“A perfectly hospitable, clean, and inexpensive little motel”
Review of Mahoning Inn

Mahoning Inn
Mahoning Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Lehighton
Spring City, PA
“A perfectly hospitable, clean, and inexpensive little motel”
Reviewed 24 August 2007

My husband and I visited the area for a 4 night/5 day extended weekend, primarily, to visit the Eagles training camp at Lehigh University, and secondly, to do some low-key exploring around and about Jim Thorpe/Bear Mountain (from Phoenixville area). It turned out to be a great central location for going just about everywhere! Although it was a Nascar weekend, we reserved the room 2 weeks in advance and received a great rate; half what we would have paid had we booked at the Comfort Inn down the street!! After reading previous posts, I am a little perplexed over what anyone could have found so sinister about this little roadside motel. The manager was there to meet and greet us at check-in, and was both professional and pleasant. He made it a point to catch up with us after we were settled in to make sure everything was acceptable with the room. My first forray into the "real working world" was in hotel housekeeping when I was 19 and I have since developed over-critical (almost comical) room inspection habits that never fail to make my husband laugh (at me, with me?), watching me peak under beds and behind shower curtains, into bathroom ceiling vents (don't ask), and under blankets, leaving no sheet or pillow unturned, looking for signs of previous life. I know what to expect from a motel room (and what not to expect), but I was really happy with how incredibly clean and updated our room was. We enjoyed our stay and would most definitely visit again!

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank eagleeye

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
PA
Reviewed 22 August 2007

Bugs in the room, stains on the sheets. Staying at this "hotel" was an disgusting experience I'd prefer not to think about. Spend the extra money and take the Hampton or Comfort Inn near the turnpike, you won't wake up with bug bites-I'm serious!

• Liked — Getting the hell out of there!
  • Disliked — Bugs in the rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank rjmann
NYC
Reviewed 20 August 2007

We stayed here for one night. Checking in was fine, the people there are very nice and they will go their way to please you. Our room was remodeled and it was very spacious for us. The air conditioning and television worked properly. There are many food attractions around this area so it wasn't bad.

The bathroom was very nice although the water temperature fluctuated a lot. It was scalding hot for one minute, then freezing cold the next. The bathtub is very slippery. The beds were not that comfortable. The mattress were terrible to sleep in. We were awoken by ants and ticks crawling around our beds and our rooms. It was horrible. Ants were in our luggage, bed, floor and clothing. What a disappointment. If they can get rid of the ticks (which left red marks on us) and ants, this place would have been pretty nice.

• Liked — The people and service
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank fireball50
Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2007

This was our second stay here in two months. Yes we came back so that says alot for this motel. We came back to this motel because our room was always clean, comfortable, and affordable. We stayed here for 5 nights this trip; 4 nights in May 2007. Nothing SCARY about this place. Staff are friendly and our room was well equipped with microwave, refrig, and other items that made it feel close to home. Nearby restaurants are wonderful...especiallly the Boulevard! The manager is very personable and was able to accommodate every need we had; the staff never complained about answering our questions or seeing to our needs. No one was rude to us. Rates are extremely reasonable. This is a great value for your dollar. We will return to the Mahoning Inn for our next stay in the Jim Thorpe-Lehighton, PA area and for that wonderful Pennsylvania charm. Thank you staff and management of the Mahoning Inn!!

• Liked — It was clean, comfortable and affordable.
  • Disliked — I have nothing that I "liked least" aobut this motel. Everything was fine.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank LHHFlorida
New Hope
Reviewed 21 May 2007

According to the guidelines of this review web site, I am not allowed to detail certain things that I didn't like about this hotel. So really, all I am allowed to say here, is IT WAS THE WORST, MOST SCARY MOTEL STAY I EVER HAD. I am not kidding -- I am from NYC, and I am no babe in the woods. I am a seasoned traveller, and I have been everywhere from Morocco to...You name it. THIS WAS THE WORST, MOST SCARY STAY, and when my bf gave his credit card info at the desk, committing us to two weeks, that was all she wrote. We were OBLIGATED to stay, even though the manager and all the staff knew, and admitted, we had EVERY RIGHT to want to get out of that place. I guess that's all I can say here, as I am not allowed to get into specific details of what was going on at that motel. I can just assure you, no honest, normal person would want to be there for more than maybe a night or two (if that).

• Liked — THE DAY WE CHECKED OUT AND DROVE AWAY
  • Disliked — STAYING THERE FOR MORE THAN FIVE MINUTES
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cooper567
Petersburg PA
Reviewed 11 February 2007

Rural PA and not a lot of choices. On the internet found two chains which were close to $100. But I looked a little harder and found this motel. Our room was $60 and very large and comfortable. Bathroom was very clean. Microwave and refrig also in the room. Very heavy dark drapes so room was dark for a change. Could park close to the room.
Staff at the desk were very nice and helpful. Two family restaurants next door. We ate both dinner and breakfast at the Beacon. Lots on the menu and good prices. We would definitely stay at this motel again.

Stayed February 2007
Montrose, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 November 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Mahoning Inn during the weekend of the Fall Festival in October in Jim Thorpe along with another couple. The motel has some age on it but was recently remodeled. There is no pool, but we didn't need one. There was coffee and hot water for tea 24 hours. It's not the Ritz, but it was clean and comfortable and the staff was courteous and helpful. It is about a 5 or 10 minute drive to Jim Thorpe. It's not far from the Turnpike exit.

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — No pool, outdated
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
3 Thank Deb L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lehighton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
Inn at Jim Thorpe
Pocono Resort Conference Center
Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa
#6 of 6 in White Haven

Been to Mahoning Inn? Share your experiences!