“Wonderful Food & Service”
Review of Brasserie du Soleil - CLOSED

Brasserie du Soleil
Cuisines: French, Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Food & Service”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had mushroom soup to die for! The meal was very very nicely prepared, our waitress was a doll & the overall atmosphere was lovely.

Visited July 2014

Greensburg, Pennsylvania
“A hidden gem and must try!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I do not write reviews that often. Mostly when something was horribly bad and I want to warn everyone, but last night I had an experience at dinner that I must share. Probably the BEST dinner I have ever had!

My girlfriend and I were heading to Ligonier to grab a late dinner at a small diner she has been wanting to try. Well before we went in I noticed a sign on the door stating “Cash Only” and I didn’t have any. We decided to gamble and just searched Google for restaurants in Ligonier. My girlfriend wanted to try something new, not the usual BBQ, Chinese, burger joint, etc. Fourth down on the list was a place called Brasserie du Soleil. We went to the website and looked at the menu, and of course the prices. Didn't look bad, so let's go.

What caught our eye was first that every dish is made to order. Then there were awesome descriptions of the food with terms like, “marsala reduction” and “balsamic fig sauce”, just to name a few. Next was the prices, very reasonable for individual, chef prepared selections. So, off to the Brasserie du Soleil!

Very easy to find, two blocks east on East Main Street from the circle (roundabout). Parking was plentiful at 7:30 PM on a Friday night. Especially for being in the town proper.
We opened the door to a cozy lobby area that was bright with burgundy being the dominant color, but not too bright. The waiter was quick to welcome us and seat us. During the entire visit he was attentive and very knowledgeable with the menu, wines, and pairings. Very good and up-selling, but not pushy.

We decided to start with an appetizer and chose the Fondue de Brie. What a way to start a meal! THE bakes brie was enveloped in honey and topped with sliced almonds and cranberries. When you cut through into the cheese, it was a soft, molten, and cheesy heaven. Now brie on the bagette would be tasty enough, but the texture and flavor combination created by adding the almond and cranberry was amazing! The best part was that this appetizer was not overwhelming and we still had room for the rest of our meal.

My girlfriend ordered the Poulet du Soleil which was chicken breast prepared with mushrooms in a marsala reduction. I ordered the Seared Duck breast. Both entrees had the same sides. The vegetable was green beans that were seared with shallots and some light glaze I could not identify, but was awesome. Then there was the pomme puree (basically like mashed potatoes. The difference, these were white truffle pomme puree and were out of this world with flavor. No gravy required and definitely the best “mashed potatoes” I have ever had.

I was pretty much done after the appetizer and entrée, but my girlfriend wanted to try a crepe for dessert. They have three dessert crepes and they all sound amazing, but I can only speak for the Crepes Soleil. This huge sweet crepe, definitely glad we shared, was filled with a chocolate hazelnut and cognac infused strawberries. It was accompanied with whipped cream. It was heavenly, light, and refreshing.

Now I can eat and have eaten in five countries outside the United States, including France and THIS was, hands down, the best meal I have ever had! As a “plump” individual who likes to eat and is very good at it, the food and experience makes the Brasserie du Soleil a must try and I had to share this hidden gem in Ligoneir. No matter how far the drive, it will be worth it and you will not be disappointed!

• Visited August 2014
“Great all around.”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

So glad to find a good restaurant in the Ligonier area. Food was delicious, fresh & flavorful. Service was attentive & pleasant . Eric did a great job explaining all of the menu items & helping us select our meals. I will definitely be returning!

Visited July 2014
“Great French”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Love this place! The atmosphere is calming and cozy. The food is delicious French with large portions. The crepes are the best I have ever tasted. The evening is like a mini trip to a café in France.

• Visited July 2014
Ebensburg, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Wine”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were treating another couple to dinner at your restaurant Ssaturday evening--June 7th. We were the only four people there. The food was quite good but I have a problem with the wine. Our server told us he did not have a wine list but could tell us what you had on hand. We ordered a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, infact we ended up ordering two bottles. I was very surprised to see on the bill that the wine was $45.00 a bottle. Since we were treating this couple, we did not want to make a fuss over prices, but you need a printed wine list with prices. We would never order a $45.00 bottle of wine at your restaurant.
Robert and Margaret Lazor