“Unexpected Great Find!”

Berry Patch Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Lebanon B&B and Inns
“Unexpected Great Find!”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Background: My friends and I had spent the day at Mt. Gretna Lake and were headed to another Inn where we had both verbal and written confirmed reservations we had just made the end of July (Cornwall Inn). Upon arrival found not only no rooms ready for us but the Cornwall Inn was packed up getting ready for a content auction. Inn keeper was flustered and unable to clearly explain why she even took the reservation and why we weren't contacted. Frustrated we got back in the car and my friend found Berry Patch B & B online. From the minute we called the Berry Patch all we met were very welcoming and accommodating: Owners Bunny and Charles and Inn Keeper Tina. We found the Inn very clean comfortable and the setting tranquil. There were about four other groups at breakfast, at least one we could tell was a repeat. For breakfast they served strawberry shaped watermelon, croissant and a delicious type of egg bake. We would go back.

Room Tip: Note: there was NO POOL but I was not able to unclick all the circles in Trip Advisor and did not w...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lebanon, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I know that it's been a few weeks since we stayed at the Berry Patch but now that I have caught up I just wanted to let everyone know that the entire time we stayed there Bunny and Charlie treated us as one of the family. Never have we felt so cared for and special. The room, impeccable! The service, top notch. Breakfast, out of this world! We would recommend the Berry Patch to everyone. It's imposable to believe that anyone would say anything negative about this wonderful Bed and Breakfast. We have told all of our friends to go there. Again we give it 5 Stars.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed at the Berrypatch for one night this summer. I booked the reservation via the b&b website. Before our arrival I called the bed-and-breakfast three times to let them know we would be arriving early Since we were driving from out of state. The one time the owner, Bunny, picked up she was extremely curt and rude on the phone. She told me that she noted my early arrival and that I should just come to the bed-and-breakfast when I come into town. We arrived at the place around 1 PM. No one answered the door when we knocked so we waited. We had no where else to go since this place is in the middle of nowhere. Our friends arrived, another couple, and 10 minutes later she finally opened the door. She opened the door and acted so surprised to see us there. She was so rude and it was definitely apparent that she did not want us to be there. She would not let us check in util 4 PM even though she stated that coming early was okay. She had no interest in finding out our reservation and also she would not let us use the restroom or offer any hospitality as you would think a bed-and-breakfast owner would. I have never felt so uncomfortable in my life. I also have never written a a bad review about a place but I feel like I had to in this situation.
The owner bunny was rude and told us to come back when check in time is at 4 PM. She would not let us use the restroom. she would not give us a tour but she still wanted our credit card information for the money we owed. When you walk into the place there is no check-in desk or area. When you pull up into the area there are animals all over the property like donkeys, roosters, cats and dogs.
When we came back at 4 PM to check in bunny did not offer any hospitality as expected. She seemed very annoyed that we were there. She gave us a very brief, unenthusiastic tour of her property. She only showed us the dining room. She had microwave popcorn and chitos/doritos for snacks and no bottled water. There was too bottles of opened wine in a refrigerator that she said we were welcome to use.
There were dogs in the house and luckily none of us were allergic, but it would've been nice to know that they would be inside. She was extremely nosy and wanted all of our business laid out for her. She asked:
- our age
- our plans specifically
- what time we would leave and come back
- told us to not be noisy when we return. Mind you we are all professional adults and were super courteous to her.
- she Encouraged us to leave right after we checked in. It's like she forgot that we were there at 1 PM and had time to eat and explore the area. It seemed like She did not want us around!

She never made us feel welcome. She made it seem like she was very busy even though we were her only guests at that time. She never told us how we could reach her if we had any issues or if we needed anything like at a real bed-and-breakfast. She pretty much walked us us to our rooms and expected us to stay in them until we had left for our evening. I could've paid the same price to stay at a commercial hotel with no questions asked, room service and actual front desk hospitality. She never showed us around the property and Did not welcome us to any other parts of her home except our rooms. We really wanted to find a different place to stay after we met her in the afternoon but she made it very clear that there would be no refunds.
If you're allergic at all to animals or dust or ragweed or pollen I would not stay here because it is basically like staying on a farm. She treated us like children even though we paid premium dollar to stay less than a day at her place.
Breakfast was a complete joke in the morning. You had no choice on what you wanted to eat. She set the table for you and your party and served everyone the same thing. Two poached eggs with really greasy bacon and melted generic cheddar cheese on top. It was absolutely awful. There are no basic items like muffins or cereal or a choice of another breakfast item. We felt very monitored and under constant rules and supervision.
I'm writing this because I would have loved to read a review like this before I wasted my money on this place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Traveler008ilw
Hauppauge, New York, United States
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My wife and I had a rare occasion where all of our 5 kids were away with family and allowed just the two of us to go away on a romantic get a way! We found Berry Patch B & B online and chose it because of location. We were looking for a B & B near Gettysburg, Amish Town & Hershey. We couldn't have been happier with our choice to stay at Berry Patch! Bunny & Charles were great hosts along with Inn Keepers Tina & Barbara. We stayed in our own cottage on the property which was cozy and comfortable! Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: We stayed in the cottage which is separate from main home (just steps from main home). The cottage...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Lorain, Ohio
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed here or the first time and will go back again. An excellent place to unwind and enjoy. They served good breakfasts and were very friendly. They are close to Hershey Pa., and mentioned some very good restaurants to go to. A very quiet place to spend time at.

Room Tip: We stayed in their Carriage House.
1 Thank Dan C
Cheektowaga, New York, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Great stay away from home. Welcoming owners and breakfast was delicious. Has a very homey feel and close to Hershey, PA which is why we were in the area. Found hotels with the same price but this had breakfast included along with a feel like you were at home. Will definitely stay here again if we are in the area!

Gainesville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We booked a 2-night stay for my daughter and her bestfriend on what was to be my daughter's first road trip ever as a newly graduated high school senior. The owner, Bunny, assured us that she would look after the girls like they were your own granddaughters when they got there. She even called me to ask how the girls were doing on their trip and when they thought they would get there. Unfortunately they were involved in a car accident very close to the Bed and Breakfast, but the State Trooper graciously gave them a ride there, since her car was not driveable. Since it was late, the owner, Bunny, kindly took them to get something to eat when they arrived, since they had no way to get around . Their room was very nice and I was told the breakfasts were very tasty. The property has a myriad of rescue animals that live there, including horses, donkeys, goats, cats and dogs. My daughter had a wonderful time being around them. My husband went up to get the girls to bring them home and he was so impressed by the place and owners that we will be returning there later in the month ourselves.

A Grateful Mother
Heidi
Northern VA

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lebanon
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lebanon
Comfort Inn Lebanon Valley/Ft. Indiantown Gap
Days Inn Lebanon/Fort Indiantown Gap
Hampton Inn Manheim
Hampton Inn Manheim
#3 of 7 in Manheim
Fairfield Inn & Suites - Lebanon Valley
Rodeway Inn & Suites Myerstown - Lebanon

Been to Berry Patch Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!