch as a special treat on a family occasion. We arrive just after they opened so there was no problem getting a seat. Service was very good, the food was well prepared and better than most Brunch buffets. We each had a Mimosa from the $5 drink specials and they were well made and promptly delivered to the table. The cook behind the omelet station was friendly and attentive, he also doubled as the carver for the ham/prime rib station.

And yet, the overall impression was meh! We had more than enough to eat and everything was excellent but it just seemed, ordinary. When mac 'n cheese is your signature dish (never associated that with Irish cooking) it just doesn't rise above the other options for brunch in the Lansdale area. At $18 a person, I was expecting to be wowed but wound up thinking, where's the rest.

The place was not crowded, we never had to wait in line for anything, the staff spent most of the time standing around the bar shooting the breeze with each other. All that left me with the impression of a good meal looking for people to find it and being held back by the price. When another occasion comes up and we want a nice, quite place for a well made brunch, we will probably go back. But for the price, I doubt we'll be stopping in spur of the moment or just to have breakfast.

Visited June 2013
Philadelphia
“Great Food, Great Atmosphere!”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We were attending the Lansdale car show the other day and stopped in for lunch. We both ordered the burgers and they were very good. The atmosphere is wonderful, the music enlivening and the facility is immaculate. I will definitely return there for another meal.

• Visited June 2013
Virginia
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Nothing bad nothing real good. Had their special of the day... cheesesteak mac and cheese. Was bland, not enough steak and onion bits and frankly it just wasn't very cheesy at all. I rated the place average because I don't expect great food from pubs. They could've done better with the Guinness too...was a bit flat tasting like it was old. Meal and drink was way expensive for what I got too.

• Visited June 2013
Elkins, West Virginia
“Not very Irish, but very overpriced”
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

Basically, the title of my review says it all, been there a couple times,hoping for improvement I guess, but overall, not impressed.

• Visited March 2013