“Tried to like it ... really I did”
Review of The Road Toad

The Road Toad
Ranked #6 of 39 Restaurants in Ligonier
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Pennsylvania
“Tried to like it ... really I did”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I wanted to like the Road Toad. Honestly. It has a great view of Loyalhanna Creek,and it's been a fixture along Route 30, near Ligonier, for years. But after eating there a half-dozen times, I have to say I've never had a meal that didn't fall short. Maybe they just don't do salads and lighter fare well — companions have raved about seafood dishes and meaty meals. Maybe I expect more cordiality in the wait staff, or a better wine selection. But I can't say I've ever had a great time, or a great meal, at this pretty little spot.

• Visited February 2012
, Owner at The Road Toad, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Hi.. This is Ron and I am the owner of The Road Toad. I want to thank you for visiting us and for your comments. I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations on your visit. It is our goal for every guest to be pleased with their experience.. Please come back again and ask for me! I would love to meet you and make sure this visit is over the top with excellence! Thank you! Ron

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great find”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We thought we wouldn't need a reservation on Sat, night in off-season, but wrong! Food & service were great!

Visited April 2012
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
“Romance”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Awesome Wine also good food and atomsphere Will be back again. great scenery. service was good and the ppl fun to be with.

Black Lick, PA
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We stopped here for dinner after driving past it for years. It was always along the way but never the destination. I believe I had the Best meal I have ever eaten. This will soon become a destination of choice. Patty was our waitress, and a very nice gentleman stopped a couple of times to check how our dinner was going. I had the steak and cake. It was a 6 oz filet that was perfect. The crab cake was the best crab I have ever had. I could not believe what a gem of a restaurant I have been passing by all these years. The wedding soup was great also. So worth the stop. The setting was very tasteful. I imagine the view during the day or early evening would be beautiful overlooking the water but it was dark and we were unable to see it. Stop by and give it a try. You will be pleasantly pleased. Enjoy.

• Visited January 2012
Media, Pennsylvania
“Jewel along the Loyalhanna”
Reviewed 20 December 2011

We recently visited the Road Toad for lunch during a visit to Latrobe. What a wonderful treat. The food and service was outstanding and The Road Toad had magnificent views of the Loyalhanna Creek. It was hard to choose from the varied menu, but I had the grilled tuna steak salad and my husband had a reuben sandwich. Both were delicious. We wished that we were going to be in the area to have dinner because the appetizers and entres sounded so delicious. There is also a great selection of wines and beers. The restaurant is only open for lunch on the weekends, but if you are visiting in the Ligonier-Latrobe area this is a great restaurant to try. We are looking forward to stopping again when we are visiting in Latrobe.

• Visited November 2011