“Check this place out!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
“Check this place out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

This is a little sushi place right down the road from my house and has quickly become one of my favorites "am a big sushi person". The main chef from Bluefin in East Norriton broke off from that restaurant and started Umai, its got a similar feel to the old Bluefin before the moved into the bigger place. I like that all the chefs welcome you as you come in, they make you feel at home. The sushi is always very fresh and delicious. I like the Umai roll, that is one of my favorite special rolls. You can always ask the chef to make you something special as well. Give this place a shot, you wont regret it.

• Visited July 2013

“One of my favorites!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

My boyfriend and I stumbled upon this restaurant online last year when we thought the original place we wanted to go to had no power. It was during the crazy snow storm last October so it looked like many places had been closed. We noticed all the good reviews and are always up for trying new sushi places, so decided to give this a try.

When we walked in there, the chefs yelled a greeting to us and the place was covered in Halloween decorations - we didn't know what to expect. Only 2 tables were occupied yet they told us all the others were reserved and only one table was available by the door. Well we were hungry and already there so we didn't mind. We thought, there is no way all these people will make their reservation, even if the snow did die down. Little did we know, the restaurant was packed in 20 minutes and now we know why.

Ever since that night we've been coming to Umai regularly and this is definitely one of my all time favorite sushi places! The fish is always very very fresh and very tasty! There aren't a ton of special rolls on the menu so if thats what you're looking for, you're better off somewhere else. This is the place you go to when you want the freshest fish and nice sized portions. You're always greeted by the chefs when you walk in and they are great to chat with when you're sitting at the bar. Watching Chef Ray create these rolls is like watching an artist at work. He does everything so carefully and with such precision, its amazing to watch.

When it comes to specific menu items, I would recommend anything, especially the Tuna Pizza. We order that almost every single time. And if you don't know what you want, you can always ask for recommendations and have the chefs whip something up. We did that last time because we wanted to try something new, and were pleasantly surprised with everything we tried.

The staff is also always very friendly and pleasant. We always walk out of there with a great dining experience. If you plan on coming in on a Friday or Saturday night, I recommend reservations. Its a small place and it tends to get a bit packed. Also make sure to bring your favorite wine/sake/beer as this place is BYOB.

• Visited May 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“One of the best sushi places in Montgomeryville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

My family has been struggling to find a sushi place that fit our tastes. We only wanted fresh fish and authentic Japanese fish. We were ready to give up after turning down multiple Japanese restaurants until a friend introduce us to Umai! One of the things that really impressed my family was the Deer Park water they used to serve us beforehand. Most restaurants serve us tap water and my family has always had stomach aches as a result, so we were greatly pleased to see them care about such a small service. I always get the Chirashi when I go, which is basically a whole bowl of sushi rice with sashimi spread on top. A bit pricey, but as long as we eat fresh fish, we're happy to pay any price. I love their complimentary chocolate bananas and fruit juice at the end. The menu is difficult to read and I wish they put more effort in creating a bigger menu. It is difficult to find a spot during Friday nights and weekends because of the small place, but other than that, the place is great. The people working at the sushi bar always great and say goodbye when you enter and leave and even our waiter went around the table to shake hands and get to know everyone's names. Really warm place and awesome food.

• Visited January 2013
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Best Fresh Fresh Fresh Sushi!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

I've probably been here 50 times and eaten everything on the menu. This is the freshest sushi I've ever eaten and I eat sushi all the time and all over the world. Chef Fay will make you whatever you want and you will instantly be treated like family. I love to sit at the sushi bar and chat with them and share my wine with them while they make my meal. I have taken a ton of people who are sushi "experts" here and everyone agrees the price is right, the ambience is perfect and the sushi is the best and the freshest.

• Visited April 2013
New York, USA
“WOW! The best Japanese restaurant outside a major NE city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

Have eaten here 3 times over 2 years: two times dinner, yesterday lunch. From the greeting as you enter (as if you were some long-lost cousin) to the just-right perfect food with really fresh fish, to the complimentary kale and apple juice (mmmm). EVERYTHING I've eaten here was the right quality, freshness, consistency and taste. Someone in the kitchen and at the sushi bar really cares. I stay at the Homewood Suites across the road, and this is THE place to eat.

I have not been to a better place for sushi anywhere in the US. Only in Tokyo can you find better. And a lot in Tokyo would be worse! Can't im,agine anyone being unhappy with the food.

• Visited February 2013