“OK hotel, not a great value”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lehighton
Philadelphia, PA
“OK hotel, not a great value”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I'm not sure how familiar most readers are with this mid-sized chain (owned by the large Carlson Hospitality Group), but the concept is pretty good. I guess it's supposed to remind you of a "country inn," at least as best as a chain motel can do so.

They do an OK job at this location, but there are definitely a few problems. First, the hotel is just a bit tired; it needs a refreshment. Like the sofa in our room was so worn out that it was uncomfortable to sit on. The beds also seemed old and not very comfortable. And the hotel is noisier than most; on the second floor, I could hear lots of pool noise from below (most of which I could eliminate by keeping the bathroom door closed).

Speaking of the pool, I'd describe it as "mediocre" at best. Small and pretty uninviting, but then most indoor motel pools tend to be of that size and caliber.

One recent guest called the breakfast "excellent," but I find that description surprising. This chain claims they serve better breakfasts than other motels in their mid-priced category, but we did not find that to be true. Once you got past the waffle maker (which still seems to be a thrill for infrequent motel guests), the breakfast choices were pretty poor. Terrible French toast, awful hash of some sort, sausage links, and the typical assortment of boring and/or low quality dairy and bread products. Certainly a breakfast you eat because it's included in your room rate, not because it is any good. Hopefully, if you stay here, the hot food selection will be better on your day.

Best thing about the hotel is the generally friendly staff and the free cookie jar at reception.

While I'd probably rate this hotel 3 1/2 stars if I could, I'm giving it 3 instead of 4 stars because I think it's a bit pricey for what it is.
At over $100, it's not very good value. From what I saw from the road, the nearby Hampton Inn looked significantly nicer.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Jennifer L, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review our property. Your feedback is indeed of great importance to us. We are committed to delivering the the highest level of service to our guests, your feedback will help us correct and improve our services to better achieve our primary goal. We sincerely appreciate your time and effort to write us a very insightful review.Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We sincerely hope that we may be given a chance to change your perception of our hotel in the future.
We hope you will choose our Hotel again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Paramus
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I needed help to charge my car and the owners wife was at the front desk and refused to help me she was screaming and yelling a total stranger a guest at the hotel used her car to recharge my battery I had a long cable I told her I only need a vehicle to charge the battery she ignored me didn't even come to the front desk was inside the other room when I ring the bell for attention my curse is on her and her family what an evil women !!! I was alone with 2 kids

• Stayed February 2014
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. To discuss your concern further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.
Edgewater Park, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I took my 13yo and his best friend for a long weekend to Blue mountain. I chose Country Inn because of the free breakfast and pool. The boys LOVED the hotel. Breakfast is great, pool and hot tub excellent. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The housekeeping staff deserve a special shout out for being very friendly and helpful! The boys snowboarded all day then went to the hot tub and pool at night! They loved the cookie jar that sits on the front desk all day filled with cookies.
Honestly they make the hotel as welcoming as they can! Will ALWAYS stay there when we are in the area!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mcmullin D
Thank you for sharing the details about your recent visit. It's so lovely to hear that the two boys enjoyed the pool and the hot tub. We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience following your most recent visit with us. We know you have a choice when you travel and appreciate you choosing our hotel.
Your comments will be shared with our staff, thank you.
It was a pleasure to serve you, we hope to see you soon!
NJ
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Hotel looks nice and is modern, free bfast was just ok. We stayed for just one night over President's weekend and I have been away many times before on holiday weekends to many different hotels and this hotel was by far was the noisiest hotel ever, doors slamming constantly, the room above us had kids jumping all night long above my head that we had to complain to the front desk and while I was in bed I could actually hear someone in the next room urinating in the bathroom and flushing the toliet! The walls must be paper thin, I don't really feel like hearing someone go to the bathroom, needless to say it was a terrible nights sleep. Next time I think that I will try a different hotel in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Jennifer L, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review our property. Thank you for bringing to our attention your experience and comments regarding your stay in our hotel. Rest assured the comments you made will be addressed in order for us to improve our services, we hope you give us a chance to serve you again.
We sincerely hope that we may be given a chance to change your perception of our hotel in the future. We hope you will choose our Hotel again. Your feedback helps to to improve our quality of service, thank you!
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

This is the choice of stay every December when I bring my family up to Jim Thorpe around Christmas time. It's a tradition now as my kids say. The last three years this place is going down hill. 3 yrs. problems with pool, you'd think the room to eat your breakfast in would be a larger ratio to accommodate the maximum capacity the place can hold. I have to wait to eat. We can't start the day because I can't get my food. I'm sorry but I need my breakfast. I think it's time for the Hampton inn down the road!

Stayed December 2013
Jennifer L, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I am sorry that you do not feel our hotel met your expectations. As a return guest you are aware that our breakfast room was quite smaller and we did expand to try to aleviate the congestion. And this years pool issue was totally out of our control and was closed for your safety. We had another guest get sick in it and it needed to be closed to take care of that. Again, I am sincerely sorry that you were inconvenienced.
We hope that you chose Country Inn again should your travels bring you back to Lehighton, PA
NYC
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This hotel is clean. The staff have been very friendly and accommodating each time I've stayed. The pool is clean. The breakfast has anything you could really need and its all included. The price is very reasonable. I've stayed on the first floor each time and the rooms were clean,no odors,good heat. Its very close to Jim Thorpe so if your planning on staying over, I highly recommend staying at this Country Inn and Suite. btw I want to thank the staff and commend your policy for lost and found. My wife had left a phone charger on a visit and they had it filed with a number of who stayed in the room and when and retrieved the charger within minutes.

Room Tip: Try for the first floor. Third floor is smoking rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have stayed here numerous times, including two nights ago. It is incredibly convenient - located exactly at the Turnpike Exit. I have always requested a non-smoking room and have always been assigned one. The rooms have always been clean and comfortable - basic, but certainly more than adequate. There's a refrigerator in each room - even the standard rooms - great for keeping car-ride snacks cold overnight. Indoor pool looks inviting - I have not had the pleasure just yet. Coffee/Tea, fresh fruit, and candy are available in the lobby 24/7. The included Breakfast is buffet-style - pastries, bagels, cold cereal, hot cereal, make-your-own waffles, yogurt, juices - enough to call it an actual breakfast! The staff has always been friendly and helpful. As a "home-base" for a family vacation, It's close enough to Jim Thorpe, to beautiful Beltzville State Park, to the nearby drive-in movie theaters, and so much more. It's not a luxury resort with acres of property and golf and beaches, etc., etc...but that's not important. It has everything I need, in great condition, in a comfortable setting - It's the only place I stay when I'm in the area. If you're on the fence, for whatever reason, it's worth giving it a try.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lehighton
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
Inn at Jim Thorpe
Comfort Inn-Pocono Mountain
Comfort Inn-Pocono Mountain
#2 of 6 in White Haven
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe? Share your experiences!